Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Am i protected? Mini pill

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey everyone. I've started taking the the mini pill. I went to the doctors on the 22nd of March and started taking the pill from there on. I had sex without a condom on the 30th of May will i be protected against pregancey? I started my period on the 16th of May and came off on the 20th of May. Any advice will be great. Thanks :-)

Comments

• Options
    You won't have complete protection. None of the contraceptives out there are infallible. They rely on proper use, and even with perfect use will have a failure rate in the 1% range.

The mini pill in particular relies on very strict use, the typical failure rate in the first year is 8% and perfect use failure rate is 0.5%. That it to say, in one year typically 8 women in 100 will get pregnant, and with perfect use 1 woman in 200 will get pregnant. It does not protect against STDs either.

I understand that for you hetro lot that sex without a condom feels lovely. So if you're confident that your partner is clear, and know that you are clear, enjoy yourselves. But you can get pregnant if you're not careful, and even if you're unlucky.
  • Options
    From memory you need to be on it and taking it properly for a week to be protected. Like fiend says, nothing is infallible but the doctor should have explained it to you.

Is there a leaflet in the box it came in? That should be able to help. It would also help if you told us which one you're on as there's more variety between the mini pills than there is between standard ones.

With all mini pills its important to take it at the same time each day.
  • Options
    So, is anyone actually on the mini pill cerazette? It says take the pill the first few days of your period... I didn"t! I took it two days after i went off. I then had sex nine days after. All i want to know is that am i procteted? Due to the fact that i took it two days after my period. "march" not May. Is anyone gonna help?
  • Options
    I used to be on it - the manufacturers website is quite handy www.cerazette.co.uk

The below is taken from there:

Take your first pill on the first day of your period.
    You will be protected from pregnancy straight away. If you take Cerazette on days 2?5 of your period, you will need to use an additional barrier method for the first 7 days of tablet taking.

It also has information about missing a pill - in which case you need to use additional protection for 7 days.

So, as long as you'd been taking it properly for 7 days before you had unprotected sex then you should be covered.

But......

I suggest that before relying on it again you read through the leaflet in the packet, and through the above website and get a good understanding of how it works.
  • Options
    Hey custard :wave:

As Scary Monster says, if you've taken it for 7 days properly before having unprotected sex then you should be covered.

If you're still worried then you can get expert advice from AskBrook - they offer free and confidential sexual health advice via text, helpine, email and their drop in centres, here's the link: https://www.askbrook.org.uk/

You could also give NHS Direct a call on 0845 46 47 or make an appointment with your GP to put your mind at ease :)
  • Options
    I just want to reiterate what should be obvious. You may be protected against pregnancy, but you are not protected against other STDs.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    I just want to reiterate what should be obvious. You may be protected against pregnancy, but you are not protected against other STDs.

:yes:
  • Options
    Haah! you finally got an answer!
    If you do feel insecure, try and make an appointment with your GP, and of corse, post back on here if you have any other concerns, hopefully you will get a reply! :d