Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I don't know if I've fallen for him...?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have this "friend" who just so happens to be male ... at first we were just work colleagues but being a similar age we have built quite a solid friendship...but recently I have been questionning whether I actually want more and would like a relationship with him? My view point has always been "why ruin a perfectly good friendship by complicating it with a relationship"...but now I'm not so sure?

We spend time together outside of work - gym or dinner, etc - but we always have other friends around too - apart from the gym. I guess I'm not physically attracted to him, but I love his sense of humour, the fact he's kind, caring and considerate and generally I just love being around him.

I know this is also going to sound a bit odd but we've had conversations about what we want from life - children, marriage, careers, etc and we are both on the same wave length - we both want the same things.

I am really confused as to whether I just love him as a friend or if I'm genuinely falling for him. All my previous relationships have been mid-term/a bit of fun - nothing serious...then I decided to take a break from relationships to focus on my career.

However, due to everything else this year - I seem to be in the process of re-evaluating my whole life and my previous ambitions are not the same and I don't know how much of this "thing" for him is genuine or just me in a confused state...especially when he has been there a lot for me this year.

I guess my concern is not wanting to ruin our friendship if he doesn't feel the same way!?!

Comments

• Options
    I've had a similar conversation with another friend recently.

Best I could come up with at the time for her, which with more thought still stands, is that if you've got a good friendship going on now, then he's probably not going anywhere fast - so give it some time and you'll maybe start to get consistent thoughts on the subject over time. Is it just an idea that comes up when you're bored/lonely, or is it constant?
  • Options
    It's more constant now than before but I've been in this exact same situation before and when I finally asked the other guy out he said no (which wasn't an issue) but then he wouldn't speak to me which was awkward because prior to that we were really good friends.
  • Options
    More constant now than when?

More constant this week than it was last week, or more constant for the last 5 weeks than it was the time before that?

I'm pathetic about these things, but my tendancy would be to try and drift towards things becoming more 'datey' and see how they go, rather than asking him out outright.
  • Options
    but my tendancy would be to try and drift towards things becoming more 'datey' and see how they go, rather than asking him out outright.

:yes::thumb:
  • Options
    More so this week than last - but then this week I'm a complete mess with the whole xmas/bereavement/work stress thing thats going on...?

I think your right - I'll just see how this thing works out - if its meant to be it will happen on its own...
  • Options
    Weeks where the rest of life is sub optimal probably isn't the top week to try and work out what you really want from someone who's currently a friend.
  • Options
    I'm having a similar thing with a friend who has been very kind to me recently. She is attractive and I've always thought that, but I think her kindness has made me notice her like "that" when otherwise I wouldn't have. She's been supportive and it's easy to get other feelings when someone supports you like that.

Honestly I think you may be confusing that sort of support with a romantic support, especially if you're in a sad and lonely place at the moment. If you're still feeling like this in 6-8 weeks maybe think about it more. If you like him as a friend but you're not excited by the idea of jumping his bones then perhaps you are getting things confused.
  • Options
    Yeah I agree...I think I'll see what happens - I could imagine being with him long term but without all the messy complications a relationship would have...I guess I'll just see how I feel when my head is not quite in such a mess!
  • Options
    Without being too vulgar, if you can't imagine wild sex with him and you don't get a tingle when you think of his hot bum then you probably don't want a relationship with him. But that's ok. I have friend who I love dearly and want to spend lots of time with, but I don't and never would want a sexual relationship with her. She's more like a little sister and that's a strong love too. Don't dismiss the value of a great friendship by thinking a romantic relationship is somehow of more value.

Equally though, if you do get a tingle down *there* when you think of his cheeky smile, definitely crack on.
  • Options
    The more time goes on the more I actually love this guy. I don't know what to do because I don't want to ruin our friendship but I want more than that...so much more...
  • Options
    Sounds like you're pretty sure now buddy, give it another month, then give us one more update.

If that sounds like a shit idea, you should probably ask him out now!
  • Options
    I don't know if asking him is a good idea - I don't want it to mess up the really good friendship we have...arghh life is so complicated sometimes!!!!
  • Options
    Hi WhiteLillies,

Life is indeed complicated sometimes!! It's good news though that it seems you have followed your feelings and they have led you to wanting more then friendship.

It's always tricky to share your feelings with a friend at the risk of losing them - are there any signs (like body language or things he says) on his part about his feelings for you? When you hang out, can some be considered dates? Does he ever ask you out alone and then friends end up joining you?

You could also try flirting and see how he responds? Perhaps it'll happen more naturally and develop gradually with time :yes:

Good luck and keep us updated :)
  • Options
    I'm naturally flirty with guys to be honest but he just sees it as friendliness I think...

Nothing specific makes me think he feels the same way - other than when I discuss other guys being cute, etc - he kinda goes weirdly quiet and I can't make out whether thats because he feels awkward discussing hot guys or whether he's jealous...meh I dunno...

I think I'll just let it develop naturally if its going to...
  • Options
    He's jealous. Definitely.

He won't want to fuck up a friendship either, you know. If you wait for him to grab you you may be waiting quite some time.

I think you sound fairly certain now:-)
  • Options
    If you're thinking about sex with other guys (commenting on who looks hot) but not him, then perhaps not.
  • Options
    I dunno, looking at the menu doesn't mean a great deal really.

The test really is what I said before: do you get turned on when you think about fucking him?
  • Options
    Maybe I'm not the "norm" but just because I think someone is hot doesn't mean I automatically want to sleep with them...it just means I think they are good looking and with previous experience, looks don't mean anything.

AR: I never looked at him in that way before but I wouldn't say no...
  • Options
    Seems normal to me! Piccolo and I perve together sometimes. Just because you might have a little drool over a hotdog with onions from a street seller, doesn't mean you wouldn't rather go home and bbq your own.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    Seems normal to me! Piccolo and I perve together sometimes. Just because you might have a little drool over a hotdog with onions from a street seller, doesn't mean you wouldn't rather go home and bbq your own.

:lol: I love your analogies!
  • Options
    Only because you're interested in willies... for me, maybe tacos or something involving fish...
  • Options
    Or members of the clergy....
  • Options
    Funnily enough that wasn't actually the links I had made...but now you put it like that!!
  • Options
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    Or members of the clergy....

Just the one member of the clergy actually.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 is an excellent person to peruse the menu with. Notices all the tasty treats I might otherwise miss :lol:
  • Options
    You lot can't half lower a tone......

The friend I mentioned previously had success with my suggestion of "lick his face and see what happens"