Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Make up brush cleanser

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have to admit that I have always used soap or shampoo to clean my make up brushes. I wasn't aware that there were products especially for this. Which ones are best? My brushes are from Clarins, Body Shop, Benefit and Next.

Comments

• Options
    Baby shampoo. Just as good and a fraction of the cost.
  • Options
    I used shampoo last night in my brushes and them I put them in a solution of oil free eye make up remover and water and a load more stuff came off them even though they looked perfectly clean after the shampoo. What about disinfecting them? I have become a bit obsessive about bacteria and stuff breeding on the brushes as I have bad acne. Has anyone used mac brush cleaner?
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    I used shampoo last night in my brushes and them I put them in a solution of oil free eye make up remover and water and a load more stuff came off them even though they looked perfectly clean after the shampoo. What about disinfecting them? I have become a bit obsessive about bacteria and stuff breeding on the brushes as I have bad acne. Has anyone used mac brush cleaner?

Honestly hon, the brush cleanser isn't worth the money. A bottle of baby shampoo will keep them clean and soft.

If you're very worried about bacteria, the best use I found for the MAC brush cleanser was actually to stick a spray top on it and then spray some on a towel and spot-clean my brushes after every use. Then you can wash the towel every day (rather than the brushes, because that's a pain in the butt) or switch to a new one.

Spot-cleaning isn't quite as effective as deep cleaning, but a deep clean with shampoo once a week (always dry the brushes either flat, or if you can then upside down so that the water doesn't get into the ferrules) with a good rinse, and a spot-clean when you use them daily should be perfectly adequate.

The main thing is to make sure you're cleaning your face properly when you remove it so it doesn't get clogged in your pores, and to make sure your face is properly clean before putting the makeup on. Exfoliators/blackhead removing face wash are good (I have the pink Neutrogena one, it's not too harsh and it smells lovely) for making sure there's nothing blocking your pores, and giving your face a good splash of cold (COLD!) water after a shower/face wash makes sure your pores are closed before you put the makeup on (which stops it getting clogged all up in there).
  • Options
    Thanks Franki. I think I'm just clutching at straws that something simple I can buy or do will cure my acne.

I can't use anything exfoliating or astringent at the moment as I'm using epiduo (adapalene and benzyl peroxide mix) from the doctor so not allowed to use normal skin care products.

I'm missing my fix of Clarins skincare tbh so maybe that's why I feel like buying something posh to wash the brushes with as I can't put anything fun on my skin.