Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Lax use

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So I take around 20-30 lax everyday, and have been for around 6 months.

But I've experienced something really weird which is tricky to explain.

I feel like jittery, and keep flinching, and it feels like my heart needs to have a jump to get it beating normally again... would this be an affect from taking them? :/

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Laxative abuse can cause palpatations and heart damage. maybe you should seek professional help?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    That means they have to know everything, and will more than likely think I'm pathetic and stupid.
  • Options
    That means they have to know everything, and will more than likely think I'm pathetic and stupid.

alternatively you could wait a bit longer and have to be fitted with a colostomy bag for the rest of your life.

you have probably lost most of the vital minerals and salts you need and your heart can't cope. low potassium --> heart palpitations --> heart failure --> death.
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    omg hi wrote: »
    alternatively you could wait a bit longer and have to be fitted with a colostomy bag for the rest of your life.

you have probably lost most of the vital minerals and salts you need and your heart can't cope. low potassium --> heart palpitations --> heart failure --> death.

I was just about to reply with the same; but omg hi got there first. You lose electrolytes through purging which cause all kinds of problems, including with your heart. More info here: http://www.bulimiahelp.org/book/about-bulimia/electrolyte-imbalance-and-bulimia

Please get some help *hug*
  • Options
    I get help from my CAMHS worker, but she doesn't know about these experiences now, and won't until I see her on the 11th :/ she's wanted to take me up to hospital though for a physical check :/

Thank you *hug*
  • Options
    the damage you are doing to your body is really, really serious. i know it's embarassing and something you'd much rather keep to yourself but it's really important that you get some help quickly. it is obviously easier said than done but the best thing you could do for your own wellbeing is to stop taking them and never touch one again. the damage to your bowels might be reversible at this stage but the longer it goes on, the less likely that is, but more urgently the feelings in your heart need to be addressed NOW. you need to give nhs direct a call, now.
  • Options
    I know how hard it is to open up, but it's really, really necessary for you to tell someone. They will not think you're pathetic or stupid - they want to help you.

From what I remember from other threads, Becki (?) knows about your eating, right?
  • Options
    I can't stop taking them, omg hi, if I could, I would. Obviously.

Yeah, Becki knows about my eating, and use of lax etc etc
  • Options
    Can you phone her?
  • Options
    then will you do something to prevent the chances of you having a heart attack?
  • Options
    She'd worry way too much. I'm 280 odd miles from her, cos I came down to visit family, which she was weary of anyway... sigh.
  • Options
    omg hi wrote: »
    then will you do something to prevent the chances of you having a heart attack?

I won't have a heart attack...
  • Options
    ok then.
    it feels like my heart needs to have a jump to get it beating normally again...
  • Options
    Ah, I see.

Is there anyone else near where you are now that knows about this and you could talk to?

I know how difficult this is, but how would you feel about calling NHS Direct or going to a walk in centre? Are you at least taking vitamins?
  • Options
    Nope, can't talk to parents about it cos they basically hate me for making the family look 'fucked up'.

I'll call them if it gets worst... but it's okay at the moment, doesn't feel like anything is wrong.

No, I don't.
  • Options
    Okay well make sure you take vitamins high in calcium and potassium. Also bananas and fortified cereal are good if you're allowed to eat them.

NOTE: I am not encouraging you to keep purging, but more to limit damage, okay? :)
  • Options
    I'll go out to buy some bits tomorrow. Banana's are on my good food list, so it should be okay. Thank you :)