Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Any hair gurus?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is it possible for your hair to be permenantly fucked after having your scalp burned to a crisp? My hair is a gross dry brittle mess. I used to color/chemically straighten it but I haven't in years. The last time I had my hair straigntened, I went to a friend of a friend of a friend who was still a cosmotology student and she burned the crap out of my scalp with the chemicals. I felt a little tingle, so I didn't bother saying anything, but after that my hair came out in clumps and my scalp was scabbing and nasty. My hair has never been the same since.

It is 100% natural. I use all natural shampoo bars and super strong conditioners. I do a warm olive oil soak every few months but nothing works.

I had bangs cut perhaps 4 or 5 years ago and they never grew back - I have never cut them since that first time. My hair is just so dry and brittle that it doesn't.

I do have a bad thyroid, which I'm told can cause bad hair, but it has been in normal ranges since I've been on pills - 3 years ago, so there is no reason for these sad 3 inch bangs to not grow back.

I just want normal hair :(

Comments

• Options
    It might be worth investing in a pescriptive haircare range. It will cost more but is more concentrated.

I use Redken. Decent pescriptive products are availible from a good hairdressers.
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it :)

Unfortunatly, tried tons of those types of products too, redkin, matrix, bumble, aveda, nioxin - I did a whole howevermanystep system with gigantic bottles... whatever the hairdresser feels like selling/reccomending that day. I've even had a couple treatments at the salon. I asked my friend who went to cosmotology school and she said a bad burn isn't likely to cause long term damage, no more than the treatment itself. But that is just one person, so I thought I'd ask for more help. I know hair grows and you can't fix sad dead hair, you can only help what is going to come out, but after so many years, you think something not shitty would have come out of this scalp. OR MY BANGS WOULD HAVE FUCKING GROWN. I hate those bangs so much. I have wavy hair so they just curl up like devil horns, and that is all, since they haven't grown a cm.

Maybe my brain just takes so much power and energy that nothing else can grow :p
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    my name wrote: »

Maybe my brain just takes so much power and energy that nothing else can grow :p

:lol: that's it, you've cracked it!

On a different note, have you ever spoken to a doctor (or would it be a dermatologist?) about this, as opposed to a hair technician? I've found this website about hair and health and one of the hair care rules it has is:
    Minimise chemical treatments (bleaching, perms) – these can cause irreparable damage to the hair shaft.

I don't know whether there's a way to find out if this is the case for you, but maybe some more careful medical analysis could help?

I totally get how if you're hair is in a bad way, it's really hard to be positive about your overall appearance, so maybe speaking to someone with a different approach might help.
  • Options
    Helen's got a point - its definately worth going to see a medical professional about it. But have you tried not washing it? I did it for a while, and although the first stage is hard, its worth persevering with! Here is a good guide how to do it - Linkage
  • Options
    Good idea on talking to the doctor, I'm sure I have an appt coming up for something so I'll ask then :)

I have tried the not washing it, kind of. Just water and a natural conditioner, but I couldn't get past that initial really greasy nasty phase. I've heard really good things about it, and that it does get better but I just couldn't do it. I work out a lot too and it was aboustly unbearable, and I had tried that at a time when I wasn't working, I wouldn't be able to go out in public!

So, instead of making a new thread. I think I'll get a regular hair cut too, instead of just trimming the edges. Any ideas? Something easy. There are very few photos of me out there, but here is one that hopefully gives an ok idea of face shape (round and boxy) and sad hair.
  • Options
    Anybody?

Shall remove the pic soon, to pretend that I have some sort of anominity :p
  • Options
    I love the waves in your hair :)

I'm just thinking about whether or not its worth thinking about extensions? The kind that add body rather than length of course... Just because last time I went to my hairdressers, the girl who did my hair had them and I literally never would have guessed, they can look so natural these days, completely different to how I remember them as a teen. I think more and more people are getting them.
  • Options
    **helen** wrote: »
    I love the waves in your hair :)

I'm just thinking about whether or not its worth thinking about extensions? The kind that add body rather than length of course... Just because last time I went to my hairdressers, the girl who did my hair had them and I literally never would have guessed, they can look so natural these days, completely different to how I remember them as a teen. I think more and more people are getting them.

I don't know if you remember meeting me, Helen but i have them in. :) They are high maintenance though.
  • Options
    And at least several hundred dollars :( Otherwise I'd definetly give them a go!
  • Options
    I don't know if you remember meeting me, Helen but i have them in. :)

I do indeed! Your hair and make-up are both awesome - particularly impressed by your lashes. :)

Ahhh, didn't think about the $$$ my_name, sorry :(
  • Options
    **helen** wrote: »
    I do indeed! Your hair and make-up are both awesome - particularly impressed by your lashes. :)

;)
  • Options
    i would say that those chemicals have caused reactions to your hair and made them dry it would be better for you to avoid using cosmetics and show your hair to an hair expert