Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Therapy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:wave:

Hey guysssss

I've just come back from my third therapy session, and I'm feeling a bit blergh. Was wondering if any of you guys who have been through a similar thing could give me some tips on how to get through?

There are several things really... first of all, I feel like I never really know the answers to the questions, and just end up picking something out of thin air if that makes sense? I also just feel so awful afterwards really, I can't even put my finger on what it is, I just feel like bursting into tears and my outlook becomes really negative. Like this morning I woke up feeling fine, and now suddenly everything that is stressing me out is just there, and arghhh I want to be able to get on with my day. And I have "homework" which is making me feel bad, I don't want to have to think about anything :grump:

Any advice?

*hug*

Comments

• Options
    It takes a bit of time getting used to the whole format of therapy I found.
    Firstly it is important to remember that there are no right or wrong answers in therapy, the questions are usually an attempt to encourage you to talk and to guide the conversation, if you are dealing with particularly difficult stuff, your therapist will be aware that you're not going to just sit and have a good old chat about it. It takes time.
    I also remember that post-therapy feeling, for me I always had to take a walk afterwards and try and regroup, I would also plan something enjoyable, even something small like a phone call to a friend, but just something to put me back in my place.
    Chin up! Therapy is much harder work than most people think, but for me certainly it really made all the difference.
  • Options
    I've had the post-therapy feeling also, for some reason i usually get to talking about the tough stuff/stuff that makes me cry right near the end of the session and so i leave still feeling upset and it does drain me mentally for a few days because you're facing issues head on that usually day to day are buried. It will get easier the more you do it though. I've found the more i've talked about difficult events the less emotion there is attached to them each time, until it's easy to see them objectively.
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I also had problems after sessions. I found it wrote the remainder of the day off because I was exhausted/thinking about what we'd talked about. My solution? Leave the rest of the day free to do what you enjoy; go for a coffee, sleep, watch a dvd... I also found that I needed to be alone, so maybe if you're the same build that into your day? Could you maybe change the time of your session to later in the day so that you can get a lot done beforehand?
  • Options
    pleased to hear that your appointments have started *hug*

basically you can't just go to therapy week by week and think that you'll change, you have to think about the issues you've discussed inbetween your sessions and do your best to do the homework part. because you're going to therapy to change how you feel and act in your life, not just in that timeslot in the clinic, it's best to think of it as a lifestyle change. so even though it's really painful and difficult because really private and raw feelings are coming to the surface, you can't leave it behind in the therapy room, you've got to carry on the work at home. and that's also why you feel shit afterwards, because it's really bloody hard and you have to face things you would rather ignore. so as others have said it's good to have a bit of time alone afterwards to reflect on what happened in the appointment and find some calm. it's ok to feel emotional and tired but try to remember that it's actually a good thing because it means you're working through those difficult feelings.
  • Options
    Sorry it has taken me so long to reply!

Thanks so much for all your responses :heart:

I wish I could do something nice after therapy, but I just don't have time :( I finish at 1 or just before, and every other week I need to be back for a 2-5 session, or the other weeks arrive late for a 1-3 session. I wish I had the time afterwards to take it all in, and think about it, but I *have* to push it to one side to focus on other stuff. These are compulsory sessions which I can't miss, and I've already rescheduled them from the morning.

I do force myself to think about stuff at other times... it is tempting to keep it to the one hour sessions, but I know I have to think outside these times :(

I am trying so hard. My boyfriend thinks he has noticed a change (not necessarily linked to therapy) and so I guess things are moving forward due to one thing or another, whether I feel better or not.

Just gotta keep at it I guess :) However - I am dreading moving to a different county in September and all my support and help disappearing :(
  • Options
    Hi yellow seahorse :wave:,

How are you feeling this evening ?:wave:. Have you had any more therapy sessions ? If so have you felt any better after them ?, as girl-gunner was saying therapy can be a lot harder than people think and it can be very emotionally draining. It may be an idea to have a bit of time to yourself after them just to reflect on things and what the session has entailed.

You also say that you are moving to a different county in September and that you will lose all your support and help, moving to a different place can always stir up lots of uncertainties as it is such a big change but it is amazing how quickly things all fall into place and you can make a new life for yourself.:thumb:

I hope this has been helpful and please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on.

Take Care,
    B.:wave: