Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Medication

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey :wave:

So I opened up to Becki today, rather a lot, to where I told her to look away so she didn't see my emotion :O

She asked if I ever thought about medication, and that she'll talk to the team and the doctors at CAMHS to see if they'd recommend medication or not. Anyone experienced it? I'm guessing it could be to stop the silly thoughts in my head...

She also mentioned weekly long-term support, when CMHT get in contact with her, which she thinks might be better, but also because she thinks face-to-face support works better with me.

Has anyone been on medication? Or had the option for medication or weekly long-term support?

Comments

• Options
    I'm not too sure, she never said what she just said 'medication', she more then likely said that 'cause I told her about my plan to get away from this world in March. It was pretty difficult to be honest. She's noticed when I go home I come back 10x worst. Sillyness.

Yeah, I finally accepted the help April 2012, after being offered it in November 2011 - I guess I didn't want labels stuck all over me, but then found out that everyone needs a bit of support now and then. I think I'm just scared in all honesty, and I HATE sharing my emotions, for the sake of being 'pathetic'.

Thank you! x
  • Options
    Hmm guess so, I've wrote letters to her before but felt so awkward waiting for her to finish reading it, that I tend to drop hints and she normally picks up on the hints which is helpful.

I'm glad she understood why I couldn't tell her more further from the time, and we spoke about the fears of why I couldn't etc...
  • Options
    I don't have her email, but she said I can phone her whenever needed, which makes it easier. She is lovely, more hyper then me at times hahaha! Might be able to, could try that. Lol, I don't think it is a word, but hey ho :P thank youuu!
  • Options
    I can safely say I wouldn't be alive without my medication. It's not right for everyone but it's really worked for me.
  • Options
    I think sometimes people get sick of their medication because they either don't see an immediate result, or perhaps might not realise that the meds are having an effect, just more so stopping things from getting worse.

Sent from my whyayePad using Tapatalk
  • Options
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    I think sometimes people get sick of their medication because they either don't see an immediate result, or perhaps might not realise that the meds are having an effect, just more so stopping things from getting worse.

Yeah, I've noticed that with some people, where they take them for like a week and don't see a result so stop. Or there's the people that stop and start..

I guess if I did end up on medication, I wouldn't want to go home, for obvious reasons.
  • Options
    Well done for opening to up to Becki. That's a very brave thing to do.

I have anti depressants, but in all fairness I don't take them that often. But I am getting better, and I notice a huge difference in myself when I have been taking them. They do help, but as others have said it varies from person to person. The doctors will help, they will be able to let you know what medication is best needed, and they monitor you quite often to make sure there isn't side effects, or that the medication are working or not working. I was worried about starting on medication, cause I didn't think it would help, but it does help.

Hope that helps. Good luck x
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Well done for opening up :) Very brave :)
    It sounds like you're getting really good support from Becki :)
    I've been on anti depressants for 4 and a half years now and they've enabled me to finally get some stability into my life. It's been a long process - so don't expect everything to change immediately. I found the meds in combination with therapy really, really helped me.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies.

Guess it's a waiting game, still don't see to like the idea... I know it's not for everyone but I really do think I do better by just having someone to talk to...
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    in which case make that point clear :) No point going in the wrong direction (although due to the resource cuts they do prefer to send you in a medication direction first)
  • Options
    True, maybe I can skip the medication, I'll talk to Becki about it, and hopefully we both can sort something out. :)
  • Options
    True, maybe I can skip the medication, I'll talk to Becki about it, and hopefully we both can sort something out. :)

In my experience, medication with support (and specific medication support from your prescriber to monitor dose) has been the best way to get through a crisis. You don't have to keep taking meds forever if you start, but (as others have said) if you do start you must take them, and see it through for at least 3 months before you know if they are having an effect.
  • Options
    There's so much to think about... Like I wouldn't want to be on them cos of visiting family, and parents always go through my stuff when I visit, so it would probs fire things up there... Guess talking about all the pros and cons would be helpful
  • Options
    There's so much to think about... Like I wouldn't want to be on them cos of visiting family, and parents always go through my stuff when I visit, so it would probs fire things up there... Guess talking about all the pros and cons would be helpful

You could put them in a "paracetamol" box, or a plain medicine bottle, or something when you go to the parents. There's always ways around that.
  • Options
    That could work, and make up some nonsense like always.