Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The Crisis Team being unprofessional - short insight, OD

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:wave:

So I guess I've had a tough week, and not really been in the 'talking' mode. Wednesday, was the hardest day for me. I had been helping someone triple my age, as she was struggling with her move away from family etc. We had been talking for around 2 hours, and she turned around and called me an 'attention seeker'. That being my last straw, I OD'd. I had text my friend telling her I'm sorry but wanted the peace of not being looked upon as an 'attention seeker'. She had checked on me that following morning to see if I was still breathing.

Looks like I'm still here. Later that day I had an appointment with, Becky. She works at CAMHS - and being involved with them for sometime when I was back at home, I sort of understood how things worked. I told her what I had done, and she wanted me to go to hospital, obviously I refused and went home - but later that night, around 00:28am, the police knocked at the door. He was the most kind hearted police officer I ever spoke to - and he promised he'd stay with me if I agreed to get checked out, which he did. He seemed pretty worried, and I felt bad in a way.

Thursday I had the CURT team (CAMHS Urgent Response Team) do a Risk Assessment - to asses what risk I would be in. I was kind of in a smurfy mood and signed the form 'The Smurf' - to which she said ''Seeya Smurf'', when I went home.

I got a phonecall Saturday, asking if the CURT team could come over tomorrow (today). I agreed, seeing as she sounded lovely on the phone.

Come 1pm, I had a man instead. I saw him, and he just didn't care. He called me an attention seeker, and that he only does his job so he can pay his rent. Right then I wanted to full into a mode where I couldn't be woken. He left and I felt so lost. I didn't understand, and it's really made me think twice.

I would think most people do that sort of job cause they cared. Clearly not, I think it's fair to say, I won't be opening up to people about how I feel - cause they truly do think I'm an attention seeker.

Sorry guys.. needed somewhere to write this..

Comments

• Options
    ReenaReena Posts: 1,375 Wise Owl
    Don't let people like that get to you. We all want attention in some way. I wanted it when I was really depressed. I wanted someone to see I needed help without having to ask for it.
    If I were you I'd report him. And if he lost his job because of it, it would be his own fault, he had no right to say what he did its unprofessional.
    Don't let that 'pain' stop you from opening up to others. :heart:
    Stick with it you'll get there xx.
  • Options
    Hi sophie lovely *hug*

I know its not that same, but noone on the bords will ever call you attention seeking or anything.

I think you should report him, 'cos what he did is really not right :/

Stay strong hun *hug*

Nina x
  • Options
    i think in general people working in professions like that are brilliant and respectful and caring, but there are always exceptions to the rule who let the side down. whether it was because he was having a bad day or because he didn't want to be called out on a sunday or just because he's not a very nice person, it's no excuse for letting you down like that. i've had manys similar experiences and once when the police came round to my house to do a safe and well check they told me i was lucky to be in the situation i was in (violently suicidal) because there were people out there who needed real help. just what i wanted to hear.

they are not all like that though, the first lady you spoke to sounds nice and you sound like you get on with becky? i know it's hard when you are so desperate, but try not to give up on all of them just because of one twat.
  • Options
    Thanks Reena :heart:

*hug* back, nina, thank you!

Hmm, Becky hates me for telling her though, it's like she would have been happier if I wasn't here :/
  • Options
    she was probably really glad that you trusted her to tell her, it can just be a bit of a shock sometimes to hear that someone has caused harm to themselves, however often you are used to hearing that kind of news.
  • Options
    I think that your treatment has been disgusting, and it's a gross abuse of his job. You're meant to be able to trust him, you're meant to be able to trust him with whatever situation you're experiencing and I'm upset that you've had to endure it. You shouldn't feel ashamed or upset or wrong, or anything else either, but I can understand if you don't want to complain about it just now.

How are you feeling? What have you been doing today?

Are you able to keep yourself safe? Please don't be afraid to ask someone for help if you feel that you can't cope. It's nothing to be ashamed of. You deserve help.
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    :hugs:

I'd definitely report the man - disgusting behaviour and a let down to his profession.

Hopefully you'll see someone different if they're still involved with your care.

How are you feeling now? x
  • Options
    Unflithen - today, I've done nothing, just like the whole week, I've locked myself away and I've not gone out for 5 days.

Plugitin - wouldn't surprise me if they've given up on me. You be honest and you get hate for it. Still feeling crappy but hey, couldn't tell that man anything today! *hug*
  • Options
    What made everything so difficult for you? You had said that things had been difficult for you before those comments had been made to you that made you harm yourself. It's a serious thing to do something like that, and I'm not criticising it whatsoever, but you must have been in an immense amount of pain to do it. What are you thinking about? What thoughts are you having? Do you still feel like you want to harm yourself?

Would you be able to call any friends and ask them to visit you, if they can?
  • Options
    Would message you and explain, if that's what you wanted. I think if I do it here, it could upset people. But that's your choice, cause I can see that you've closed your PMs or something...
  • Options
    Would message you and explain, if that's what you wanted. I think if I do it here, it could upset people. But that's your choice, cause I can see that you've closed your PMs or something...

I know that it's helpful to be honest about your feelings, but I don't want to do anything that would make you less able to express your feelings. Is it something graphic or that could cause unpleasant thoughts? I know I'm not coping myself, but I feel better about helping others, even if I'm suffering myself, it makes it easier somehow. Maybe you could still explain it, but substitute words or try your best maybe to imply what you actually mean to say, without saying it, if you think it could cause upset?
  • Options
    Then I don't want to explain in case I trigger anything. I'll be okay, I always am. Look after you.
  • Options
    Then I don't want to explain in case I trigger anything. I'll be okay, I always am. Look after you.

But even by your own admission, you're not. You've nothing to be ashamed of. You shouldn't ever be made to feel worthless, and don't use your yourself as an excuse for the treatment that you received last Thursday, because it's enough to make anybody angry. It's disgusting, it's wrong and nothing I'd just accept. You're in pain. You're obviously in need of help. You deserve it. You deserve love. You suffer from an illness, you should be treated with compassion.
  • Options
    Haven't read all the replies, but just wanted to say I've had bad experiences with Crisis Teams as well, so please be assured you've not done anything 'wrong' or to 'deserve' this. Don't forget you can report this to PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Services) in your trust anonymously.
  • Options
    Feel free to pm me if you want Sophie *hug*

Nina x
  • Options
    ReenaReena Posts: 1,375 Wise Owl

Same goes for me. If you want to message me feel free. Talking about it may be hard, but suffering in silence is harder. xx
  • Options
    Thanks guys*hug*
  • Options
    Your PM box is full hun, just thought I'd let you know :)
  • Options
    All cleared <3