Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Beds

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Where is the best place to look on the net for reasonably priced modern style beds like this one:

6633031A65UC269157X.jpg

I was thinking about getting that one as it has the mattress included all for 500 quid, seemed like a fair deal, does £500 seem like the right kinda price?

Comments

• Options
    You could see if Ikea had anything similar.
  • Options
    If you can get a makro card you can get something very similar with no matress for less than £150.
  • Options
    Ah, I think my dad may have one, then again it maybe my auntie, I will check it out, cheers.
  • Options
    Why not try looking for both seperate as well as together? Could work out a hell of a lot cheaper, and they come in pretty standard sizes anyway.
  • Options
    Doofay wrote: »
    Why not try looking for both seperate as well as together? Could work out a hell of a lot cheaper, and they come in pretty standard sizes anyway.

Except for Ikea, which has funny sized beds.

We got ours from lxdirect.com which we paid for in interest free installments. The mattress is fine but the bed frame itself is a bit crap - i'd perhaps get a mattress from there (which is where you should be spending all your money) and a cheap(ish) bed frame from somewhere else.
  • Options
    Makoto wrote: »
    I was thinking about getting that one as it has the mattress included all for 500 quid, seemed like a fair deal, does £500 seem like the right kinda price?

Depends on the quality of the mattress! If it's a bog standard coil sprung type then you could get it waaay cheaper. If it's better quality, maybe pocket sprung or with something extra like latex or memory foam or a pillow top, then you're getting a bargain.

Cheap shitty mattresses are somewhat of a false economy though!

I have to second Ikea too. It's nowhere near high end, and you can probably buy cheaper, but you won't get owt better quality for the price. Their beds are continental sizes, which can cause problems (you'd have to buy both the mattress and bedframe there, and also a fitted sheet - normal ones won't fit properly) but other than that, it's all good. :yippe:
  • Options
    Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
    If you go the Ikea route you must remember that they have non-standard bed sizes. You'll end up getting a mattress from them (not the best), as well as all the sheets, etc.

I would go with the Argos one. This one looks like the one you're thinking of and is about £540. I think they go up in price as the mattresses change.
  • Options
    Saeed M wrote: »
    If you go the Ikea route you must remember that they have non-standard bed sizes. You'll end up getting a mattress from them (not the best), as well as all the sheets, etc.

You'd only need to buy the bottom sheet from Ikea, and even then only if you wanted a fitted sheet, flats are fine on either. Continental sizes (the ones Ikea use) are only 10cm longer and 5cm wider than the UK standard, so all your other sheets and duvet and whatnot can be bought from absolutely anywhere.

Also have to disagree than the quality of their mattresses isn't the best - I work in the furniture industry and know pretty much everything there is to know about beds, and yet still chose to buy an Ikea bed set because for my price range, there isn't anything better. If I were wanting to spend £500+ on just a mattress, I'd think differently, but for a budget retailer, they're absolutely spot on.

</my twopennies>
  • Options
    I'm sitting on my Ikea bed at the moment.

As long as you don't shrink regular fitted sheets then you can get them on, you just won't have as much on the underside of the mattress. I'd also say that I like my mattress lots, it's near the top of their range but it's damn good and I love the extra space, you'd be amazed how much bigger it feels.
  • Options
    Whilst we appreciate your post on this site, this is a really old thread. We don't like to drag things up from the past that are already resolved for the OP (original poster).

I am going to close this read now but please feel free to start a new thread if you have any questions or queries.

:)
This discussion has been closed.