Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Can a smear test...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Make your period come early?
I had my first smear 2 days ago and today I've started bleeding. It's a light flow of bright red blood. Can't believe it as I'm under 3 weeks into my cycle of 28-30 days.

Comments

• Options
    Well i wouldn't say it makes your period come early, but the forcep thing they use to open your cervix canal can cause irritation on the cervix, causing it to bleed. My last smear test, this happened & I bled for about 2 days after. it's fairly common & the nurse said it can happen. It's your first test too & when the scrape the cervix it can bleed easily. I hope this puts your mind at rest, and well done for having your smear, as they are so important.
  • Options
    last time i had one done the nurse rammed me with the speculum and managed to cut part of my cervix and i bled for a couple of days afterwards - I think it was painful as well
  • Options
    Scary! :shocking: I've had a handful and the only thing I've ever felt is the slight pressure of the opener thin and never bleeding. He keeps ya talking so you don't really notice anything.
  • Options
    I always bleed after they've poked me about up there, just the cervix bleeding. It's very normal. :yes:
  • Options
    i had my first one 2 days ago too (not suprising considering the same age/birthday thing haha) and the nurse told me that i would bleed after it because the neck of your cervix is so small, or something...? anyway i did bleed for about a day and a half but its over now :)

it wasnt as bad as i thought it'd be either.
  • Options
    The cells that they take from the cervix with the brush (or 'broom' that they call it :rolleyes: ) are very fragile and susceptible to bleeding, normally that just causes some spotting, but a couple of patients I've spoken to said it had caused their period to come a little early.

If anyone here has been injured as a result of the speculum used, definitely speak up about it as it shouldn't be forcefully inserted or unlocked too early. A nurse once was quite rough with the speculum on me, I got a UTI because of this and wished I had said something at the time. I was taught about speculum stuff by external tutors who then allowed us to examine them internally and with a speculum :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Well it didn't hurt at the time altho I felt a bit funny inside for the rest of the day. I've got full blown period now complete with period pains. It's pretty annoying but after reading replies I guess it's not something to worry about. Thanks
  • Options
    i had my first one 2 days ago too (not suprising considering the same age/birthday thing haha).
    That's funny :)
  • Options
    Hey guys, was trawling google and found this, hope you don't mind me joining in. I, too, have had my first smear test today (age 29, I know, I know...) anyway, I've also been bleeding and the nurse didn't actually manage to take a smear because I began to bleed so she didn't continue.

I have had lower back and stomach ache since Tuesday along with other symtoms of coming on my period but I am on the mini pill Cerazette (which can cause irregular bleeding). I am just really confused now as to whether it is trauma from the test or maybe a general bleed.

I too have felt 'funny' up there all day since, and without trying to be crude (sorry guys), if I push when on the toilet, I bleed a lot more. This of course happens on your period, but I am obviously as well, very much more aware of my cervix since it's been messed with.

Any ideas? I am going back to see my GP on Weds anyway to discuss the situation. I just kinda hope it is a period and not some irreversible trauma.
  • Options
    People should be around to offer advice and help, but just pointing out that this discussion was going on in 2009 so at least some of the original posters are not around.

However I'm also a bloke so definitely not able to offer advice on this matter, though there are plenty of others who should be able to :)
  • Options
    Hi Celine

How are you feeling today? Did the nurse get as far as trying to put the swab in or was it just the speculum? Sometimes the swab can make it feel a bit sensitive for up to a day but then it normal goes away I've found. I would say if you've had period symptoms earlier in the week it probably is just that, but definitely worth seeing the doctor for peace of mind. Try not to let it put you off rebooking the smear when you're not bleeding, I know they're not nice exams but really important ones to have regularly. Hope you feel better soon
  • Options
    Celine555 wrote: »
    Hey guys, was trawling google and found this, hope you don't mind me joining in. I, too, have had my first smear test today (age 29, I know, I know...) anyway, I've also been bleeding and the nurse didn't actually manage to take a smear because I began to bleed so she didn't continue.

I have had lower back and stomach ache since Tuesday along with other symtoms of coming on my period but I am on the mini pill Cerazette (which can cause irregular bleeding). I am just really confused now as to whether it is trauma from the test or maybe a general bleed.

I too have felt 'funny' up there all day since, and without trying to be crude (sorry guys), if I push when on the toilet, I bleed a lot more. This of course happens on your period, but I am obviously as well, very much more aware of my cervix since it's been messed with.

Any ideas? I am going back to see my GP on Weds anyway to discuss the situation. I just kinda hope it is a period and not some irreversible trauma.

It doesn't sound abnormal (I had my first smear the other day and it hurt and stuff) and when I last had an STI test I started to bleed early - all sorts of things can set off an early period especially if you're irregular anyway.

Keep the GP appointment but even if it is a trauma it will most likely heal.