Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Fear of sleep...

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
I've suffered from sleep paralysis in the past so I know how that feels...but when its combined with more nightmares and other traumatic experiences, the thought of even a little shut eye can become daunting. This intensity isn't something I've personally experienced but I know a few of you have...

Has anyone managed to overcome this WITHOUT meds? This topic came up in live chat last night and it was a busy session so we didn't really have a chance to get into a conversation about it. It would be good to hear some of your suggestions for getting off to sleep and not having night terrors.

:)

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have a big fear of getting in bed, of shutting my eyes, being in the darkness and going to sleep as I have nightmares and flashbacks and a panic attack at bedtime every night. I do take medication that helps with the panic attacks which isn't a sleeping tablet but I still feel a lot of fear and still have them. I use a small nightlight as well so I'm never in the dark, this helps. Also some days (maybe once a fortnight) I have shiatsu which is like a type of massage and I do sleep better and feel more relaxed then. I can't think of anything else I do that helps really. I will watch this thread with interest though.
  • Options
    I would also like to know the answer to this question as I've been suffering with some really awful nightmares...
  • Options
    I posted a post about all my troubles with sleep today actually http://shaansaays.blogspot.co.uk/ there.
    I've been put on numerous meds for my sleeping alone & in the end figured that it was the sleeping meds GIVING me the problems.

I feel your pain though, sleeping is a nightmare for me :(
  • Options
    :chin: maybe we should have an expert chat specifically about insomnia...
  • Options
    **helen** wrote: »

YES. Let's do this please :D
  • Options
    Yeah, that would be good :yes:
  • Options
    Yeah, that would be good :yes:

Agreed, please do :d
  • Options
    That would be interesting for sure :)
  • Options
    Not sure if it's insomnia, but I have trouble sleeping some nights. I can still be awake after 3 or 4 hours and I get so sick of trying to relax and waiting to sleep, I just end up giving up and get up.
  • Options
    **helen** wrote: »

Definitely!!
  • Options
    I often suffer from panic attacks in the middle of the night, when i have one the following few nights i will be terrified of going to bed because i am convinced i will have another. I find the best way of dealing with this is just to stay awake until i am completely exhausted then i find i can crash out and be asleep in a few minutes. I know its not healthy and i often feel totally wiped out the next day and need a ton of make up just to look alive but i feel its better than using a sedative and its certainly better than having a series of panic attacks.
  • Options
    Yeah, I've some times stayed awake after a panic attack, because when I get back in to bed I think I can't breathe again.
  • Options
    I seem to have the opposite problem of having panic attacks when I wake up :(
  • Options
    Definitely!!

Jo and I are looking into something for Jan :)