Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Finding new work.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey people,

So I am looking to relocate and change jobs soon, I have been looking and applying for a few but I have noticed a lot of the portions are posted with per day rates, and the rates are bloody good, ie £100 per day for a first line support call logger.

Firstly I am mainly looking for salaried work than hourly rate, but it seems either A, too good to be true, I noticed they are all on interim contracts too where as I am looking for permanent work.

Anyway I am currently with jobsite.co.uk can anyone recommend any others?

Comments

• Options
    When I was searching I found reed.co.uk were good for advertising science jobs (though I think they also advertise "non-science" jobs?). Would recommend them.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Totaljobs.com
  • Options
    Thanks, Most of whats on Totaljobs and Reed are on jobsite but I did find some others so thanks,

Around 25 positions applied for, I heard some stuff back but I am wondering if most dismiss me straight off for having an address in Scotland, even though my covering letter states I am moving to Essex/South East England

I haven't heard back, but I only started to apply on the 17th so I guess it is too early.
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Thanks, Most of whats on Totaljobs and Reed are on jobsite but I did find some others so thanks,

Around 25 positions applied for, I heard some stuff back but I am wondering if most dismiss me straight off for having an address in Scotland, even though my covering letter states I am moving to Essex/South East England

I haven't heard back, but I only started to apply on the 17th so I guess it is too early.

I've been in a similar situation. Job in Cornwall and I live in Plymouth. As soon as I said that I don't have a second address,(ie, one in Cornwall) I never heard from them again.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    I've been in a similar situation. Job in Cornwall and I live in Plymouth. As soon as I said that I don't have a second address,(ie, one in Cornwall) I never heard from them again.

Yeah, I am wondering if I should change my CV to have my mothers address on it, therefore being closer to them, I am unsure though :/
  • Options
    Awww, my first rejection. I hate rejection.. :(
  • Options
    I dunno, the fact you are applying for jobs "down south" when you are so far away indicates you would be willing to move, in my opinion. Though it may be worth adding it too your covering letter just to reiterate the point.

Edit: I wouldn't just put your mothers address on it, as they may assume you are local so ask you at short notice for an interview, you'll only end up explaining to them then that you need more notice for travelling/ finding a hotel for the night etc, and they may wonder what else you lied about!
  • Options
    Purpled, you make so much sense, I did state in my covering letter that I am looking to move to the Essex/Cambridge area, so not sure what else I can do :/
  • Options
    Reeds are obviously idiots, email saying this position fits my CV,

Freight exporter, good salary. But REQ KNOWLEDGE OF IMPORT EXPORT PROCEDURES, I've never worked import export before, Wtf... Fools
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Reeds are obviously idiots, email saying this position fits my CV,

Freight exporter, good salary. But REQ KNOWLEDGE OF IMPORT EXPORT PROCEDURES, I've never worked import export before, Wtf... Fools

If you're doing it from the website, then it's automated and it probably goes by keywords.

I get a lot of stuff come through with my Guardian Jobs emails that I am clearly massively underqualified for.
  • Options
    It was a personalised email to myself. :/ but maybe, yeah,

Oh well. Got asked if I wanted to apply for a position today within a company in or near Colchester.

Good thing is the company are one of our product suppliers so I know their software quite well, should get my foot in the door, salary is lower than I wanted, 16-23k but if I get offered 20+ I can afford it so may accept,

Here's hoping.
  • Options
    Which Reed are you registered with?

I should probably register with them too >.<
  • Options
    Reed.co.uk :) but jobsite seems the best so far,
  • Options
    There's also Monster and JobCentrePlus.