Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Bulimia/Binge Eating :/

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello!
So this is my first post on the discussion boards. I am going to try and post more and also try help others through experiences of my own if possible.

I want to start of by talking about Eating disorders, I was diagnosed with Bulimia/Binge eating disorder last year. I've had symptoms of this way before though and was on waiting lists on and off due to being referred for second opinions to outpatients.

It's not easy, I'm waiting for treatment and I do have a appointment coming up on Monday with a doctor who'll just weigh and assess me. To be honest I've always had problems with eating, it started of with a fussy eater and then I started missing and skipping meals. Now I binge on lots of sugary foods and throw it back up:crying:. I think I spend way to much on this and don't do enough to look after myself.

I am now trying to eat properly, have three meals and try stop myself but it will all come in time. I am waiting for some CBT input which will hopefully help me to deal with this much better. I am a tad nervous about meeting this doctor and telling her everything without her thinking of me like a freak. I guess I have to drop that barrier and move forwards.

Has anyone else or do you currently have an Eating problem?

Comments

• Options
    Hey Sonia,

*Big hugs*

I'm glad you're awaiting help for this, as it could be a difficult step in taking. I admire you for that.

My eating problems are only getting worst, but I fear talking to others about it now, I have fortnightly bloods taken though, considering my electrolyte's are always low and my thyroid isn't the best either.

You inspire me, but I don't think I'd be ready in accepting help for it at the moment.

*hug* I wish you all the best.
  • Options
    Hey Sophie-Ann
    Thanks for your reply. I'm glad I'm not alone in this. Eating disorders are hard and they take up most of my time rather than concentrating on the important things I have the difficulty in letting go.
    I'm sorry to hear that your eating problems are not getting better. I really hope that things change for you.
    One step at a time. I spent far too long pretending things were okay until it got out of hand and
    Landed me in hospital. It then came to me that I need to stop and to get help before I damage my body.
    Stay strong! xxx
  • Options
    Yeah I've been in hosp once because of it, still hasn't gave me that 'scare' to accept anything though.

I wish you all the best in your recovery :)
  • Options
    Hi Sonia

I just wanted to say hi and a big *welcome* to the boards :wave:

It sounds like you're being really brave by facing up to your eating problems and trying to get the help you need. I thought your post was really open and honest, so I hope you can find some good support here from others - hopefully it will help you to share your progress on here.

It's a real shame that you have to wait so long for treatment, especially as you're willing and want to make a recovery, but hang in there - hopefully you'll soon get the treatment you need.

*hug*
  • Options
    Hi Spanner
    Thanks for your kind words. Really appreciate it.
    I'm currently still waiting for help. The doctor didnt come in because they had experiencing family issues
    so was unable to see someone. I'm hoping I get to see her soon though. Worried about weigh in's and seeing the dietician.
    :/
  • Options
    Weigh in's are always difficult, I still hate stepping on the scales. But in a postive light, they're doing it so they can monitor you, and make sure you don't drop below a certain weight. It's because they want to see you happy and healthy.

I've never experienced having a dietician yet, but my guess is from other people I've spoken to, is that they want to give you a diet that has a lot of nutrition in. For you know purging/lax/diuretics/diet pills take out most of the chemicals in your body, and basically dries all the nutrition up...

But you'll get there, and you've already taken the hardest step in reaching out. Proud of you.
  • Options
    I find it so embarrassing standing on the scales. When I have other hospital appointments in other clinics they usually weigh me and if the scale moves it makes me kind of conscious that its because I'm fat.
    I guess it's important they weigh me because they have to keep a record of fluctuating weight.
    I am yet to see a dietician and yup they record what you eat, and give out advice. I have seen one before way before binging started and they kind of put me down as a fussy eater. I'm happy that things are starting to look up because usually this doesn't happen and I get no where. Just keeping my fingers crossed.
    Have to up my nutrients. Low on everything. Thanks Sophie <3
    Hope your doing ok. xxx
  • Options
    I try and make a joke getting on the scales. I normally end up going ''Papa smurf would be better at this'' :P

But you're not fat, and I know it's difficult to see, you're strong and I can see you're determined to keep at it, and get the support, well done you!:)
  • Options
    Thank you!
    Yep. I used to use the fat very often hence people say I'm tall and I look okay. It has been very hard to think different but I think I can do it. I just need to fight for help that I need and be ready for the change.