Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sleep

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay it seems that everytime I Google my sleeping symtoms I get narcolepsy as the results. This link sounds like lot like me http://ask.metafilter.com/175207/Disabled-Sleeper-Seeks-Advice .

Okay I'll go through exactly what happens. I can sleep at 8pm and wake up at 1pm and I can wake up to an alarm clock once then the night after I sleep right through it. I've tried changing the wake up tune and tried waking up to the radio with no luck. I've tried putting my phone in vibrate and putting it in my pocket, I've even tied up an alarm clock to an amplifier and putting it on 100% volume plus put my phone in my pocket and I sleep through it and it ends up waking up the whole house so they end up getting annoyed at me.

College are making threats to kick me out because they think it's all an excuse when I tell them the reason why I turn up late. Makes me hurt inside and wants to cry. Going to the doctors on Monday and really want a note and some tests because I am getting a job soon and don't want to be fired for something that is not my fault and completely out of my control. My parents think one can just learn how to wake up in the morning but I don't think that is true and they also think I am making up excuses. I fall asleep randomly in college hours and a teacher had to shake me.

Comments

• Options
    Hi XHelenBX

Online symptom checkers are just a guide and should always be used with caution as i'm sure you are aware. Your doing the right thing in going to the doctors. At the very least, it might be an idea to keep college informed that you are seeking some medical advice as more often than not, keeping them in the loop can take some of the pressure of you in college.

Let us know how things go on Monday and good luck.

Phil :thumb:
  • Options
    phil01 wrote: »
    Hi XHelenBX

Online symptom checkers are just a guide and should always be used with caution as i'm sure you are aware. Your doing the right thing in going to the doctors. At the very least, it might be an idea to keep college informed that you are seeking some medical advice as more often than not, keeping them in the loop can take some of the pressure of you in college.

Let us know how things go on Monday and good luck.

Phil :thumb:

Oh my appointment isn't on Monday. That's when I'm booking it! Sorry if I said it was on Monday.
  • Options
    XHelenBX wrote: »
    Oh my appointment isn't on Monday. That's when I'm booking it! Sorry if I said it was on Monday.

There are other things that could be going on; as Phil says the symptom checkers are just a guide. My sister had similar symptoms when she was diagnosed with ME, for example, but a lot of people with depression or mood disorders also have problems sleeping/waking.

Don't prejudge it, just tell your GP everything you can and try to think in advance about anything that might help you :)