Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

whirlwind

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So uh, this is a bit weird and a complete shock. I took a pregnancy test today and it came up positive. Took another one and again positive. So I guess I'm pregnant.

Rang the GP Surgery and they asked me to drop by to fill out a form so that the midwife can be in contact. Got given a huge, scary info pack too which I've glanced over.

We decided to go through with it despite being shellshocked.

I don't even know how far along I am. I'm guessing a few weeks is all. I've told my bestfriend and obviously my boyfriend. My bestfriend was overjoyed, my boyfriend worried but supportive either way.

Terrified of the financial implications. No idea what to do next. Who to tell, if anyone.

Comments

• Options
    I'd guess it is a complete shock and you've probably got it nailed with whirlwind. You say this has all taken place today - so probably one of the best things is to give yourself a few days to get your head around everything before worrying about telling people or anything along those lines.

Hugs.
  • Options
    Thanks SM :)

I'm only telling my mum at this stage. Bit nervous as to her reaction. My bestfriend who was the first person I told after my boyfriend is already being mega supportive. So I'm quite fortunate right now. Have been feeling shaky all day
  • Options
    Congratulations!

Honestly, don't rush to tell anyone beyond immediate family yet, there's definitely something to be said for waiting for the 12 week scan before making things more formal. The scan probably won't be too far away if you don't know when you conceived, they tend to get things through a bit quicker (at least they did for us with Sodbaby). Without being too maudlin, before that scan the chance of miscarriage is high (it's happened to us about three times), so don't tell the world if you don't need to yet. As for telling your mum, it is scary at any time; GWST made me tell her mum!

As for finances, it can be difficult if you're both in paid employment now, but if you're not the financial effects will be lessened. The hardest thing for us was going from two full time wages to one full time wage, truth be told.

It depends on what type of parent you want to be. Most of Sodbaby's clothes came off eBay, even her pushchair came off eBay, her pram and cot were the ones GWST had used when she was a baby. The only things we were adamant about buying new were the carseat, shoes (but that's not for a while) and new bedding and cot mattress. Though our parents and grandparents and aunts and uncles had very different ideas about that, and even now Sodbaby's in Jasper Conran whilst I'm making do with Primark (though they do lovely baby clothes!).

Just take it easy for now, go and celebrate (even if you're completely shellshocked) and take it from there. There's plenty of time to worry about the practicalities of things and there'll be no shortage of people waiting to give you advice- especially the type of advice you neither want, need nor asked for.
  • Options

Yeah my friend said after the first scan is usually the point of letting people know. Can see why now. Very scary though.

Letting my mum know tonight over the phone. I wish it were in person but I just feel like I need to let her know.

We're both in paid employment but to make matters kindaa awkward, I've just started working at a supermarket and my contract is 9.5 hours but I've been doing a lot of overtime. I'm on the trial period too and hopefully will be taken on permanently. I'm guessing I won't tell them until they take me on permanently. No idea how it all works really.

I'm a bit scared about morning sickness. I know it's usually inevitable but my phobia is being sick. No idea how I'm gonna handle it.

My friend gets her little girl the most gorgeous clothes from ebay :) And I love charity shops so will definitely not be turning my nose up at second hand stuff.

Still a bit 'aah' but trying not to think about it too much for the rest of the day
  • Options
    We were actively trying for a baby and had been for a few months, and I still actually shat myself when I actually saw a second line! I had at least a couple of weeks of thinking 'shit, was this a mistake?', and that was for a baby who was very much wanted and tried for, so don't beat yourself up about any conflicting feelings. It's a BIG thing. Your hormones are batshit crazy and your life is about to change big time. It's normal.

Morning sickness is not a given. I didn't get it at all and know a fair few people who didn't either, and also know some who felt sick a lot but never actually chucked. I had the same fear, and I made it through an entire pregnancy and labour without hurling. That said, tbh it's good therapy. I used to be scared of other people being sick as well as myself, and after spending the first 12 months of Superbaby's life practically bathing in the stuff, I'm barely ruffled by it now. Still scared of me being sick, but there you have it.

Start taking folic acid supplement ASAP, and check out the lists of foods and activities to avoid.

Oh, and congratulations :)
  • Options
    Hah, we'd been "trying" for longer than that and GWST still thought she was just getting fat. We took to calling her bump The Pasty in honour.

Pregnancy is automatically protected at any stage in terms of employment law, but still don't rush to tell them. You have to tell them 25 weeks before you start your maternity leave, IIRC, but that's not for a while.
  • Options
    Congratulations :)
  • Options
    Awesome. :thumb:
  • Options
    I know nothing of parenthood other than what I have been told, but I know a fair bit about trying to not be sick (ginger chews and gin gins both from holland and barrat were a godsend when I had gastritis), and mainlining peppermint tea (cool rather than hot) helps too, plus anything lemony often works!
  • Options
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    (ginger chews and gin gins both from holland and barrat were a godsend when I had gastritis), and mainlining peppermint tea (cool rather than hot) helps too, plus anything lemony often works!

Do check the safety of any of these first, though! Peppermint oil is deffo not safe during pregnancy, cause I checked it out when my IBS flared and I couldn't take my normal meds, but tea might be fine cause it's not as concentrated. Pretty sure most ginger stuff is ok, too, but again worth looking up to be on the safe side.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    :)
  • Options
    :)

:d
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Day 2 and doesnt feel real. My mum was thrilled. Mega surprise and panic over.

She also tried reassuring me about the sickness because she didnt even get it. This leads me onto a few rookie questions..

Its supposed to happen inthe early stages so my nightmare situation is suddenly feeling the need at work behind a checkout and being humiliated in a messy way.

Also, the midwife probably wont be in contact to arrange apt till 8 weeks. Our pure guesstimation.is Im 4/5 weeks. So i have no one to badger yet.. Today I worked a ten hr shift on checkout. Breaks of course but standing as no spare chair. Is this dangerous? The supermarket is huge so Im dealing with heavy items like boxes of booze. Should I be concernedat this stage? I felt like insisting on a chair but I guess I cant tell them yet? Am.I worrying needlessly?

Also my boyfriend bought me the folic acid today :-)
  • Options
    Might be worth checking out the NCT website.

Generally known for being slightly puritan, but generally very practical and non sensationalist.

http://www.nct.org.uk/pregnancy/first-trimester
  • Options
    Im afraid i dont have any advice to give on this sort of thing but congratulations!
  • Options
    Its supposed to happen inthe early stages so my nightmare situation is suddenly feeling the need at work behind a checkout and being humiliated in a messy way.

Also, the midwife probably wont be in contact to arrange apt till 8 weeks. Our pure guesstimation.is Im 4/5 weeks. So i have no one to badger yet.. Today I worked a ten hr shift on checkout. Breaks of course but standing as no spare chair. Is this dangerous? The supermarket is huge so Im dealing with heavy items like boxes of booze. Should I be concernedat this stage? I felt like insisting on a chair but I guess I cant tell them yet? Am.I worrying needlessly?

You are worrying needlessly. But that comes with the territory.

Eat well, get plenty of rest, and avoid foods/chemicals/meds that aren't safe. Other than that, unless you are told otherwise by your doctor/midwife, go out and live your life. If rushing about, standing for hours and lifting heavy things were a problem, people would never have second babies!
  • Options
    Congratulations xx
  • Options
    Thanks guys :-) not a lot to update apart from being an emotional wreck. Had some brown.spotting yesterday when i went to the loo and cramping. Its all stopped now but panicked n went to the GP. Started blubbing in the waiting room to Dance with my Father then cried harder because its such a shit song.

Dr was really nice. Said its normal as everything is shifting etc. Told me not to worry and just enjoy the changes.

I know Im still high risk but I know what happens happens. Hate first trimester so far. As for symptoms.. Bloaty, lack.of appetite, knackered, crying at that car advert with the daughter who grows up and goes to uni. Ohand my gag reflex kicked in.last night. Just want to.look.pregnant because it still feels like a mistake despite 4 positive tests.
  • Options
    www.babyandbump.com is a forum that contains loads of members , advice and support. Im waiting to try but love nosing through the first tri boards etc. Don't let the layout put you off .
  • Options
    thanks for link :) just browsing now.
  • Options
    I was convinced it was a wrong test result right until I had my first ultrasound so I think that's pretty normal. I spent ages imagining what on earth the midwife would think when when they did the scan and all that was there was a cheese pasty. It didn't feel real until I saw the baby actually bouncing around at 11 weeks, doing little flips all over the place. I'm sure that's normal - after all, all that you have to show for being pregnant right now is feeling a bit crap.

Congratulations :) I hated being pregnant until I was about 16 weeks because I just felt ill, and knackered and fat. Then I loved it until I was about 37 weeks. Then I was totally sick of it and so barge-like I had to get David to turn me over in bed in the middle of the night.
  • Options
    Thanks GWST :-) youre so right. Right now i have nothing to show for it but gagging and feeling like a zombie. Been holding off posting because I've had some spotting. Got scared at work and thought I was miscarrying. Tearfully told them I needed to leave to go to A and E. Supervisor was a complete Bitch and made me feel worse..

Anyway had my first scan today :-) saw the heartbeat!! 6 weeks and 2 days. They think.my spotting is just implantation bleeding. Fingers crossed. Almost cried when she pointed out the heartbeat :-)
  • Options
    AMAZING! Sorry your supervisor at work was difficult, my sister's was as well. But as AR says you now have a certain level of protection because you're pregnant (and they obv now know) - any sick leave you take won't go on your permanent record and if they don't continue your temp contract but the job is still available it could be counted as discrimination and wrongful dismissal.
  • Options
    Thanks Kate! :-) She was so inappropriate and just harsh about me needing to go to a and e. Even going as far as to say she was disappointed in me because i seemed so grateful for the job and didnt seem why i was so bothered as its early on in pregnancy. I told her that I wasnt prepared to sit at a till serving customers whilst miscarrying and went.

Have been in since and Im insisting on having a chair now. But rang in sick yesterday as my nausea was so bad. Im still on.my 12 week trial so its pretty awkward. Can imagine them.not taking me on at the end and using a different reason for it. Really didnt want to tell them yet but I had to when i had the scare.
  • Options
    congrats :)
  • Options
    You needed to go to A&E and she was nasty to you. What a cow!!
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    *Lea* wrote: »
    You needed to go to A&E and she was nasty to you. What a cow!!
    :yes: I think "ffs" is appropriate.
  • Options
    Yeah I'm letting the 'Peoples Manager' know officially next week. Have arranged a meeting with her. Not sure whether it's worth bringing up the way my line manager upset me or to just leave it now. If the Peoples Manager goes along the same route as my line manager then I won't hold back from lodging an official complaint. I'm trying to remain optimistic though. People get pregnant, it shouldn't be such a huge issue.

In other news, the first trimester is awful. Cant wait to feel normal. 8 weeks next week
  • Options
    Belated Congratulations!
  • Options