Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Feeling pushed out

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So my sister has a boyfriend who is around ALL THE TIME. Literally every weekend he is at our house and follows her round like a lost puppy. The trouble is that me and my sister are into the same rockabilly scene and used to go to gigs and stuff together all the time. The trouble is now he's around he tags along too, and people now see us not as me and her as sisters, but them two as a couple and me who just tags along with them.

Its getting to the point now where i dont want to go to anymore gigs or dances because im just pushed out and left on my own. There is a new years eve gig on tonight but i really dont fancy going and being the third wheel again. I cant take any of my close friends as I know they wouldn enjoy it and i do know people who go but not enough to hang around with them, i'd feel too awkward. Plus people just seem to ignore me and talk to them

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Have you told her that you miss hanging out as sisters and would like to just go by yourselves sometime? She's probably too infatuated just now but she should understand that it's not the same for either of you.
  • Options
    I have and they both know how I feel. We had it all out a couple of months ago but nothing has changed. Plus i don want to be selfish and say him to him 'no, you cant come down so we can go out on our own'. Im sitting here preparing to bring the new year in alone and miserable
  • Options
    Love does that at first. Its sickening.

All I'd say is they'll calm down. You should go tonight anyway, rockabilly dances are very sociable.

If not I'd go!
  • Options
    Hmm well im going now, only cos my sister said she wanted me to, ad i guess being there and being alone is better than being at home and alone
  • Options
    Yeah you should definitely go! Sometimes the best nights out are the ones you think will be shit. Hopefully her boyfriend will be less sappy in 2013 ;)
  • Options
    Hi Lexi99,

How was the New Year's party in the end?

It's a hard situation when you feel you've lost the precious times you had with your sister, simply because she's dating someone. It's good that you have had a chat all together, but seems like they don't understand how hard this has been for you.

Could you possibly speak to your sister alone? Maybe you can both agree on going to one gig every 2 weeks or every month just you two? Perhaps he would understand if he only misses out every so often?
    Are you dating anyone at the moment? If yes could you do a double date kind of thing? And if no, does your sister's boyfriend have anyone that also likes gigs that he could bring when you all go out? It would perhaps feel less lonely if you had someone else with you.

Hope it went well, good luck :)
  • Options
    Well i did go in the end and i had a really good time. There were lots of people there we knew so that was fine.

When we spoke before we said something about doing something just the two of us every now and then but it hasnt really happened. Im not seeing anyone either, none of my friend would be into it, and he doesnt really have any friends other than the people we all know so thats not really an option
  • Options
    Do they never want some space? That would drive me mad but each to their own. Just shout 'get a room' next time she drags him along and they start getting soppy. I suspect it'll die down soon enough though.
  • Options
    The thing is they're not soppy with each other when we're out, not that bad anyway, it's just the fact that he's there