Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Calorie burning .. is this a correct amount?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just a quick one. I've been using an exercise bike recently, which has a little screen on it that tells you the calories you are burning etc

Anyway i'm just wondering how accurate these things actually are. I'm not exactly counting calories but nontheless it is still interesting to know how much im burning in each session.

I'm doing about 16km on the bike in around the 35-40 minutes. The calorie counter is saying im burning around 230 calories in that time. That cant be right surely? I was chatting to a guy at work who went for a run the other day, about 3 miles and he said his calorie counter said he burnt 500 calories.

Anyone have any knowledge around this subject? It would be interesting to hear.

Comments

• Options
    it depends, do you put in your height and weight to the machine?

Theyre not particularly accurate. if you want accuracy, you might want to invest in a HRM with a chest strap
  • Options
    it depends, do you put in your height and weight to the machine?

Theyre not particularly accurate. if you want accuracy, you might want to invest in a HRM with a chest strap

Nah, its not that advanced lol Its just a screen with a timer, distance and calorie counter.

Im not too fussed really, i know im burning something at least! Would just be interesting.

I found a site that supposedly calculates it by entering my weight and the time i spent i on the bike. It says i have burned 440 calories. lol, all kinds of numbers flying around!
  • Options
    Depends what intensity you have the bike set at. The easiest setting probably would only burn that many calories, a harder setting would burn more. I normally have it set at about level 13 out of 25 and burn about100 calories every ten minutes. Set it harder and I burn more, be lazy and set it easier and I burn less.