Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Do we just accept this is the way things are?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has it just become the normal thing to just, cheat and be dishonest to people now? Like is it just turned into a normal human reaction now, that being honest and not sleeping around when you're in a relationship - or any aspect of cheating.

I'm not in a relationship, and haven't been for half a year, but it's just witnessing everything around me.

Like i woke up this morning to this quote;
‎"Don't let your girlfriend speak to another boy about her problems, a shoulder to cry on becomes a dick to ride on"

And it's just like really, has it got to that point now...
All i see when i go to parties, go see friends, go down town... Just people that can't be trusted.
It's all fucked isn't it, society...

Comments

• Options
    errr no
  • Options
    although tbh, i think theres a grain of truth in that little rhyme, however coarse.

However its not for anyone to prevent their partner speaking to anyone, but if someone is having most of their emotional needs met by someone who is not their partner, then its a slippery slope to dumpsville usually. Its not wrong to do it, but it generally is a sign of bigger problems in the relationship, and if my partner was bending the ear about his personal problems and feelings to another girl that wasnt me and crying on her shoulder, rather than talking to me about it, id definitely be concerned
  • Options
    although tbh, i think theres a grain of truth in that little rhyme, however coarse.

However its not for anyone to prevent their partner speaking to anyone, but if someone is having most of their emotional needs met by someone who is not their partner, then its a slippery slope to dumpsville usually. Its not wrong to do it, but it generally is a sign of bigger problems in the relationship, and if my partner was bending the ear about his personal problems and feelings to another girl that wasnt me and crying on her shoulder, rather than talking to me about it, id definitely be concerned

Oh i completely agree with everything you've said, it's just you wouldn't need to worry so much if you actually trusted your other half - but you'd still be concerned which means there's an element of doubt.
  • Options
    Shikari wrote: »

Like i woke up this morning to this quote;
    ‎"Don't let your girlfriend speak to another boy about her problems, a shoulder to cry on becomes a dick to ride on"

That made me giggle :P Sorry...
  • Options
    No need to apologize :') If it brightened your day, go for it.
  • Options
    Shikari, you're 17/18 ish or thereabouts? The situation as you describe it, has been in existence for a number of years. Whilst perhaps the advent of technology might enable people to find new avenues to cheat, it also on the other hand enables people to more easily discover the unfaithfulness of others. Its all swings and round abouts. Both sexes cheat and have done for whoever knows how long, and I suspect will continue to do so for ever more.
  • Options
    Oh i completely agree with everything you've said, it's just you wouldn't need to worry so much if you actually trusted your other half - but you'd still be concerned which means there's an element of doubt.

I don't actually think that it's about trust, it's about being sensible. If someone is getting all their emotional support from someone who isn't you, then you don't have the closeness and intimacy that they have. And they're more likely to start seeing their emotional support in a romantic sense. After all, they won't have loads to cry about if your relationship is going well.

I think it's actually pretty reasonable to be wary of others you don't know who are very emotionally attached to your partner. After all, 50% of people in a relationship who have a poaching attempt made on them will run off with the poacher.
  • Options
    A thought a shoulder to cry on was instant friendzone...
    I'm perhaps feeling more jaded and cynical than usual, but I suspect the problem is the more adolescents seem to be paired off now than used to be the case, and they think they're in long term relationships.
  • Options

That's typically how it goes in my experience :crazyeyes
  • Options
    I'm perhaps feeling more jaded and cynical than usual, but I suspect the problem is the more adolescents seem to be paired off now than used to be the case, and they think they're in long term relationships.
    I thought the same, instant friendzone.
    I don't actually think that it's about trust, it's about being sensible. If someone is getting all their emotional support from someone who isn't you, then you don't have the closeness and intimacy that they have. And they're more likely to start seeing their emotional support in a romantic sense. After all, they won't have loads to cry about if your relationship is going well.

I think it's actually pretty reasonable to be wary of others you don't know who are very emotionally attached to your partner. After all, 50% of people in a relationship who have a poaching attempt made on them will run off with the poacher.
    I know that 50% is just your opinion, but the fact you say 50% just makes me feel eugh.

I suppose my original post didn't quite cover what i was trying to say (My heads everywhere)
    But my question was meant to be, do we just expect to get cheated on, expect our partners to be unfaithful at some point, and being left for someone else just part of life...

My recent mindset has sort of put me off, people like i met this really pretty girl, we liked each other lots, hit off straight away. But constantly digging at the back of my head was "You're attractive, and i doubt this is going to be forever, so what is the point in us getting together, and 'falling in love', when you just know it's always going to end?

For reference i'm 18, so still quite young. But recently relationships, instead of ending before finding someone else, people just seem to jump ship, and it's just soul destroying.
  • Options
    I think the issue is that at the age of 18, how many deep and meaningful relationships have you managed to have since you started dating to be able to properly understand and relate to things?

I would say as I have before that I dont think its happening any more or less. It just happens or it doesnt. Someone might have a completely different experience to you and think the world is all hunky dory.
  • Options
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    I think the issue is that at the age of 18, how many deep and meaningful relationships have you managed to have since you started dating to be able to properly understand and relate to things?

I would say as I have before that I dont think its happening any more or less. It just happens or it doesnt. Someone might have a completely different experience to you and think the world is all hunky dory.
    Only once to be fair
  • Options
    But I do kind of see where you are coming from, interesting concept.
  • Options

depends on the person. I do trust my partner, but this is one of the things i trust him not to do. In fact id be more bothered about him having a very close emotional attachment to another woman than i would if he fucked them.
    I trust him a fair bit. About as much as its possible to trust someone without being an idiot. Weve been together a long time, but im not sure i believe in friend-zone, as emotional connection is quite erotic imo
  • Options
    Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    Well I trusted my ex with everything, even if I did feel uneasy about stuff I still trusted him. I asked him to back off with talking to a few of his female friends just because they were blatantly flirting, he didn't really listen, I still trusted him. I, however, wasn't allowed to wear what I wanted, see who I want, go where I wanted, I couldn't go swimming or see my best friend, couldn't talk to guys without him freaking out. All cos he 'couldn't' trust me. And after all that he's the one who cheated... It all depends on the people involved. You can tell if someones the type to cheat. There's a lack of respect these days and its causing I whole lot of shit for the people who do care
  • Options
    I know that 50% is just your opinion, but the fact you say 50% just makes me feel eugh.

It's not my opinion. Research has shown it's about that high, read it in the Grauniad's "love by numbers" column.
    But my question was meant to be, do we just expect to get cheated on, expect our partners to be unfaithful at some point, and being left for someone else just part of life...

My recent mindset has sort of put me off, people like i met this really pretty girl, we liked each other lots, hit off straight away. But constantly digging at the back of my head was "You're attractive, and i doubt this is going to be forever, so what is the point in us getting together, and 'falling in love', when you just know it's always going to end?

It comes down to mindset, really. No, a relationship probably won't be forever, especially not at 18. But it depends how you want to look at it. Yes, you'll probably split up eventually, but that does mean you shouldn't have a good time along the way? I don't even mean sexually, why deprive yourself of good company with a good person because it might end in the future? You might get hit by a bus tomorrow, after all.

Since I split from the wife I've had a couple of good experiences with good people. For a variety of reasons nothing more will come of them, but that doesn't mean I've not had a fantastic time.
    I thought a shoulder to cry on was instant friendzone...

I think it really depends on the person. But you only have to look at the number of threads on this board about how people have fallen in love with their best friends to understand that a deep emotional connection is extremely powerful.

The "friend zone" is mythical. It either means that there's absolutely no sexual attraction with someone, or, in many more cases, that someone doesn't want to screw up a good friendship by taking the risk of having more. It's perfectly possible to have a strong friendship with someone without being sexually attracted to them, but having a strong friendship doesn't make someone less sexually attractive.
  • Options
    I think every relationship has a 76% chance of at least one person cheating at some point (based on 60% of men admitting cheating and 40% of women) however there may be a lot of serial cheats who have lots of unfaithful relationships who skew the data. What I would take from this is in an individual relationship the odds are not great, but it comes down to your world view. Do you distrust everyone and never enjoy life or do you go for it and open yourself up to being hurt. I've been cheated on in every prior relationship but I am in a new one now and have never felt better about things.

In a lot of way relationships are a lot like faith. You can never *know* 100%. You just have to believe :-)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I think every relationship has a 76% chance of at least one person cheating at some point (based on 60% of men admitting cheating and 40% of women)

It looks as though you've calculated 24% of relationships have both partners cheating, 36% has just the man cheating, 16% has just the women cheating and 24% have both parties faithful. I suspect the proportion of relationships with both parties cheating will be higher.
  • Options
    The "friend zone" is mythical. It either means that there's absolutely no sexual attraction with someone, or, in many more cases, that someone doesn't want to screw up a good friendship by taking the risk of having more. It's perfectly possible to have a strong friendship with someone without being sexually attracted to them, but having a strong friendship doesn't make someone less sexually attractive.
    I come from the world of queer, and I don't understand these strange concepts - more people I've had sex with were my friends than not
  • Options
    I don't think its very different: you have friends you want to screw and friends you don't. But being a friend doesn't mean you're less likely to want to screw them; you're probably more likely to