Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Suicidal Thoughts

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
You probably get threads like this quite often but I need help, I know I do. Feeling this suicidal is hurting me, literally.

I have felt like this for a few weeks now.

The reason I have felt like this is because of family troubles, which have been going on since I was born; my friends don't seem like friends anymore; university has got so much more difficult; work is so stressful; and I simply feel like an odd ball and that I don't matter to anyone.

I sit in my room most of the time or even sit in the shower wondering what it would be like if I was gone, and if anyone would actually miss me. I come up with all these possibilites on how I could hurt myself, either by just self-harming, seriously hurting myself or any solution that may end up in death.

I know I need help, I've seen my best friend go through this and she self-harmed very badly and almost killed herself. I refuse to talk to her about it as she had moved on and I wouldn't like to bring up what happened almost six years ago.

How do I go about getting the help I need? Do I go to my doctor? My best friend had a psychologist, should I speak to one?

Thanks in advance for all advice and replies.

Comments

• Options
    Hi hooha-dooda :wave:,

I am sorry to hear that you are feeling this low at the moment. It sounds like you have got lots going on, you say that university has become very difficult and stressful, have you tried speaking to any of your tutor's about the way you are feeling ?? Is there anything that has changed with your course that has made it become more difficult ?.Im sure if you chat to people within your uni they may be able to help and try to support you into making things a bit more manageable if you are finding yourself becoming stressed.

You also say that you are experiencing family problems that have been going on since you were born, these can be very upsetting whatever they may be and may be an idea to confide in someone, maybe a student counsellor ? or you could try chatting out in the open with your family. Its important to do whatever you feel ready to do and with what you are most comfortable with.

Im sure that you have lots of people around you that really care and would hate to think that you are feeling like this. It may be worth speaking to your best friend who has felt similar to the way you are feeling now, like you say it may be best to not bring back up her experiences but maybe confide in her and let her know how you are feeling at this time and that you feel you really need a good friend to support you.

It may be an idea to go and speak to your doctor and explain the way you are feeling, he may refer you on to some services that could help you and maybe offer you some kind of talking therapies i.e counselling.

I hope that things start to feel better for you soon, Please keep posting here at the site and let us know how you are getting on.

Take care,
    B:thumb:
  • Options
    I went through the same probem for about three years... I had probem with family and i had no friends to turn to. The thoughts lasted days at a time then dissppear for a few days then came back. I then told my connexions advisor because i couldn't tell anyone else. He then transferred me to a councellor who helped talk over my probems and worries and to get to the route of why i was getting the thoughts. I attended the sessions once a week for about two and a half years. I finally stopped going about March last year then i got into a relationship and the thoughts have completly gone. I find the key to sort out these thoughts is to chat about them... With someone you trush! It's perfectly normal to have them you just got to have a way to controll them. I wish you all the luck in the work! Take care