Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sciatica

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been to the doctors and he told me that i have sciatica. I was previously taking codeine 4 times a day but it was making me feel really ill so i came off it a few months ago. To begin with, when i was given Codeine it was back pain but now has turned into Sciatic pain.
I am unable to tollerate Paracetamol and Ibuprofen isn't really controlling the pain. He told me there wasn't anything he could really give me as most things include either Paracetamol or Codeine so all he offered was 10% Ibuprofen gel. I gave it a try on my back and it does nothing. Also how am i supposed to apply it regulary (4 times a day) when the pain moves and spreads?
Surely there must be other drugs that can help? I have been referred to the spinal dep at hospital to see if i need x-rays, etc but that is 6-8 weeks away. What do i do in the mean time? I am literally in agony!!

Comments

• Options
    Have you asked to be referred to a pain clinic?
  • Options
    no but hes reffering me to the hospital to investigate it further though its up to 8 weeks wait
  • Options
    Sciatica is a trapped nerve and can happen for the most innocuous of reasons.

You could try a physio or chiropractor in the interim? Generally, the longer you leave it, the harder it can be to clear up.
  • Options
    I'm waiting for physio from the hospital. Bit of a waiting game really.

Should i go back as this gel is doing nothing? Is there anything else i could take?
  • Options
    Hi- When I went to my GP with this he gave me a prescription for Diclofenac which is a prescription strength anti inflammatory that you can take alongside ibuprofen. I was in so much pain with this that i went to minors, and they told me that this was the best treatment, and also hot and cold compresses on the area (hot or cold, whichever works best for you) Mine flares up with stress, but has not been as bad as the initial one again.
  • Options
    I'm waiting for physio from the hospital. Bit of a waiting game really.

Should i go back as this gel is doing nothing? Is there anything else i could take?

I personally have almost never found the gels very helpful.

Are you in a position to be able to pay for a session or two with a private physio in the interim? I know it's expensive but then your health is very important ...
  • Options
    J@ke wrote: »
    I personally have almost never found the gels very helpful.

Are you in a position to be able to pay for a session or two with a private physio in the interim? I know it's expensive but then your health is very important ...

Yeah the gel is shit. I don't have the money to pay for physio in the mean time...i think i need to go back to the doctors. eugh. SURELY there must be something else they can give me....
  • Options
    Paracetamol, ibuprofen and codeine are the three main painkiller groups.

Paracetamol, taken properly 4x a day can be a very good painkiller - but by the sounds of it that's been ruled out.

Diclofenac has a very similar mechanism to ibuprofen, so if ibuprofen isn't working for you then it's unlikely diclofenac will although it could possibly be worth a shot. However, they both work as an anti inflammatory - and sciatica isn't an inflammatory condition so wouldn't expect much from it.

If you're still suffering it's worth going back to your GP, as there are pain management strategies that don't involve drugs that you could try.
  • Options
    Suggestions for sciatica

This thread is several months old, but I thought I'd throw in some additional advice and see how you are doing...

Sciatica is not a medical condition in and of itself. It is brought on, in the majority of cases as a compression or an irritation of the sciatic nerve root, or the sciatic nerve itself. This results in the sciatic nerve (or root) becoming inflamed, sending a radiating pain or tingling through the buttocks and down the posterior side of the leg.

The underlying cause of sciatica is what determines the treatment for your condition. However, the vast majority of sciatic pain is caused by a protruding disc or other dysfunction in the lumbar or sacro region (lower back) of the spine.

X-ray is normally inconclusive with MRI being the preferred imaging for an accurate diagnosis.

If you are still suffering let me know and I'll post some acute pain treatments you can do at home to help reduce the pain and inflammation...

Hopefully you are doing much better by now though!

Take care,
    Starr