Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Mum and drink

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Tbh i wasn't too sure which to post this under cos it comes under drink, relationships and wellbeing. But well i guess i find it hard sometimes because of me mam and her drink..

Well both me parents have been drinkers as long as i can remember really, me dad was the worst and i was stopped being able to see him when i was younger. But with mum it was hard cos it was me who dealt with it, and then recently after talking to someone about it all we realised for a long time id been a young carer and i guess i've never really looked at it that way.

But well this is all stuff i've tried working on with counsellors and i know it will take a long time because of memories and stuff, but it gets me down as well.
When i think of me mam i just feel kinda hate, because she did this to me and she didn't care and still doesn't, and no matter how many people tell me its not her its the drink - i know but it still hurts, a lot.
It just makes me feel depressed quite a bit and exhausted an wanting me mam because i know i have that part of me who really needs someone, and the person who it should be doesn't feel the same.

The worst thing i find now if anything is feeling depressed a lot and lacking proper relationships and just feeling alone. If anyone has any ideas of coping mechanisms feel free to share them pleaseeeee :)

Comments

• Options
    Hi Alfie

What an amazing step you've just taken to post so openly and honestly. It sounds like you've had to take on a lot of responsibility - both emotionally and practically - at a very young age. Being a young carer can make you grow up extremely quickly and miss out on a lot of 'normal' childhood experiences, so it's not at all surprising that you're feeling angry and depressed.

It sounds like you've already taken lots of positive steps to deal with your emotions, though - having counselling and being aware of how you feel - both will ultimately help you to a happier place, even if it doesn't feel like it right now.

I'm sure there will be other posters who have been in similar situations and can offer you much better advice than I can, but for now I just wanted to say big hugs and keep posting here, hopefully it will help to talk.

*hug* Spanner

ps - if you haven't already found our advice pages, these articles may be worth a read:

Living with a drinker: http://www.thesite.org/drinkanddrugs/drinking/problems/livingwithadrinker

Young carers:
    http://www.thesite.org/healthandwellbeing/wellbeing/lookingafterothers/youngcarers

Depression:
    http://www.thesite.org/healthandwellbeing/mentalhealth/depression
  • Options
    Thankyou :) when i feel really low sometimes i tell myself it will get better cos im trying... but its really hard, just wish it'd all never happened at times tbh.
  • Options
    It used to be like that when I was a kid as well, after my dad got out the military he started drinking and it really fucked up my family. Has your mum stopped drinking, or is it still going on? If she hasn't, maybe you could suggest she goes to Alcoholics Anonymous. It's more likely your mum'd listen to you saying she wants her to stop than anyone else, my dad ignored everything anyone said about his drinking until I said I was moving out unless he stopped, because it made me too sad to see what was happening.
    I know how much hurt it must be causing you, to feel less important than alcohol, but you're not. Even if she seems like she doesn't care, she still does. Drink isn't an excuse for her to treat you badly, but it is a reason. Let her know how much you love and need her. It's not your fault that this has happened - I thought for years and years that it was my fault but with hindsight you'll know that it really isn't. Try not to hate your mum, it's not her fault, but then more importantly don't hate yourself either.
    I posted a thread on here ages ago about my dad and drink, and somebody recommended Al-anon and Alateen to me. I never actually went, because I was getting into my own shit at the time, but supposedly they're amazing at providing support for people whose lives are affected by other people's drinking. Check them out, there might be one near you.

I'm not sure how coherent this is, but you can talk to me whenever you want. It doesn't have to be this shit forever xx
  • Options
    I've tried talking to her, told her im gonna move out and loads of stuff but she wont admit theres any problem cos like as far as she's concerned its fine, but like even when social said when i was younger they'd take us awayif she didnt stop it didnt stop her drinking. I always get this feeling like its my fault and it makes me sad, i mean
    whats the luck they both drink - what do they have in common, me. I wish i could have back the stuff drinks made me lose but i think its almost gone too far for me to accept it now. Cos it really hurts watching it and all the time and being put down :/
    I know people say its shitty and it really is.. and i know people are like it gets better and stuff and i think i kinda know it will.. but sometimes it feels like it never will. Just wish i could feel better to and just get over it all.
  • Options
    For my mum, she didnt have alcohol as an excuse. she was just plain lazy, and very openly admitted that she didnt care. she beat me senseless, and i have the scars to prove it. i still cared for her when she was pretending to be ill. I got to the point where i threatened to move out.. when you say something like that, you have to mean it. and if she doesnt believe you and continues with her ways, you need to follow through, because that situation there will only keep bringing you down. you cant help someone who doesnt want to be helped, and unfortunately, it sounds like she doesnt want to be helped. over 2 years ago i made the jump and moved out... to the other side of the planet, actually. i tried to keep in contact with her, but she kept up her nonsense and started pretending that she cared, that she wanted me to move back. she denied all of the awful shit she did to me. it got to the point where i had to completely cut her out of my life.. it has now been 8 months since we have spoken.
    4that may not be the best route for you straight away. when you get to a place where you can be positive, definitely try to keep that door open for some sort of a relationship with her. you leaving may be what she needs to realize that she needs help.as far as coping mechanisms until you get away, i found reading to be the best one.. let the pages of a book take you into another world, where you dont have to worry. other than that, long walks, and maybe talking to a close friend. all of these helped me tremendously.
    Best of luck, mate :)
  • Options
    ReenaReena Posts: 1,375 Wise Owl
    Hi Alfie, it can't be easy watching someone you love do that to themselves. My brother has been taking drugs, I hate what he's been doing because he becomes like another person, I don't know who he is anymore, the drugs have taken over.
    I think that people are responsible because they choose the drugs and drink, but then it gets to the point that the drink and drugs overtake them, stopping them see clearly and being able to pull away. But there is always hope.

I'm sorry I don't have anything useful to say, I just wanted to show my support. Hope things get better for you soon. xx
  • Options
    Hmm i think part of me wants to keep her out me life and it feels like too much has happened for me to move on, but i dunno its like no matter what they do you'll keep running back. I just wish i could have a good relationship with her and all of this hadent happened cos i just feel lonely and just dont even wanna talk to her most he time, because she's not sorry because if she would she would of stopped...
  • Options
    By the sounds of it, you wont be able to have a relationship with her until you move out.. then you can see her when you want, and she isnt always around to drive you mad.. i think thats the healthiest way for you to go. if she keeps pushing you after you have left, then i would say it's time to cut her out, but obviously, dont cut her out unless you are absolutely certain it is the only way for you to be happy. the only way you can possibly get her to change now is to show her that you are truly prepared to leave if she doesnt wise up. come good on your threat to move out, and she may see the error of your ways. if not, push her farther out of your life. either she will come good, and you wont have that stress anymore, or she won, she will be out of your life, and you still wont have that stress anymore.
  • Options
    When i do move out its gonna be to another country so im not really gonna see anyone.. just before then its difficult, i guess part of me wants it to change then, but i aint gonna pinn me hopes on it
  • Options
    which country are you going to move to? I went from America to Australia.. best thing i have ever done
  • Options
    Im moving to the UK :) kinda expect it to be england, but might be wales or scotland too lol :)