Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

earring expander question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Say you buy an 8g expander, like this. Does that mean that the starting size is 8g, or the thickest side is 8g?

Comments

• Options
    not sure. But its much better to use a cone shaped one - much easier to stretch with. Its also better to go with a natural material first. it allows your skin to breathe.
  • Options
    Those are hideous, I couldn't go in public with one :p

I'm not really stretching, I had 8g before but hadn't worn earrings for a while and when I went to put one in, they wouldn't go in, though 10g do - but I have more pairs in the larger size :p
  • Options
    ok so 8g is about 4.5 mm - so that could be either end of it. Most likely the biggest end. 10g is 3.5 mm which would be not far off a starting size. I'd go with a fishhook style for that purpose in that case!
  • Options
    Thanks. I forgot to ask in the last post, what would you suggest for a more natural material, like an organic material or a surgical metal type?

I wish I remembered how I did this back in the day, I think I just put them in. Its making me all queesy, lol. I'm contemplating just not wearing anything for ages with the hopes it will just go back to a regular earring size.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure the thickest bit is the size. You're best starting with a 3.5mm, anything below that is pretty pointless (not my words- the words of a piercer in a shop!)
    Put it in in the shower, it'll be easier.. don't go up to the max size straight away- I know with the cone ones (called tapers I think) Miss Riot was talking about you do it over a couple of days and secure it in place with tiny rubber bands, not sure about the spiral ones. You can get some nice tapers with patterns etc. on.
  • Options
    metal is good, but can make your ears smell, wood is good but don't get it wet, animal bone is also good as long as you're not vegan. I would go for bone tbh.
  • Options
    if you leave it long enough, it should go back.

i had mine up to 10mm (i dont know what that is in g) and they will shrink down to 4 or 5 if i leave them