Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Citalopram

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I feel so ill since I've started taking it :crying: I can't cope with this. Everyone keeps telling me to stick it out, and it'll help in the long run.. but I'm shaking, I have hot and cold sweats, I'm dizzy, my teeth are chattering. I can't keep any food or drink down. This is ridiculous!
I don't know how I'm going to get through school today. Surely it's not supposed to make me this ill?! I mean, I expected side effects but this is bloody awful! :crying:

Comments

• Options
    Have you asked your doctor about what it's doing to you? I know two people who take Citalopram and neither of them have had these side effects.
  • Options
    Yep they told me to stick it out for at least 3 weeks
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I have a lot of those side effects when changing dose, they normally settle down within 4 or 5 days for me. How long have you been taking it now?
  • Options
    What dose are you taking? I didn't have any of those side effects, even on 60mg. I hope you feel better soon. Usually with anti-depressants the side effects do wear off in time.
  • Options
    I've been on it a few days, and I'm only on 20mg.
  • Options
    I had similar side effects with Citalopram. What worked for me was to take half the dose in the morning and the other half at night. Hope you feel better soon *hug*
  • Options
    As much as it's a pain you really do have to stick it out. How much it affects you is obviously based on the dose but aswell as that it's how your body copes with the drug. It's not a case of a low dose and no side effects as you probably know.

Saying that though, if it's affecting you to the point where you're vomiting and can't get out of bed it's probably a good idea to come off Citalopram, there are plenty of other anti depressants that could be much more benefitial to your body aswell as your mind. Have another word with your doctor if it doesn't clear up in a few days.

*hug*
  • Options
    Been taken off citalopram and aripiprazole and put on Quitiapine
  • Options
    Just read that quetiapine causes lactation in 1 in 10 children in the leaflet... I had lactating when I was on rispirdone... is it worth trying the quetiapine or will it do the same thing?
  • Options
    I lactate on Risperidone :(

Several of my friends have lactated on Risperidone but not quetiapine so it's worth a go.