Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Champix - Stopping smoking

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone tried this? Its supposed to be very effective but the side effects sound some what alarming.

I can handle the feeling sick etc but I am worried that it could fuck with my mental state, which is fine now but hasn't always been the case.

I understand from reading that the doctor wont perscribe Champix if you have had problems with depression etc, to this end I dont intend to tell the doctor, but I was just looking for others experience of Champix?

Cal

Comments

• Options
    I once had problems with depression but I still used Champix.

Personally I thought it was amazing and would happily recommend it to anyone. The downside is that it's 12wk course and after that you're on your own. Guess when I failed!

FYI - you start with one pill per day for the first week and you have to keep smoking during that week. Then it ups to two pills and you should stop smoking during the next few days. Personally I found that after day six I just didn't want the cigs anymore but forced myself to go for an extra couple of days. I really didn't miss them at all (until I had some serious stress a few months later then, oops fail time).

The only side effect I had was vivid dreams (it's listed as possible nightmares), and when I say vivid I mean really clear. In colour and I could remember every detail like it was a TV programme. Weird.
  • Options
    I think as long as you watch how you feel and that you know that it's probably the tablets making you depressed, then I think you should be fine. But of course anyone should check with their GP.
    My mam started them in February and she hasn't smoked since. She didn't have any side effects.
  • Options
    MoK - you took champix and then went back to smoking?

I thought it was supposed to be fail safe? A friend who used it cant stand the smell of cigarette now, they make her feel safe?

Are you still smoking?
  • Options
    I did. To be honest it was a few months later and I was really stressed. Went back to the same old crutch and yeah the first few tasted fucking awful!

I'm still smoking but I'm going back to GP to look at starting Champix again soon...

It really is good though, at work we refer to it as "Champix the Wonder Drug" because it seems to be the most effective was of quitting other than basic will power - much more so that NRT
  • Options
    is it the same as zyban?
    My ex went on that, and it was sucessful for giving up smoking, but mentally he went a bit funny aND ENDED up needing proper antidepressants afterwards
  • Options
    MoK - did you suffer from Insomnia and then needing to sleep sooo much from the medication?

I hate not being able to sleep, so not looking forward to that.
  • Options
    No sleep issues. Like I say just vivid dreams, which was weird.
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    No sleep issues. Like I say just vivid dreams, which was weird.

Id settle for that ^^

Day 1, just starting, so lets see :D
  • Options
    Bit of an update, but its been a breeze. No side effects other than feeling a bit sick (hardly anything) for 30 mins after taking it.

Wasn't even tempted after having a few drinks in the beer garden with smoker mates. That would be usually when I fuck up.
  • Options
    MoK Likes This :thumb:
  • Options
    I know a few friends who have used this no side affects and they still don't smoke actually they hate the smell i used the patches and i have not touched a ciggie for about 5 years i recken Goodluck x
  • Options
    Day 5 of cold turkey and will power. I've started having dreams about smoking. :D
  • Options
    I did. To be honest it was a few months later and I was really stressed. Went back to the same old crutch and yeah the first few tasted fucking awful!

I'm still smoking but I'm going back to GP to look at starting Champix again soon...

Damn you MoK, I was feeling quite smug about quitting, thinking, 'oh I wont make the same mistake as MoK'

Here I am back on the ciggies. I only lasted 6 hours in Bangkok before I was lighting up again :lol:

Champix for the second time, here I come. :thumb:
  • Options
    :yippe:

I'm not alone
  • Options
    LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    Hey Calvin,
    Sorry to hear your quitting didn't last as long as you hoped

Just thought I'd pop by with some info for anyone else who is thinking about quitting and thinking through the options, we have a great article on ways to give up smoking, and a couple of videos including some top tips and advice from a stop smoking advisor.

Good luck with the champix the second time round Calvin, hope it works for you :thumb:
  • Options
    Im just on day one of takin champix been readin all the posts and feelin worried about the side-effects like vivid dreams and sleep problems as i dont sleep well at the moment.... been smokin since i was 14..26 now managed to give up a few yrs ago lasted over 2 yrs on my own had none for over 2 yrs then went through a rough time and went back on tried again a few times with no success really want & need to get off them now...

Can anyone give me advice ????