Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Making TheSite.org more visible outside the YouthNet network.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys,

I'm posting this because I'm being held hostage at YouthNet HQ by Helen...

OR because I am part of the TheSite.org Leaders project, which some of you may know about already. For those that don't - the Leaders project is run by YouthNet (who run TheSite.org, as well as the site do-it.org (the largest national database of volunteering opportunities!)) to allow young people to give views and feedback on the content of TheSite.

This post in particular is to get feedback from the whole community regarding the visibility of TheSite.org outside of YouthNet and their network (i.e. TheSite's Facebook and Twitter, the Leaders network, and the YouthNet run sites). What we would really like to know is how we can make TheSite and its content more widespread and well-known to the WHOLE OF THE INTERNETZ.

What are your views on this? What we'd really like to know first of all is whether or not you use other, similar communities or are a part of other sites where promotion (whether blatant or just posting a link from here to support a post) of TheSite.org would be possible, and whether liaison between the two communities would be welcomed. The flip side is also true - do you know of places we should avoid approaching in this capacity?

Secondly, we'd like to know how you would recommend us promoting ourselves as a community. Have you recommended TheSite to your friends? Have you used it when writing on other sites or communities? Do you think it would be useful for us to advertise TheSite in (for example) newspapers or in high-profile environments such as YouTube or Facebook? What do you think the most effective advertising medium would be for promoting a community like ours?

Any feedback you can give on the subject of promoting TheSite would be really appreciated and means we can provide feedback to the staff at YouthNet and the Leaders network.

Thanks guys :)

Franki

(and Sophie)

(No, really though. Helen is keeping me hostage. HELP!)

Comments

• Options
    This is definitely an area worth looking at. As it stands I don't really use anywhere where I'd be able to post links and have visitors come here. However I do think you can never go wrong with trying to promote thesite.

I know a while back Youthnet people went around universities or something and dropped off themed pint glasses and postcards etc and stuff. Anything like that directly targeting the target age group is welcome. Work permitting I'd happily get involved in being manpower for doing something like this.

I'll have a bit of a think about this and get back to you Franki.
  • Options
    I think advertising theSite through external websites such as YouTube would be massively beneficial and also in some of the magazines targeted at the 16-25 age range. You always see articles published regarding some of the key issues that are addressed on this site (self-harm, relationships, etc) with a list of external contacts for further help - maybe TS could be one of those contacts too...?

I have recommended specific articles from TS to friends before and they have really benefitted from the info :)

I like G-Raffe's idea of targeting schools/colleges/unis and also would be prepared to give up the time (work and uni dependent) to help promote TS at my local schools/colleges/uni.

This is also a bit "outside the box" but you could also consider linking up with the Student Union's and College/Uni counselling services to promote TS. When I went to counselling I was given information about web forums but TS was never mentioned - I myself looked up some of the other forums that were mentioned; therefore, how many others have too but haven't heard of this one??

I'm sure I could think of some other ideas but thats all I can think of at the moment...!
  • Options
    I know of a site similar to this one which is the 'Suicide Forum', it has pretty much the same layout as the boards here (if not exactly the same) but has a 24 hour chat. Anyway, possibility for a linky there?

As has been said, it would be a really good idea to promote thesite in universities and colleges. I think school would probably be a bit young, maybe workshops or something similar with just the last year i.e 15/16 year olds could work I guess.
  • Options
    Definitely think approaching uni/VIth forms/colleges is a good idea :)
  • Options
    I find thesite is already fairly well promoted and always appears highly indexed in google search results. The content is good and the online traffic coming through must be pretty good. Maybe consider running on some PPC campaigns were some quick easy gains can be had but not to dwell on it.

I've had thesite mentioned to me on pretty much every occasion I've had support in the past three years. I was looking for work in Grimsby and a agency/charity that was helping me get into employment had thesite.org and do-it.org as resources - the first ones they signposted me to.

I've been given little postcards with thesite website on when I had counselling about 2+ years ago now. I've seen thesite mentioned in news stories from time to time as well. So it seems to me that the offline activities are working too.

As for 'social' advertising which is becoming more important the problem is that a lot of what is discussed or read about on thesite, is by nature personal. I have wrote in pretty much every testimonial for thesite ever, that the reason I like thesite, is its unlinked from my personal life. Obviously there is some crossover, people I know on the boards I know in real life and vice versa. But, for example, none of my uni friends, none of my friends from home, none of my work colleagues know about this.

I would say that since the traffic through to thesite is probably already pretty good (you guys would know better), what you need, is a reason for people to stay. Moneysavingexpert.com, for example, has an email campaign they run every week with the best deals on it. The 24 hour chat room suggested by Megan again would be another idea to keep people lurking about, although obviously creates more issues. Competitions, events, giveaways, new articles, focused discussions on said new articles etc. could be pushed out to try to include more people instead of the board regulars.

Just some thoughts anyway.
  • Options
    Really like this discussion :)
    I have also recommended TS to friends and they have came back to me and told me that they have really found it so helpful, and found the information that they have needed. And would use TS again.
    When my little sister is older (9 at the minute) I will be recommending TS to her, it's awesome

I would love to get involved with promoting TS at local schools, however I am really unsure how I could do that with work commitments, but I could try think of something :)

Also not sure it's been mentioned but maybe people putting links to TS on their personal Facebook accounts. This could be quite a good idea as many young people have other young people on their Facebook, so maybe they could need TS but not necessarily know how to access it. But if other YP post links on their own Facebook it could be more approachable for YP to get that support. (Hope that makes some sense)
  • Options
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    This is definitely an area worth looking at. As it stands I don't really use anywhere where I'd be able to post links and have visitors come here. However I do think you can never go wrong with trying to promote thesite.

You have a very active Twitter account, and a widely-read blog...
  • Options
    I often do tweet site related things, and the blog posts I have done for Youthnet, do get robbed as it were ;)
  • Options
    I totally agree with Shyboy on this one, thesite is already well promoted. There is only one issue that really needs to be looked at:

Take right now for example - 'There are currently 2973 users online. 37 members and 2936 guests' Just look at that. The problem isn't that there aren't enough people coming here but that something is going wrong somewhere to stop them becoming members. Maybe they've stopped by just to have a nosey but we want them to think 'I want to be a member here' instead of 'that was helpful, i'm glad'.

*shrugs* maybe the christmas thing we'll have going on will get people interested ;)
  • Options
    I don't think that they are all real people though, some may well be automated things, though I do think we get a lot of attention. When I see figures like that and people are not registering, it could be people accidentally stumbling across the site whilst looking for something else, and don't need the services (we rank really high on google). Or it could be a case that there is so much information on thesite as it is, so people find what they want and feel no need to register. After all these message boards are only part of thesite, you dont need to register to use the information sheets.
  • Options
    I would reccomend thesite to friends for the fact sheets but I'm wary about my friends and other people knowing that I post on this messageboard. I think the reason I found out about thesite originally back in 2004 is because my mum had heard about it at work. (She worked in children's services at the time) so it already seemed to be known to professionals.

I've noticed thesite has really good presence on google searches and I think thesite having it's own facebook page and youtube is a really good idea. I think thesite may have done this before but documentaries, particularly those on bbc3 about real life isues made by young people seem to be really popular at the moment. I'm not sure if there's any scope to work more with these documentary makers. I can imagine thesite's input would be really valid and it might increase awareness of thesite's existence.

As for advertising thesite and youthnet more at sixth forms and colleges. I would have welcomed knowing more about a website like this. And probably would have felt secretly smug about already being a member ;)
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Bumper stickers. Lol

Seriously though, I think the site already does pretty well when it comes to search engines. The amount of times i've run a search through google and the site pop up within the first ten results is incredible.
    Weekender Offender