Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Dog ownership

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So... I think the UK is a little less backwards than my small Iceland.

Do you under any circumstances need permission from your neighbours to keep a dog in your own apartments?

I'm just curious as where I live I have a private entrance on the ground floor but I need written permission to get a dog from every single one of my neighbours as I live in a 9 apartment building. They don't need to explain to anyone why they say yes or no and can say yes to one neighbour but not the next. :yeees:

Comments

• Options
    Not neighbours I don't think. I've never heard of that here anyway! You quite often need permission from your landlord though.
  • Options
    what would happen if you just got yourself a dog without asking anyone?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    what would happen if you just got yourself a dog without asking anyone?

The people in my building could report it to my city council and then they'd be able to force me to get rid of the dog if they pressed hard enough.

Although currently there's people living on the 3rd floor that have an unregistered dog that they keep on their balcony when they are not at home and he barks and barks have been unable to get it removed even if has been reported.

I'm just kinda pissed off that me getting a dog might depend on whether a fucked up drug dealer who's been in and out of jail gives me his permission or not.

I'm halfway through getting the needed permissions though. Am hoping the dealer's house was sold on an auction recently so I don't need to give him a call.

I just have the feeling Iceland's one of very few countries with such a messed up view of dog ownership. +sigh+
  • Options
    I'm not sure if I think it's a fucked up policy or not. It makes sense on one hand -a person owning a dog in a built up area does affect other people but, having to ask all the neighbours seems like a silly way of doing things.
  • Options
    I do think it's a good idea to have something available if there's a lot of disruption from a dog but to need to get people to say yes or no before the dog may even been born is a bit daft in my mind.
  • Options
    Its a good idea to get a dog