Home General Chat Creative Corner
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Therapy knitting

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So what is it? Just knitting for the sake of it and seeing what happens doing any stitch or do you just pick a nice pattern and some nice wool to cheer yourself up. I googled it up didn't find any specifics.

Comments

• Options
    When I use the term "knitting therapy" I just mean knitting something in order to relax.

It's not a 'thing' that I'm aware of.
  • Options
    Interesting you should bring this up.

I divide my knitting therapy into three broad types - whitting, titting and mitting.

whitting = wine + knitting
    These are the simplest of projects with little or no shaping that can be done whilst enjoying a bottle of wine with a friend, usually they are garter stitch or stocking stitch.

titting = tea and knitting
    These can be done whilst drinking tea and chatting with friends. They can be a little more complex than whitting projects but can still be done whilst chatting. The knitting can help relieve anxiety in a social situation and the talking, well it's good to talk.

mitting = mindful knitting
    This is when I do my most complicated work that requires a lot of concentration. For me this is complicated lace patterns. Mindfulness practice involves observing what you are doing, being aware, focussing your mind just on that one thing. Mindfulness is a key skill in dialectical behavioural therapy which is useful for borderline personality disorder and self harm as well as depression and anxiety amongst other things.
  • Options
    Can anyone suggest some good therapy knitting patterns then? I'm fed up of boring patterns but I'm still a bit of a novice. No scarfs please!!!!
  • Options
    Based on RandomGirl's suggestion, this cardigan was just the right amount of concentration for me. Her instructions are clear enough to make it easy but not mindless.

I also think it would work well with your style.
  • Options
    Have you tried knitting socks?
  • Options
    I haven't tried socks yet, but I'd love to! I just find DPN knitting viciously hard so I've been trying to find a circular pattern.

That's an awesome cardi! I may just give that one a go!
  • Options
    All sock patterns can be done on circulars. But there are a few written on the assumption of magic loop/two circs and give directions accordingly.

Only one I can think of off the top of my head is the Blackrose pattern (on my phone right now but it's one of my WIPs on Ravelry). They're lace but dead easy lace (yarn overs and k2tog/ssk mainly with a s2kp in the middle of the repeat iirc) and dead pretty.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    Based on RandomGirl's suggestion, this cardigan was just the right amount of concentration for me. Her instructions are clear enough to make it easy but not mindless.

I also think it would work well with your style.

Did you send me the pattern for that? It never reached my Kindle :(
  • Options
    Me thinks I need to go yarn shopping! Can anyone recommend a good online place, just in case my LYS doesn't have the goods?
  • Options
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    Me thinks I need to go yarn shopping! Can anyone recommend a good online place, just in case my LYS doesn't have the goods?

Etsy (lots of lovely hand dyed yarns)
    Deramores (deramores.com)
    Black Sheep (blacksheepwools.com)
    Loop (loopknittingshop.com)
    Nest (handmadenest.com)
  • Options
    Nest is my LYS! It's lovely. They also sell lovely cakes and pots of tea :)

Loop is also good, it's a yarn boutique though so only really stocks top end yarn.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    Nest is my LYS! It's lovely. They also sell lovely cakes and pots of tea :)

Loop is also good, it's a yarn boutique though so only really stocks top end yarn.

Ooooh.

When you next go in can you ask if they've got my Rico Merino DK in yet ;)? (They were going to order in 18 skeins for me but I've not heard anything from them in a few weeks)
  • Options
    Ooooh.

When you next go in can you ask if they've got my Rico Merino DK in yet ;)? (They were going to order in 18 skeins for me but I've not heard anything from them in a few weeks)
    Maybe you should email Amy who run's the place? She's lovely and only about my age and makes the cakes. I have that yarn in Aran weight from there.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    Maybe you should email Amy who run's the place? She's lovely and only about my age and makes the cakes. I have that yarn in Aran weight from there.

Will email her tomorrow, yeah. She's been lovely so far :)