Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Add a cup size bras

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
In your experiance is there any advantage in buying the more expensive type of push up/ padded bras like wonderbra or ultimo or do you find the cheaper ones from maybe primark, george etc just as good. I really want to treat myself to new ones but cant afford to waste money trying to find the best style out there. Any recomendations?

Comments

• Options
    If you don't want to spend loads i find Asda George good. You can get 'two sizes bigger' bras. Some of them are really pretty too. They do other kinds too.
  • Options
    Debenhams is great for bras so have a look there :) My favourite brand is Floozie by Frost French, this is their push up bra selection http://www.debenhams.com/lingerie/floozie-by-frost-french#catalogId=10001&lid=//productsuniverse/en_GB/product_online%3DY/categories%3C%7Bproductsuniverse_153156%7D/brand_description%3E%7Bfloozie20by20frost20french%7D/categories%3C%7Bproductsuniverse_153156_153160%7D/categories%3C%7Bproductsuniverse_153156_153160_153161_ms%7D&ps=default&sfn=CATEGORIES&sfv=Push+up+bras&storeId=10001

For maximum push up, primarks always a win. They do the "two cup sizes" bigger bras. They're quite nice, and only about £6. Don't last long though really! The underwire started poking out of mine after about 5/6 months.

I have this bra http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10001_10001_161010610185_-1?breadcrumb=Home~Lingerie~Bras which is awesome. It's got removable padding, which means you can always add extra padding if you wanted ;)
  • Options
    Starry nightStarry night Posts: 674 Incredible Poster
    Not really. They can give you more control and hold, but in terms of prettiness there isn't really a big difference. As for control, sometimes they are better. On the other side, they can hurt so.....yeah. Overall, cheaper ones are better.
  • Options
    Bra quality varies but it doesn't necessarily work that more expensive = better quality. Caring for your bras well makes then last longer, they prefer to be hand washed and not go in the tumble dryer. I used to hand wash bras for years as I had expensive designer ones, then I got a boyfriend and found I had better things to do with my time than hand wash my bras (of course I still hand wash my most of my hand knit socks as they felt easily). I've had the wires pop out of two bras, one was a wonderbra and the other a Freya Deco bra but I've had loads of Freya bras (as they actually sell my size) that lasted well. I recently got my first cheaper bras for years from Debenhams (2 for £20 multipacks) as I put on weight so I can wear a more normal size bra (as I was a 28" back size before and now I'm a 30" back size), it wasn't that I particularly prefer the more expensive bras but I could find my size in those ones. If I was a more normal size I would buy cheaper bras still. Mind you I once had one from La Senza that snapped under sheer weight of boob after a few weeks because La Senza aren't very sensible with the designs for bigger boobs (i.e. the larger cup sizes are the same as the smaller ones only bigger, they don't have thicker straps to support the extra weight or more catches). Hmm, I seem to have gone off on a tangent now but these are my Monday night bra related ramblings. Also, whilst we are on the subject of bras - why can't you get two black bras in a multipack? I wear mostly dark clothes and almost always black knickers so want black bras but I want them to be like 2 for £20 not £30+ per bra. My black friend has the same problem as white bras on dark skin really show through clothes and 'flesh' coloured bras are only flesh coloured if you are lighter skinned and she isn't.

rant over.
  • Options
    Also just to add that I used to buy these add a cup gel bras for my (now ex) boyfriend's mum who was a 36aa from Debenhams and she loved them. She lived in Brazil and you can't get the selection of bras there so I imported them for her. She also liked me to take out Tetley tea bags.
  • Options
    If you wash your bras on a gentle wash inside an old pillowcase it does wonders for them.

</manwhodoesthewashinginthehouse>
  • Options
    Oh yeah and if you know your size you can often get bargains on ebay if you like more expensive bras as the designers change their stocks every season and sell of the old designs cheaper so you can get a lot of 'brand new with tag' bras that are in last season's colours if you don't mind not being up to date. This is how I fed my underwear habit through my university years. Ebay, Bravissimo and Selfridges. I was spending about £500 a year on underwear and less than £100 a year on other clothes so I looked like a scruffy student but had amazing undies on.
  • Options
    I think i am going to try a couple of the cheaper ones for now, i will be in Brighton later this week so can try Primark. Dont think it would be worth me spending a lot as im not needing a great deal of support just a decent shape and a bigger looking bust.
    Not 100% sure of my correct size but i should be able to find something im sure, my worry is that as i am probably just a little wider across the back than average and i am going to end up with getting a cup size slightly bigger than i need to keep the proportions right which will mean falling back on chicken fillets etc which i just want to get away from but i guess if thats what i have to do i ill just have live with it for a while longer.
    Anyway thanks for your advice much appreciated.
  • Options
    I used to hand wash bras for years as I had expensive designer ones, then I got a boyfriend and found I had better things to do with my time than hand wash my bras (of course I still hand wash my most of my hand knit socks as they felt easily). I've had the wires pop out of two bras, one was a wonderbra and the other a Freya Deco bra but I've had loads of Freya bras (as they actually sell my size) that lasted well.