Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Xmas

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm not really sure where this should go....

I just went to my works xmas party - the night ended in tears - mine - because every year I've been, my Dad's taken me and picked me up, he's just always been around and he always made xmas what it was...this year felt empty - he wasn't here to comment on my outfit and demand pics to be taken, he wasn't here to give me a lift, he just isn't here to make xmas what its always been and I'm really struggling - I never knew this would be so hard :crying:

Comments

• Options
    ReenaReena Posts: 1,375 Wise Owl
    *hug* :heart: *hug*
  • Options
    Oh honey, it's horribly hard. Huggles for you. The first time for everything that he's not around for is always hard. Then the second time you over prepare and find that actually it isn't as bad as you remember. Then you find that some years are okay, some years aren't.
  • Options
    One of the less talked about things when someone you loves isnt there anymore, is the changes. It isnt just the missing them. As you mentioned above, its all the changes and the little things that dont happen anymore. Some people find it easier to deal with one big thing as its easier to see and deal with. However with things like this its often little bits and bobs that keep on cropping up and reminding you of what happened. Lots of little things can be harder to deal with.

All I can say at this point, is that as much as you have been upset by this, you're very upset because of the happy memories you have, and although they are making you sad now, you will be able to look back and remember the good things you had.
  • Options
    What G said.

Change is always hard. Hope you had some fun bits between the tears though - and at least you didn't do anything disgraceful by the sounds of it
  • Options
    Purple_roo wrote: »
    Oh honey, it's horribly hard. Huggles for you. The first time for everything that he's not around for is always hard. Then the second time you over prepare and find that actually it isn't as bad as you remember. Then you find that some years are okay, some years aren't.

Sometimes you'll think you're over it, then you realise you aren't. You can go for months, and then come crashing down. You'll get used to it WL.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reassurance - I guess I'm still not used to any of this...all feels weird.

Lol - no nothing disgraceful! I was sober all night! :)
  • Options
    To some extent even five years on for me it still feels weird at times. I'm not 'used to it' but I am used to handling it better.

My five year anniversary of dad's death was on Monday, and this one was a bit shit for me this year. Did the whole getting annoyed at myself for being upset thing, though the enforced inactivity from a broken leg can't have helped!
  • Options
    I am the wankest friend ever. I really need to start writing that down... ffs.

But yeah, I'm on 16 years on Sunday, and still feel like a little bit of wank. It shouldn't be too bad I've got plans and a lovely, but it still sticks in my mind.
  • Options
    At this rate I don't see myself even getting through xmas...:crying:
  • Options
    Yes you will.

In teeny, tiny, bitesize chunks.
  • Options
    I can't...I despise knowing how happy I was this time last year to how I am now. I'm losing friends, I have no sense of who I am anymore and the ones I genuinely thought were supportive just aren't. If he felt half as bad as I do right now then I can understand why he committed suicide...
  • Options
    Consider that in general, your Dad feeling this bad caused him to commit suicide, which in turn has caused you to feel this bad, and if that then in turn causes you to commit suicide, who is that then going to make feel this bad? It could potentially be an ongoing cycle.

And would your Dad want you to feel this bad? Would he want you to give up, or would he want you to fight through, surmount these difficulties, and become a person who he could be even prouder of than he already was?

You are grieving. It's shit. But it doesn't last forever - and it certainly doesn't stay the same forever. Yes, it will change you - I'm still noticing things about me that have changed from going through this - but in general these changes are positive. It's certainly helped me to be a more compassionate, empathetic and supportive person who can actually talk about horrible shit like this - which is more than your average joe who hasn't really experienced much. I consider myself quite mature for someone of 27 years young! hehe.

Friendships can be rebuilt. New ones can be forged. I think the sense of change is the scariest thing about grieving. Your firsts of everything new are the most scary. Then they get better. You build your own ways of dealing with things.
  • Options
    I know...I know that all makes sense...I'm just sick of feeling like this. I think I need a change...a change of job, a change of lifestyle - a change of everything...
  • Options
    Be wary of changing too much in one go. Change is also hard to deal with.

Obviously I was in a very different position to you - and had a change of pretty much everything forced onto me about 10 months later. That was a lot to handle, so I'd step with caution if you think a change would fix everything.

But by all means start making plans to change things one step at a time.
  • Options
    I think I need a new job...I know I turned the last one down but I know my job needs to change. If I achieve anything in 2013 - I want to be successful in a new role - in a new company that will offer me long term career prospects.
  • Options
    A lot of time has passed (relatively) since you turned the last one down.
  • Options
    A lot of time has passed (relatively) since you turned the last one down.

:yes: And I don't think I really liked the environment...I think this time I won't just accept the first job I am offered...
  • Options
    Sounds like a good plan. Start having a look around, and work out what you're after, what the options are and be picky.