Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Borderline Personality Disorder

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I suffer from BPD and bipolar. My bipolar is now effectively managed with medication. But really struggling with BPD. Is anyone else out there suffering? How do you cope etc? Any advice?

Comments

• Options
    I have BPD, although technically my diagnosis is EUPD, but it's the same thing, I also have severe depression. I am really struggling with a depressive episode at the moment. The main way i cope is through distraction, I watch stuff talk to friends online etc. I get very intense moods and feelings of emptiness and distracting myself can help take my mind off it, but it is hard.
  • Options
    A dual diagnosis of bipolar and borderline is quite unusual, to be honest, though it is rather more common for psychs to confuse type II bipolar with borderline, and vice versa. BPD is characterised by frequent fast mood changes, but they're generally environmental in cause, rather than just something that happens with bipolar.

The issue is that generally bipolar can be controlled with medication but borderline is a lot harder to control with drugs alone. So if you have a dual diagnosis try and work out why they've done that, because it really isn't very common.

As for how I control by borderline, generally I try to engage with people when I feel the emptiness closing in. It sometimes works and it sometimes doesn't. The problem is when I try and engage and nobody is there; it makes the drop even bigger. But I'm not coping terribly well at the minute either so meh.