Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I'm scared of going to my GP for help with self-harming

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been self-harming for quite a long time. But lately what I used to do doesn't really help anymore, my ways have become a bit more severe and I think it's probably time I tried to get some real help. My only problem is I have so many dreams for my future I'm still a student and I'm scared having self-harm on my records may stop me acheiving my goals. Can someone please shed some light on this situation?
Many thanks someone who needs your advice xxxxx

Comments

• Options
    hello,

i don't know exactly what you mean by having self-harm 'on your records'... do you mean your medical records? if you do then it's entirely confidential and no future employer would get access to them without your permission, and even then if it was an issue in the past then it isn't very likely to be a problem. most employers wouldn't need to see your medical records anyway - it's more likely that you would fill in an occupational health form and declare yourself fit to work. at the end of the day, you are more likely to fail to achieve your goals because you are struggling for a long time with self-harm than because you got some help to overcome it.

if you are motivated for change then please go to your GP and see what services are available to you. as you've found out, the longer you leave it, the worse it gets.
  • Options
    :wave:
    I can understand why you're scared, I was absolutely terrified! But really, it's not as bad as you think it will be :)
    When it comes to your gp office, what happens in vegas stays in vegas. *cough*
    But yes, only your gp or whoever is treating you can see your records, and usually your employers wouldn't care about a problem that you're dealing with most of the time, (although this obviously sometimes has the odd rare exception, medicine etc.)
    Also, if you're going to your gp again for something different in the future, in my experience they wont mention it if it isn't of relevance. The last time I went in for an asthma check-up, and they brought up my records to type stuff in, all you could see was "SUICIDE ATTEMPT......REFFERAL TO CAMHS........SELF HARM......REFFERAL TO CAMHS...." haha, but they didn't mention it.
    I hope you decide to go for it, good luck :)
  • Options
    Thank you guys, I just don't like the thought of it being on my medical records, it's not something I'm proud of, and not something very many people know about, I've only told the people closest to me, even my partner doesn't know at the moment. I will see what i can do but I don't really want to talk to my regular GP I don't trust him much so I'm going to see if my practice nurse will help me instead I think. I trust her a lot more. If anyone else has any information I would really appreciate it
    Some extremely grateful for your help :) xxxxxxx
  • Options
    i've generally found nurses to be much easier to talk to than doctors. just book an appointment and see how you feel when you get there, you don't have to say anything that you don't want to say.
  • Options
    Hi enterusernamehere :wave:

Welcome to TheSite.

Firstly, well done for speaking out and wanting to take positive action regarding your Self Harming.

There are some encouraging responses already from the guys above me.

You should consider looking at the information section here on TheSite regarding visiting your doctor to talk about Self Harm. It tells you what to expect from them and what guidance they have to follow when talking to people who are disclosing. It might give you some insight.

http://www.thesite.org/healthandwellbeing/mentalhealth/selfharm/visitingyourdoctor

Hope that gives you some help.

Let us know how you get on with your practice nurse

Phil :thumb: