Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What is confidence?

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
:wave:

This is a topic that comes up in chat from time to time - mainly linking to relationships, but in general, it's an interesting question.

We all think we know what confidence is or what it means, but how do we apply it? What things do you feel confident about and what things do you feel really unconfident about? And if you think your confidence has grown over time, how?

:)

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Confidence in my opinion is trusting youself to be able to do whatever it is. I always think I'm quite a confident person, especially when it comes to school and stuff (I'm always the annoying one before exams wandering around not worrying at all!) Something which I've ever beem able to work out is that at school I'm really quiet, constantly being told to put my hand up more etc etc. yet everywhere else I never shut up...hmmmmm

Nina x
  • Options
    The ability to not give a fuck.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »

Yes! Succinct and the the point. :D
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »

Is that not arrogance? (genuine question).
  • Options
    I reckon confidence becomes arrogance when you don't consider other people. Not giving a fuck what people think is confident. Not giving a fuck about people is arrogance.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    I reckon confidence becomes arrogance when you don't consider other people. Not giving a fuck what people think is confident. Not giving a fuck about people is arrogance.

Nice distinction...

So how do you get to the point where you don't care what people think?

(I'm looking for the light bulb moment ;) )
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Gaining confidence: doing something you thought you could never do, then doing it. I think that's what made me come more out of my shell.

I never feel confident when meeting other people, but I do generally just jump in.
  • Options
    **helen** wrote: »
    Nice distinction...

So how do you get to the point where you don't care what people think?

(I'm looking for the light bulb moment ;) )

One day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what shit even looks like. Welcome to the layer cake son.

Sums it up I think