Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Personality Disorders

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How do you know when its time to go and see a doctor?

Comments

• Options
    When you question whether or not you should see a doctor.

You alright mate? Are you having a rough time recently?
  • Options
    the last 7 months have been rough. sometimes i just feel it would help me to start seeing someone i could talk to (like a professional). but whenever i build myself to go, i always get scared they will do nothing to help, or saying there is nothing wrong, and i'll just have to leave. i wouldn't know how to start the conversation anyway. its all so confusing.
  • Options
    I think a good place to start would be the testing for depression called PHQ9 and the testing for generalised anxiety called GAD7. If you've been feeling rough for a while, these forms can help you clarify your thoughts. Your GP will probably get you to one of these if you were to go and see her.

The important thing to remember is that a huge proportion of people will have some difficulties with mental health at one point or another, and you're definitely not in some sort of mental minority. The earlier you can get some sort of handle on what the problem is, the sooner you can start managing the issues and moving forward. Another place to look for something more specific would be on the mind website, which is here, and lastly, but by no means least, TheSite.org's section on personality disorders.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi georgiana,

Welcome :)

Some great advice here from Namaste and Fiend... I just wanted to chip in and say the worries you have about talking to a professional are by no means unusual. Here at TheSite we've spent lots of time thinking about the hurdles people experience when building up to taking action.

As well as the content Fiend has linked you to, we also have a section called Step Finder, which is all about these issues. You might find our article on talking to your GP a good place to start. Although it specifies GP, I think lots of this is relevant to talking to all sorts of professionals.

Keep posting. :thumb:
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    TheSite.org's section on personality disorders.
    I would take what you read in thesite's article on personality disorders with a big pinch of salt. Or stick to the mind resources.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    I would take what you read in thesite's article on personality disorders with a big pinch of salt. Or stick to the mind resources.
    Having read this, I kinda agree (no offense to whoever wrote the article). A lot of symptoms on the list could easily be a part of what may be another diagnosis and better helped with other treatment... For example, the symptoms listed under schizoid could also be somebody with severe depression and "paranoid" symptoms on that list could also come under the mania of bipolar, or schizophrenia...

Needless to say, all the diagnosis type stuff is confusing and often contested.

Georgiana, do you have a diagnosis of a personality disorder, or do you think you have one? You don't have to respond to that on here... But maybe, if you think you have a personality disorder, you could find an online community to share experiences and see how other people are managing and recovering from things... If you have a close friend or relative, I imagine that there may be some support groups around too?

Sometimes, it helps to hear other people talk with the same experiences, to make your own pain feel justified and real and to get an idea as to what to tell a doctor and what support may be on offer.

Edit: Oh, I only read the front page on personality disorders... I'm sure some of the articles will help somebody.

Edit again: Oh and I use these guys if I'm feeling very low (I think I have bipolar and my psych doc thinks I may have bipolar, or possibly borderline traits... I get months of very severe depressions and weeks of being hyper and thinking I'm indestructible and periods of being more stable)... They're way better than Samaritans in my experience: Sane - 0845 767 8000
  • Options
    To be honest, they're unlikely to say nothings wrong, but if they do think that's the case, wouldn't it be useful to know?
  • Options
    confused.

thank you everyone for all the links. they have been helpful, but i'm still confused about how i feel. i really feel something is wrong, i just don't know what, and no online site offers advice, only talking about feelings. i've always self harmed, and i know that means there has to be something wrong. but i'm still too scared to see a doctor or anyone, and i'm not close enough to my family to be comfortable talking about something like this. my boyfriend knows but he lives away, so i'm on my own trying to cope with this. i just feel like i need someone to say i should go to a doctor to talk, but no one will offer any advice like that. how am i supposed to know if something is wrong with me or not, if no one will offer advice? most online sites have been unhelpful and frustrating. i took a course before to be a mentor, so i know the counselling techniques they try to use on me, where they just re-phrase what i say and then offer articles which doesn't help at all. thank you all for replying, its nice to have someone to talk to.
  • Options
    i have bipolar and bpd... help...

my bipolar is fully under control now, but really struggling with my BPD at the moment. is anyone else out there suffering with this? ive had CAT therapy which has really helped, but so much so that i would no longer meet a diagnosis threshold. so i couldnt get treatment on the NHS. i feel like i am well and truly stuck now. any advice?
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    georgiana wrote: »
    i just feel like i need someone to say i should go to a doctor to talk, but no one will offer any advice like that.

Hey georgiana,

It's understandable that you are feeling frustrated by the limitations that online support provides - there does tend to be a lot of talk about feelings and TheSite is often referred to as a bridge between talking openly anonymously and going on to access further support, hence why I linked to the step finder. Do take a look back as I think the suggestion is quite clear...

If you've hit a dead end with the support you've had so far, then go to a doctor to talk. *hug*

Let us know what your fears are and we'll do our best to help you move forward.
  • Options
    I think it's time to see a doctor when you really don't feel like seeing one. Normally we all like to stay in a state of denial. We all experience rough times on and off in life but some of us are too sensitive to tackle with them. If you've been taking things too hard then best consult someone.