Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Not remembering childhood.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello Guys.

I don't know if this thread is gonna make any sense.

Somebody has added me on Facebook who lived near me when I was growing up, he was telling me a bit about what I used to be like when I was younger. It felt nice, in a way cos I don't really remember anything from my childhood. The few things I do remember are like having operations.

He seemed to be able to remember loads, he remembered that I had a hole in my heart, he also remembered that I used to climb trees and go on bike rides. (These are things that I don't remember) Obv I remember I had a hole in my heart, cos my mum told me.

I dunno if it's normal to not remember things from your childhood. I have spoken to my family about this and they have told me things but even with them telling me I can't actually remember for myself. It's quite frustrating.

I have thought about this for a while, but the conversation I have just had has made me think about it some more. Sorry if it's a pointless thread.

Just wondering if anybody else has been in this situation where they don't remember their childhood. Do you think it means you had a bad or good childhood? I don't know.

Thanks guys :heart:

Comments

• Options
    I think its quite common to not remember particular events and to bump into someone who can remember stuff about you or stuff you do but its quite rare for you to not remember anything at all. Do you not remember where you lived, who your friends were, where you played?
  • Options
    I can remember where I lived cos I still live here. I remember playing on the park just outside my house, That's all really.
    And obv having operations. It's not normal I don't think.
  • Options
    i don't have many childhood memories.

i remember quite a lot of the shows i watched, but not what they were about

i remember enjoying mcdonalds a lot back then (well i still kind of enjoy it)

and i remember my first mental illness encounter... i was actually 9 when my mental illness journey started, so from their- my childhood, you could say, was taken from me

so yeah... i think i'd say i remember the important parts- but not details
  • Options
    I don't remember much from early childhood. Some people do, and some people don't.
  • Options
    My earliest memory is when I was three and I can recall most events with relative ease if I have a prompt. But I've got a good memory for some things like that. If you can't remember anything from your childhood at all that does seem quite odd. I know some people with difficult childhoods can have difficulty recalling certain things but idk I'm not a psychologist.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies.. Just got me thinking and wondered if others were in the same situation of not remembering things.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2
  • Options
    Had a chat with housemate and picc. None of use can remember anything with any detail without some serious effort
  • Options
    Thanks Fiend and picc :) feel better bout things now. Thanks all x

• Options
    Accipiter wrote: »
    I remember more or less nothing. I think my earliest memory is only a few years ago. I am pretty awful when it comes to remembering things.

don't worry too much about that, my memory is terrible- and i mean, like the worst

from really extreme things.. did i eat a meal tonight (sometimes i have 2) for the simple reason i can't remember it, to little things.. such as watching emmerdale, then during the break- forget if it's over or i'm about to watch it or what.

i'm going to start a thread about memory and mental health because i think it is an interesting topic
  • Options
    A thread seems cool :)