Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Bunged up

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been constipated for nearly a week now, I've been drinking plenty of fluids, taken stool softeners and 2 lots of laxatives, dried fruit, fibre stuff. I'm getting fairly bad stomach cramps and I'm incredibly bloated.

Any other suggestions? It seems such a trivial thing to go to the doctors about but I feel horrible!

Comments

• Options
    It may sound trivial, but it may not be. Especially if laxatives and tons of fiber don't work. I'd say if you don't go in the next few days, it would be worth checking in. I've known a couple people who have had issues with constipation that turned into anal fissures, which require surgery to fix. As an American, I'm the last to suggest a doctor, lol, but that kind of stuff has scared me recently. My dad had it after visitng the UK and you folk eat fucking beans for breakfast, how much more butt friendly can you get :p

However, I've heard a couple tablespoons of mineral oil can help, or today for some reason, people at work were talking about "smooth move" tea with Senna and how that clears you out well.

Try cutting back on the fiber too. I once bought a jar of prunes for a recipe and ate the whole container because they were delicious, then got constipated :p

Have you tried the same type of laxative? Maybe try another brand with different active ingrediants?
  • Options
    How much exercise are you getting?

Realise it might be difficult at the moment but if you're not moving much then that's highly likely to be part of the problem. If that's the case then getting help from your GP is less trivial.
  • Options
    I've been doing a brisk 20 min walk twice a day most days. I know its not jogging but thats about the best I can do, and I've been doing my stretches to try and relieve some tension in my muscles.

I've called NHS direct so we'll see what they say. I've moved a lot less than this before and not had an issue. I get like this when I'm stressed out and my housemate's gran has just died on top of everything else. :(
  • Options
    Go see your doctor, as already mentioned, how you deal with this is important.

For future reference, if you are adding bran/ oats, etc, to your diet, you need to drink plenty of water or similar fluid.

Prunes (out of a tin) are excellent for keeping things moving in your bowel. Half a tin a-day should do the trick. Dried apricots are also good, but are not quite so easy as tinned prunes. Having a portion of one or the other daily should keep you regular.

But to get things moving again after a week, I think you need to see your doctor.

Jed
  • Options
    Called out of hours service, got given some movicol, took one packet, job done. But I'm still feeling very full - didn't eat very much at all today but kept drinking a fair amount (still feel parched though). If I'm not feeling better by monday I'll go back to the doc
  • Options
    Keep drinking, it will help - aim for a pint per hour (talking non-alcoholic here!):)

If keeping regular is generally a problem for you, ask your doctor about a prescription for Regulan - it's a natural product that you can take daily as a fibre supplement, more information here:-

http://www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/pages/MedicineOverview.aspx?medicine=Regulan

But talk to your doctor to make sure it's suitable for you, and don't take it when actually constipated.

Plenty of fruit and veg and fluids is the best way to keep regular, but it's easy to slip out of such eating habits.
  • Options
    Hi Miss_riot

I hope all is well and you are feeling better. It looks like you have tried everything you can to help your stomach but maybe going to the doctors will be a good idea as they may have other suggestions and able to pescribe you medication that will able to shift it.

Please continue to post to keep us notified on how you are doing :)
  • Options
    I naturally have a fairly slow digestive transit, but not normally this slow. My diet is really good normally very good but of recent I've been skipping meals due to stress and busyness do I guess that could contribute. I'm still taking movicol and still feeling a bit crap. I might call the gp triage tomorrow morning.
  • Options
    Skipping meals isn't good for it. I know when I was anorexic and didn't eat much I would get constipated.
  • Options
    The doctor has given me something else and has suggested its just a side effect of upping my meds and that it should settle down soon! Fingers crossed!!
  • Options
    Hi Miss_riot :wave:

Well that's good news that the doctor has given you something and advised on why you have been constipated :yippe:

I will keep my fingers crossed for you!

Let us know if you feel any better.

purple_rain :)