Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Protein, Question.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If you were to eat around 123g of protein in one meal, how would your body use it? Would more protein, simply take longer, to digest or would your body just get rid of what it does not need at that time.

Comments

• Options
    your body wouldnt digest that much protein in one go
  • Options
    Hi Donald,:wave:

I have added a link for you to have a look at on Healthy eating.

I hope you find this helpful.

Keep posting here at the site,
    Tc,

B:thumb:
  • Options
    I've always learned it as, take the weight of yourself in pounds and divide by 2, that is how much protein you need per day.

This is mine:

154 / 2 = 77g / day.

So eating that much protein wouldn't be a good idea in one meal, you'd just have bad gas. Your body won't digest it all properly. Are you eating that by food or supplements?
  • Options
    Well, you would digest it, where else should it go? But your body has a certain demand for proteins and if it's covered you won't absorb any more but simply excrete it through your digestive system. Proteins are mainly needed for muscles, so men and sporty people generally have a higher demand.

It is not especially harmful to eat a lot of protein, most people get too few anyway (note that there are "better" and "worse" proteins tho), as long as you drink enough (proteins have a lot of nitrogen in them, which the kidneys need to process into urea. Be kind to your kidneys and drink a lot, because they have to work hard).