Home Health & Wellbeing


Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, there's a lot going on and has gone on in my life. Particularly now, I'm finding it very difficult to cope with things, even small things that barely matter at all. I know I need help as in the past few weeks I have tried to take my own life.

How do I go about getting a psycologist? I know this will help as an old friend went through the same but it wasn't as bad as me - she didn't try to take her own life and she hasn't been through as much as me.

Advice well needed.

Thanks and appreciation in advance.


  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi hooha-dooda

    Sorry to hear that things are difficult for you at the moment.

    The first person to talk to is your GP.

    Tell them what's going on for you, and they will make an assessment and possibly a diagnosis, and suggest a treatment plan.

    Tell them that you would like to see a psychologist. There may be a waiting list to see a psychologist under the NHS, but your doctor will decide how urgent your need is. They might have a counsellor within the Practice that can help you, instead of seeing a psychologist, or perhaps while on the waiting list.

    The first step is for a diagnosis to be made.

    In the meantime, you can always ring the Samaritans if you are feeling down and unable to cope. They tend to listen more than advising you, but then talking about your issues can sometimes release psychological pressure and reduce feelings of isolation.

    Hope this helps - take care.

Sign In or Register to comment.