Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

People who smoke

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I smoke. Question time.

Do you ever smoke in a dark room when there is only dim lighting for example, a computer screen light or TV light?

If so, move onto the next question.

Do you ever find it attractive when you see that the smoke looks thicker and you can see the patterns in the smoke twirls and twist?

If so, move on. If no, pay attention to it, your life isn't sad enough yet.

Like clouds, do you ever try to find shapes in the smoke?

If so, then thanks for answering the questions, you may feel like I've wasted a small amount of your life. Also, can you tell me the best way to quit smoking whether it's patches, gum etc.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't smoke. But sometimes, usually when I'm in hospital etc I look out the window and look at the clouds and hold my breath waiting for them to pass. It works best if you use a fixed point e.g. a lamppost etc and then wait for the start of a cloud to begin passing the lamppost, then hold your breath and see if you can keep holding your breath until the whole of that cloud has gone past the lamppost, then you can exhale. I'll do this for literally hours.
    Not a good thing to do for people who would rather fall unconscious than lose.
    Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Haven't tried to quit, but I'm told chewing tobacco is a good substitute before moving on to patches.
    If you fall asleep with a nicotine patch on you get really awesome dreams
    The best way to quit is to pick your balls and go cold turkey.
    I switched to an E-cigarette a few weeks back, I've not wanted or smoked a 'normal' cig since. The nicotine hit you get is much closer to the real thing compared with gum, inhalators and patches. You're still inhaling nicotine, but not all the other chemicals that are in normal cigs. I'm sure it's not a healthy smoking substitute in the long run, but so far it's proving an easy way to cut back.
    I got a disposable e-cigarette and it wasn't that good but when I tried by bf's proper one it seemed fairly good. I'm just trying to see if I can find one that does cherry flavour refills
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    I got a disposable e-cigarette and it wasn't that good but when I tried by bf's proper one it seemed fairly good. I'm just trying to see if I can find one that does cherry flavour refills

http://www.vapeescape.co.uk/search.asp?types=E-Liquids+%3E+10ml+Bottles there's cherry on that page, you can buy the whole kits from them too :)
  • Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    I quit for a good 6 months with no ciggies, then I had the occasional one for a 'treat' socially and that was fine, no cravings. But I'm smoking again now cos of stress in school -.- it took me about 9 months to quit but I was barely smoking in that time, I would suggest tobacco rather than ciggies if you're trying to quit. I basically made my baccy last as long as possible and when it got all dirty and rotten and dry keep smoking it til its all gone. I made a 12.5 last a good 3 months. Its so disgusting it puts you off completely and you can show yourself that you don't need to smoke so much. I think now I have free lessons I know I can just go out and smoke, so if you can occupy yourself during the times when you have the opportunity to smoke it can help a lot, then you can have one or two chances during the day for a fag and that's it. Also if you use baccy instead of ciggies and you're going out you can preroll one or two at home and then leave all your rolling stuff at home so you know you can only have this set amount. I'm just throwing everything that seemed to help me at you really, depends on how long you've smoked, how much you smoke and your willpower as well. Cold turkey isn't a bad idea but I wouldn't do it from the off. Cut down first then do it if you're gonna go cold turkey. When I was having the occasional 'treats' I'd maybe have a 10 pack over the course of 2 or 3 days and there would be no withdrawal symptoms at all so it depends on what's in you're body to start with. Right I've written loads so imma shut up now. Good luck!!!
    Annaarrr!! wrote: »
    I quit for a good 6 months with no ciggies, then I had the occasional one for a 'treat' socially and that was fine, no cravings. But I'm smoking again now cos of stress in school -.- it took me about 9 months to quit but I was barely smoking in that time, I would suggest tobacco rather than ciggies if you're trying to quit. I basically made my baccy last as long as possible and when it got all dirty and rotten and dry keep smoking it til its all gone. I made a 12.5 last a good 3 months. Its so disgusting it puts you off completely and you can show yourself that you don't need to smoke so much. I think now I have free lessons I know I can just go out and smoke, so if you can occupy yourself during the times when you have the opportunity to smoke it can help a lot, then you can have one or two chances during the day for a fag and that's it. Also if you use baccy instead of ciggies and you're going out you can preroll one or two at home and then leave all your rolling stuff at home so you know you can only have this set amount. I'm just throwing everything that seemed to help me at you really, depends on how long you've smoked, how much you smoke and your willpower as well. Cold turkey isn't a bad idea but I wouldn't do it from the off. Cut down first then do it if you're gonna go cold turkey. When I was having the occasional 'treats' I'd maybe have a 10 pack over the course of 2 or 3 days and there would be no withdrawal symptoms at all so it depends on what's in you're body to start with. Right I've written loads so imma shut up now. Good luck!!!

Wow, I smoke a 12.5 daily.
    I never smoked that much, I had school and home limiting me. I think if you can get yourself into situations where you physically can't smoke it seriously helps..
    Well I have college and I have three breaks so I basically have two every break so that's six at college. Two on the way to college, two when I wait on the bus stop to get home. Probably five or six when I get home. Doesn't help that I don't roll my cigarettes skinny.
    Roll 5 for college then you can only have 1 at every break or when you're going to/from college.leave all your rolling stuff at home so you can't have any without pinching off of others (which'll piss people off and further discourage you). Try that first, get into that routine then try concentrating on cutting down a bit at home. I don't think it matters much about how much baccy you put in, if you start doing prisons now then you'll just want more, use the same amount of baccy in each ciggy just cut down on how many you have
    Yeah but after quitting cannabis, cigarettes has been my only release and I feel if I interrupt that then i'll grow more and more uncontrollable. Picture myself as a newly bought bottle of fizzy drink. I'm constantly shook about and there's gas trapped, every time I smoke a cigarette it allows the top to be unscrewed and release that gas for a moment of time until I need to release again.
    Well maybe you should look into ways that could help you deal with being shaken up
    I already am.
    That's good then, if you just persist with the cutting down then it does start to work, you could maybe just stop a cigarette at a time, have one less cigarette a day for a week then take away another one for the next week
    Yes to all. But I'm not a real smoker. I've smoked on and off for a few years, but I always managed to just stop. Never had cravings. I only recently starting smoking regularly because I smoked socially (usually when drunk) but during the 6 weeks term I smoked sober because I spent lots of time with friends and the fancy took me. I only had a few cigs today from having none since Thursday last week. Bordem and lonely nights are creeping back in.

No real tips to stop smoking apart from realising how many you smoke until it knocks you sick thinking about the damage to your body (Physical evidence like packets, stubs etc work best for me, just mentally picturing it goes in one thought out the next!) It's what works for me. Makes me enjoy smoking less. Think I won't have a cig until Saturday (birthday party) then I'll stop again for a few weeks until my social life hopefully picks up.
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    Yes to all. But I'm not a real smoker. I've smoked on and off for a few years, but I always managed to just stop. Never had cravings. I only recently starting smoking regularly because I smoked socially (usually when drunk) but during the 6 weeks term I smoked sober because I spent lots of time with friends and the fancy took me. I only had a few cigs today from having none since Thursday last week. Bordem and lonely nights are creeping back in.

No real tips to stop smoking apart from realising how many you smoke until it knocks you sick thinking about the damage to your body (Physical evidence like packets, stubs etc work best for me, just mentally picturing it goes in one thought out the next!) It's what works for me. Makes me enjoy smoking less. Think I won't have a cig until Saturday (birthday party) then I'll stop again for a few weeks until my social life hopefully picks up.

Being worried about my own general health doesn't work for me due to the fact that I don't care whether I get hit by a truck today or saved to breathe for another day.