Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Hearing people talk in a loud environment

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been wondering about this for a while. As far as I know my hearing in general is fine - I guess it's suffered in the past from nightclubs, but I'm usually the first person to be able to hear a random, quiet sound (e.g. a TV buzzing or rain outside) so I don't think the sensitivity has gone. However, I have real problems picking out people's voices when the background noise is close to or greater than the loudness of the person speaking. If I'm in a noisy pub or cafeteria it becomes a nightmare to have a conversation without asking people to repeat themselves. It seems to be my ability to pick out voices rather than the loudness in general, as others are normally able to talk in these situations. Is this most likely a hearing problem or could it be something like this?

Comments

• Options
    No takers?
  • Options
    YES! I get that a lot... do you hear like really quiet noises? I'll be talking to someone and then some random small noise will start, and it'll be all I can hear and concentrate on.
    Because I generally have my MP3 player in, I don't think it helps much, but even when I take it out I find it hard to pick out the voice of the person next to me in a loud room.
    I don't know what it is though sorry.. just thought I'd let you know you aren't alone :p
    Xx
    P.S. I listen to a load of loud music as well, and I know my dad gets this too and he has been a DJ for over 20 years... so I reckon it is to do with clubs etc.
  • Options
    Hey Wooooah,

It may be that users are finding it difficult to answer the question. The things that you are experiencing with your hearing could be a number of things - including APD or a hearing disorder. The only way to be sure is to ask a health professional. How would you feel about seeing your GP about this, or perhaps you could talk it through with someone at NHS Direct? (0845 4647).

Hopefully you can get to the bottom of this soon. Take care and keep posting. :)
  • Options
    I have this.

It comes from the bruise-inducing, brilliant world of dyspraxia (in my case).

I think of it like this... Imagine the difference between looking at a 2D and a 3D picture. You can see depth in a 3D picture, it has dimension.

I kind of hear in 2D... That's the only way I can describe it. I work in the service industry and I often find that noisy customers really put me off...

On the flip side, I have very sensitive noise to sound. I really have issues with the noise of people eating, or tapping fingernails, or ticking clocks. This is really common with people who have dyspraxia, aspergers, ADHD and other neurodiverse conditions which make us think and react to the world differently than the main stream. :)

Sound Sensitivity Syndrome
  • Options
    Interesting... I did think it might be something akin to ADHD, with being distracted easily by sounds.
  • Options
  • Options
    yeah i get this too! I thought it was from working in a nightclub for a few years and also from listening to my i-pod too loudly....I cant sleep in a room with a ticking clock...drives me :shocking:
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    I have this.

It comes from the bruise-inducing, brilliant world of dyspraxia (in my case).

I think of it like this... Imagine the difference between looking at a 2D and a 3D picture. You can see depth in a 3D picture, it has dimension.

I kind of hear in 2D... That's the only way I can describe it. I work in the service industry and I often find that noisy customers really put me off...

On the flip side, I have very sensitive noise to sound. I really have issues with the noise of people eating, or tapping fingernails, or ticking clocks. This is really common with people who have dyspraxia, aspergers, ADHD and other neurodiverse conditions which make us think and react to the world differently than the main stream. :)

Sound Sensitivity Syndrome

Wow you've just described exactly the way that I would describe my hearing! I've never really understood it because I thought it was bad hearing and I had a hearing test and found that I was better than average, so just disregarded the hearing problems I have with daily life! People often get very frustrated with me for not being able to hear them and I don't like being in loud areas because it feels as though there is my head and my mind, and then there is another layer (the sound) of all this confusion and noise and I can't distinguish any of it! Yet when there is too little noise then I can feel the most irritation at just the sound of someone eating; it drives me crazy! There are some noises that just seem to make me feel tense in every bone of my body.

I'm 16 and have a part time job in a fish and chip shop, and when I'm speaking to customers I often have to repeat what I've heard several times and ask them to repeat what they have said, partly because I don't like making mistakes and also because I can't hear them, and just pressing the buttons on the till or hearing the steam from the fryers will seem to distract me away from what the person in front of me is saying! Although I don't worry about it too much, it does get to me as customers sometimes get frustrated when I can't hear them.

I also have problems with speaking. It is less so with people I know very well but it is still apparent. My words often come out in a jumble and I sometimes forget what I'd like to say and I can't speak at all and become completely stuck with how to say the words that I've got in my head. Sometimes I use the wrong words or have to say a word several times before I can pronounce it, or I miss out key words that are needed to form my sentences so that they end up being fragmented. However, this is not always. When I can speak, I am usually very articulate and strong. So I'm quite puzzled as to why there are other times that I struggle so much?

I'm also doing an A level in French and seem to have a lot of difficulty in speaking the language. I can sit down and write streams yet when someone asks me the same question, I can't say anything at all. My teachers don't seem to listen to me with this problem and say that I need to get over my 'nerves' and make sure that I revise well. But my nerves only seem to kick in when I'm actually aware that everyone is waiting for me to reply and nothing is coming out of my mouth.

When it comes to listening I also have a very hard time concentrating on what people are saying. I can forget very quickly what people have said and feel that I will think for very long about one sentence and then therefore miss a lot of other things that are being said.

I have no problems in reading and writing and I think this is probably one of the reasons that I am so inclined to join so many online forums; this one being a new one!

I'm aware that I've just written an EXTREMELY long post - sorry about that! I never really realised that this could be a problem and I've just learnt to deal with it but it would be nice to know if anyone has experienced or can relate to any of the same things!

Thanks for reading.

ps. but I don't have dyspraxia or any other conditions...that I'm aware of anyway!
  • Options
    i'm interested in IT, Gardening and diasnosing people (I've never failed so far) just pm me but it would really help if i diagnose you via MSN my email address is admin@hoxo.webhop.org also if i say you have a disorder then make sure with your doctor plus it will make it a lot easier for your doctor to diagnose you and you will only have a short session with him
  • Options
    i am deaf in my left ear and find hearing people talk in a loud enviroment difficult.
  • Options
    Knoppix wrote: »
    i'm interested in IT, Gardening and diasnosing people (I've never failed so far) just pm me but it would really help if i diagnose you via MSN my email address is admin@hoxo.webhop.org also if i say you have a disorder then make sure with your doctor plus it will make it a lot easier for your doctor to diagnose you and you will only have a short session with him

errr i wouldnt reccomend anybody emailing you, you're a schoolboy right, no medical or professional qualifications...
  • Options
    What's wrong with me then?
    ill-earth-cartoon.jpg
    :lol:
    Xx
  • Options
    I'm like that! I was at a motor lodge recently talking to the person I was with and I could hear this buzzing. And it was the radio on real quiet. And I can't stand ticking clocks. Drives me mad. But working at a bar, I'd have to get people to yell orders at me. I generally really speak up when I make an order cos I know it must be difficult.
  • Options
    Knoppix wrote: »

And what exactly do you base your diagnoses on? Tbh i'd think if i went to my dr saying "well this is wrong with me, because thats what a school boy with no medical training told me" i'd be laughed out of his office
  • Options
    I get this, but even in work someone can be talking to me and it can be quite quiet but I can't hear them. When the sound hits my ears it sounds disorted and I have to keep asking what they said/move closer. I've even tried lip reading as a last resort. It's only on certain times.

Do you ever get like a sound of noise rushing out your ears when loads of noise or a certain pitch of sound hits your ear? I get it all the time. Only in my left ear.
  • Options
    Not sure about the last bit... I do sometimes get random bouts of tinnatus or deafness in one ear for a couple of minutes.

Lip-reading isn't a bad idea... I guess it would be harder to learn if you aren't deaf though, since you don't have the same amount of sensory deprivation they do.
  • Options
    It's hard to describe in detail, but it sounds like air rushing out your ear, and its that noisy that is all you can hear for a few seconds. Even yawning can trigger it.

After cleaning the wax out my ears it gets worse, letting the wax build up to a certain level makes it reduce to the point it barely ever happens. I don't know what it is.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Why have I still not replied here?

I think I have the same thing you describe, about being unable to focus on a specific voice/sound when there's many.
  • Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one! I think people must think I'm really ignorant or rude...
  • Options
    Don't get problems with listening to people in a busy room- only on the telephone when people around are talking
  • Options
    I have good hearing in the sense of hearing a mute TV first etc. too.

And I have to ask people to repeat themselves in loud pubs myself all the time :p So you are not alone.
  • Options
    And what exactly do you base your diagnoses on?

Wikipedia of course.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    I have good hearing in the sense of hearing a mute TV first etc. too.
    Same with me!
  • Options
    And what exactly do you base your diagnoses on? Tbh i'd think if i went to my dr saying "well this is wrong with me, because thats what a school boy with no medical training told me" i'd be laughed out of his office
    i lookup this stuff and write articles about it and even able to correct myself when i get a piece or info wrong plus i got a few problems wrong with myself
  • Options
    Yes, but where do you look stuff up? Most medical advice on the internet is bullshit, not to mention so many illnesses can appear extremely similar to other things, ranging from the mind numbingly mundane to seriously deadly, generally things like that require some serious medical training to differentiate so i think your claim is extremely dangerous
  • Options
    Yes, but where do you look stuff up? Most medical advice on the internet is bullshit, not to mention so many illnesses can appear extremely similar to other things, ranging from the mind numbingly mundane to seriously deadly, generally things like that require some serious medical training to differentiate so i think your claim is extremely dangerous
    I goto a special school and i find out what people disorders and etc people have then i watch how they act and i write articles about the disorder.

i don't let that person know that i'm watching them because it's not fair also i do it to help other who need advice on a disorder what they have.

Click Here to read about dispraxia. I asked a friend of mine what problem they had and they said dispraxia so i watched how they acted differently to everyone else

also the official site for autism is www.nas.org.uk now this is where you get 100% true info about autism and aspergers syndrome. I have aspergers syndrome.

I make sure the info is true before passing it on to anyone else and i don't use the internet for making sure something is true.

.org domains are more likely to be true.
  • Options
    Wow you've just described exactly the way that I would describe my hearing! I've never really understood it because I thought it was bad hearing and I had a hearing test and found that I was better than average, so just disregarded the hearing problems I have with daily life! People often get very frustrated with me for not being able to hear them and I don't like being in loud areas because it feels as though there is my head and my mind, and then there is another layer (the sound) of all this confusion and noise and I can't distinguish any of it! Yet when there is too little noise then I can feel the most irritation at just the sound of someone eating; it drives me crazy! There are some noises that just seem to make me feel tense in every bone of my body.

And you have described exactly how I hear. Although I have never thought the two were linked. When I am in a noisy environment I cannot hear anything going on at all; I get so confused and I just cannot hold a conversation. However, in a quiet environment I can hear the slightest noise from far away and also get so irritated by how noisy eaters my house mates are. I also have a hard time concentrating when people are speak, quite often I zone out and miss everything they are saying.

It is getting so bad that it is affecting my life and I don't know what to do anymore. I find it very difficult meeting people when I go out as I cannot hold a conversation, however get me in a quiet environment and I am fine. Because of this I am struggling to find a girl friend and just don't know what to do anymore.

How do other people live with this?