Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Found a small lump on my testicle. So scared! Don't know how to tell my mum/dad!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So I felt some pain in my right testicle on Tuesday, it soon disappeared. Then last night (Friday) it was feeling a bit painful again after ejaculating, which hasn't happened before. Since it was only the right testicle I had a quick check (even got a warm shower) and felt a small lump about the size of a pin head. I'm pretty sure it's on the testicle itself - although I find it hard to say where the lump is because it seems to be different (I guess that's just the movement of the testicle) it's near the top, where all the tubes attach, it feels as if there's a tube that actually runs to the lump. I wouldn't say it was painful but when I push or wiggle it, it gives me that kicked in the balls kind of pain, just scaled down quite a bit. Right now I just feel a bit of an annoyance down there, I did masturbate about an hour ago to see if it brought on pain again, but it didn't.

Some additional information: I remember that there was a period, probably around six months ago, when my testicles would some times hurt then running, but I thought nothing of it.

I'm in my late teens and now I'm really worried, could barely eat last night after I found the small lump. All of today I've been feeling worried, even bailed out of my plans for tonight. On the one hand I really want to get it checked out especially since I'm going on vacation next week, like with anything, I get overly worried, but on the other hand I do not like the thought of the doctor checking out my balls and I feel really anxious about telling my parents. How can I just go up to my mum and say 'I just found a lump on my balls' would I even say balls? It's just so awkward; we've never spoke about anything like that.

I don't really know why I'm on here. I know that I really should go get it checked out, I also know that I don't necessarily have to tell my parents but I'd rather them know, I think.. I mean I don't even know how to book a doctor's appointment, never mind one for a matter like this.

The thought that this is could be Cancer just makes me feel awful, I want to just say to my self that it's probably nothing, but I can't. 24 hours ago I had nothing on my mind and was looking forward to the weekend, now I can't stop googling this and feeling my balls. Whenever I think to do something to get my mind at rest, such as watching TV or going out I just think NO that's not going to change anything, I know I can't just sit back, but I don't know what to do!

I need advice, please, on exactly what I should do/how I should do it.

Also guys, is there any reason my views on this post are going up so slowly in comparison? Have I done something wrong?

Comments

• Options
    It could just be a cyst. To book a doctors appointment, you just need to phone up and ask to make an appointment.
  • Options
    Been there dude.

It's most likely a cyst and these are pretty common whilst cancer is much rarer. However, it's not worth taking the risk and so you need to see your GP as soon as possible.

Either ring the GP or go in to get an appointment. If you are really worried then try a walk-in centre

Yes it will invade your thoughts, it certainly did mine.

Oh, and stop googling it!
  • Options
    Hi Inbetweener. :wave:

It sounds like your quite stressed at the minute. First of all, don’t panic! Lumps and bumps can appear on your testicles or scrotum for all sorts of reasons and many of them are harmless.

However to ease your own anxieties and be absolutely certain, you should make an appointment to see your doctor as soon as possible. This is because lumps always need to be checked out whether they look harmless or not.

Lumps in the testicle can be a number of things, they can be a cyst, hernia, or sometimes a swollen blood vessel. None of which are that problematic.

If you don't feel you could talk to your parents, is there a friend you could confide in?

The main thing is, to ease your anxieties make an appointment to see your family doctor.

Below is advice from a doctor to another teenager with a similar problem, this should give you some more insight.

http://www.teenagehealthfreak.org/question/small-bump-my-testicle

Let us know how you get on. :thumb:
  • Options
    Thanks for your answers so far. I feel like that by finding the lump I have found a cancerous lump, when the reality is that I've found something I should get checked out. Seemingly I feel that If I say to my Mum 'I need a doctors appoint, I found a lump on my right ball', I'm telling her that I've got cancer.. It's a mix of embarrassment and not wanting her to worry. I mean I'm shit scared myself, feel apprehensive of even using the word cancer.. My Dad just got the all clear after a 2 year battle with prostate cancer, and the worst thing is he barely took two weeks of work, and I probably didn't show him as much compassion as I should have - probably my defence mechanism to pretend there was nothing wrong. Anyhow this a different matter, sorry for blabing on..
  • Options
    But you're not telling them you've got cancer. I found a lump just over 6 years ago. My parents initially thought it was a bruise or something. It just turned out to be an infection. Whilst you do need to get it checked, (I had to because it burst and became painful) it's extremely unlikely to be cancer.

I'm sure your mum would rather you told her than said nothing.
  • Options
    Thanks

I know I know, I'm just so bad at this.. I found it hard enough to tell her I scratched my car a while back.

I keep going downstairs and lurking about.. wanting to tell her but my sister's there, they're eating and watching TV. I'm gonna go down when my sister goes to bed and try tell her, but I don't know what to say!
  • Options
    How old are you? I assume you're not 16 or under as you said late teens so you really dont have to tell your parents anything if you dont want to until you've seen the doctor
  • Options
    Just say," Mum im gonna book an appointment on monday to see the doctor because i think i felt a lump on one of my balls the other day. Think i need to go get it checked out."

It'll be fine :) She will be happy you've told her and you'll feel a massive amount of relief after youve told her. Try not to worry, it could be anything and you wont know until you've been to a doctors :)
  • Options
    Orrr if you dont exactly want to tell her the whole lump thing, just say you have a little bit of pain in your balls which you're not used to and you think you should get it checked out.
  • Options
    Correct Lexi, I just didn't want my exact aged shown. Stupid thought, I know, but I thought maybe a friend would read this and piece together the facts, so..

But I think I'd rather tell them. Also if they found out afterwards they'd ask why I didn't tell them, and they'd be right tbh, because I should tell them. I'd expect them to tell me.
  • Options
    Hi GoodFella, I like your idea seems kind of casual and sounds like what I'd say.. I couldn't say it was just pain, she'd only ask me to check for any lumps.

I don't know whether I'm more worried about it been cancerous, telling my mum that I want to go to my GP, or actually getting checked out at the GP! I'm bloody confused right now, and scared.
  • Options
    A couple of weeks ago i had to do the same thing as you. I had/have these randomly appearing lumps on both my testicles and decided i had to really go get it checked out. Telling my rents wasnt all that bad really. They seemed pretty cool and calm about it.

Having the doc check my balls was fine also. I mean of course its a little odd at first but at the end of the day he's seen it all before and isnt judging you. He'll have a quick check of them and see if he can feel anything. Its really nothing to worry about :)
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote: »
    Having the doc check my balls was fine also. I mean of course its a little odd at first but at the end of the day he's seen it all before and isnt judging you. He'll have a quick check of them and see if he can feel anything. Its really nothing to worry about :)

On that note - you can request to see a male GP if you feel more comfortable doing so.
  • Options
    GoodFella, what was the outcome for you, good news, I hope?
  • Options
    The doctor couldnt feel anything when i went. He told me to keep an eye on it for a couple of weeks which i have been doing, pretty much every day. Some days i feel it, some days i dont. Some days i feel it on both, sometimes on just the left one, sometimes just on the right one. You get the idea.

He was pretty sure it was nothing too serious but i am going to go back at some stage this week. He'll probably check them again and i might ask if i can have a scan on them just to be safe.

In your case, you really cant do anything now. Like Slartibartfast said, try not to spend all night googling it. It wont help and it will just stress you out even more.
  • Options
    You guys have really reassured me, I'm not quite sure how, but I feel much more at ease now - I just need to try keep my mind off it and get it checked out.

One thing is sure though, even if this turns out to be nothing which hopefully, and probably it will, I will definitely have a different outlook on life. It may seem pathetic or look like I think I've been though something, but I'll look at those fighting any serious illness, and those survivors, including my Dad, with a hell of a lot more understanding and respect, and look at my life in a more relative light.
  • Options
    You guys have really reassured me, I'm not quite sure how, but I feel much more at ease now - I just need to try keep my mind off it and get it checked out.

One thing is sure though, even if this turns out to be nothing which hopefully, and probably it will, I will definitely have a different outlook on life. It may seem pathetic or look like I think I've been though something, but I'll look at those fighting any serious illness, and those survivors, including my Dad, with a hell of a lot more understanding and respect, and look at my life in a more relative light.

Cool :) Let us know how you get on!
  • Options
    Please don't let embarrasment put you off seeing your doctor. You feel like you need the suppot of your parents, tell them or if you think you'll be ok till you know what wrong, then maybe tell them once you know.
  • Options
    I just told my mum about it and she's going to book me an appointment for Monday, we didn't really speak about the possibilities of what it may be until I casually mentioned what I'd read on the internet. So just fingers crossed for now, I mean it still seems surreal that I've found this lump, but we'll see.

For anyone reading this thread for advice, rather than making their own thread: It wasn't too awkward at all really I just said that I think I need a doctors appointment, then explained. Go ahead and do it, don't leave it and hope it goes away. It's better to be safe than sorry, and if like my you know that you've gotta get it checked one way or another, just forget about embarrassing yourself and get it done with, you regret what you don't do in life.
  • Options
    Glad you found the courage to deal with this straight away, fingers crossed its no big deal and least you have acted quickly which is so important.
    Its always best to get these checked out "Dont die of Embarrasment" :thumb:
  • Options
    I just told my mum about it and she's going to book me an appointment for Monday, we didn't really speak about the possibilities of what it may be until I casually mentioned what I'd read on the internet. So just fingers crossed for now, I mean it still seems surreal that I've found this lump, but we'll see.

For anyone reading this thread for advice, rather than making their own thread: It wasn't too awkward at all really I just said that I think I need a doctors appointment, then explained. Go ahead and do it, don't leave it and hope it goes away. It's better to be safe than sorry, and if like my you know that you've gotta get it checked one way or another, just forget about embarrassing yourself and get it done with, you regret what you don't do in life.

Nice one! :)
  • Options
    Hi all, just got back from the doctors. She couldn't actually feel the lump, because of it's size, and whereabouts I guess. She asked questions and said that she was reassured that there was nothing to be worried about, not even enough to ask me to come back for a check up but she set up an ultra sound for reassurance, and told me not to worry. I'm relieved, but being me I won't be fully at rest until the results of the scan.

As for the embarrassment, it really wasn't bad. I could feel that I was red, but other than that I really didn't mind, which is surprising for me, they're very professional, they have to be. Although it didn't help that I was nervous, and that the room was cold!

Anyway what I'm saying is; it's really not bad so if anyone is reading this for advice, just go get it checked, I'm glad I did!
  • Options
    Would it have made it easier to see a male doctor? You are able to request this.
  • Options
    I really didn't mind, as it happens to male doctor of that practice was away so I just booked it with my GP. To be honest a male doctor would probably judge more!
  • Options
    Nah he wouldnt. He'd probably be more sympathetic cos he is a man and can understand what you're going through whereas a woman can only guess.

But anyway, well done on going and glad its nothing serious :)
  • Options
    Nice one, well done on going. The doctors office is always cold at the worst times aint it! At least now you know its nothing to worry about and if you need to go back for the same thing in the future (hopefully not) then it'll be a breeze :)
  • Options
    No doctor worth their salt would judge you for being careful.
  • Options
    :)

Hi folks, im just here to say im going through exctly what this guy went through right now, and ive just stumbled across this.... mate you have inspired me to book an appointment after reading your story and the replies from every one

so basicly im just writing this to say thanks... although i know the thread is old and you probs wont see this
    but if you do say hi :)
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi folks, im just here to say im going through exctly what this guy went through right now, and ive just stumbled across this.... mate you have inspired me to book an appointment after reading your story and the replies from every one

so basicly im just writing this to say thanks... although i know the thread is old and you probs wont see this
    but if you do say hi :)

Hi, thanks for posting. :wave: