Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

BPD/PTSD treatment and support

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was physically/sexually/emotionally abused by a close family member when I was younger, and as a result of being told to keep silent about all of it, and having my self-value eroded away to nothing, I've developed mental health issues.

I was diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder and panic disorder when I was 15/16 and told that psychodynamic psychtherapy was the answer. 3 years of therapy on and they decided that psychoanalysis was the right way to go. 7 treatments in and the therapist decided it was best to not continue at that stage because it was potencially contributing to my symptoms not alleviating them.

So, the doctors tried citalopram - which I now know I'm allergic to, Setraline, Risperidone, Pregabalin, they varied the doses, tried different combinations (the only one that worked at all was pregabalin, but my doctor now won't let me have it because its not first line medication for anxiety), and then took me off without tapering them down when I was given a new diagnosis of borderline personality disorder.

I then had all support removed, was given no treatment and was told that was that, I would either get better of my own accord or commit suicide...Nice! I made complaints, had a second opinion (who consulted the first, which I think biased his opinion), and still I wasn't given any support.

So, 4 months ago, I moved to a new area, got referred by the practice's community mental health nurse to the area's CBT service, who assessed me and from what I told them decided that CBT would be a trigger for me (the abuser was himself a CBT therapist and used some of his the techniques against me, in a negative way). So I've been referred onto a support service set up by a charity who may or may not take my case on. My doctor wants me to take venaflaxine, which I'm really not keen on, considering the side effects (I used to have seizures and it lowers the seizure threshold, I've been seizure free for a while, and really don't want them to come back), but other than that, I have no support. I was paying for art therapy, but I can't afford to anymore, even considering it was subdisided by a charity.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what to do next? DBT sounds like it might be helpful, but I haven't self-harmed (at least in a cutting sense) for years, so it seems like I can't get referred to that either...I'm trying to teach myself mindfulness techniques, and I'm changing my contraception so I can give St Johns Wort a go. Otherwise, I'm really stuck with what to do next. I keep being told to go privately, but I have no money to do that, and what kind of therapy do I go for?

I'm getting to a really difficult stage, its really starting to muck up my life and I'm out of work, and have been signed off for 2 months, I don't really know what to do with myself to get better. p.s sorry for the long post

Comments

• Options
    There is another treatment called MBT (mentalisation based therapy) that is designed for BPD. I have found it very successful. You don't have to be actively self-harming to be accepted. It is becoming increasingly available. I would recommend it. It had really helped me with coming to terms with sexual abuse that I suffered when I was younger and other issues I face.
  • Options
    I'm not sure the local mental health trust offer that, but I've left a message with the person who assessed me, and if she comes back to me, I'll suggest it and see what she says.

At this point I don't care if I have to travel for an hour+ once a week to get treatment, just as long as I can get something that will help me!
  • Options
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    My doctor wants me to take venaflaxine, which I'm really not keen on, considering the side effects

i switched to venlafaxine about 3 months ago (and i'm on a v high dose) and haven't experienced any terrible side effects apart from the usual ones you expect like exhaustion etc. i was scared about it too because i'd read loads of horror stories but it's not been that bad for me. obviously i can't comment on seizures because that doesn't effect me but wanted to reassure you that it might not be that bad in terms of other side effects.

why didn't your new GP refer you to the CMHT? if you can't afford to go private and you haven't got anything satisfactory from the NHS then i'm not sure what other routes to therapy there are? can you ask your doctor or the nurse to refer you for something other than CBT if that's not suitable?
  • Options
    It seems that because I'm an inteligent woman with a degree, they want to keep me out from the mental health system. Which in one way I understand, and in others seems totally ridiculous.

It always comes down to the term "severe and enduring". Aparently, I do not have a severe and enduring mental health issue and thus the CMHT won't take me on. The doctors don't seem to know what else there is, and I need to be on the CMHT to access most services...

fucking catch 22 if there ever was one... I'm just hoping rethink pick up my referal soon and can help me. (theres no MIND here either)
  • Options
    It always comes down to the term "severe and enduring". Aparently, I do not have a severe and enduring mental health issue and thus the CMHT won't take me on. The doctors don't seem to know what else there is, and I need to be on the CMHT to access most services

i've heard that one plenty of times before myself and sometimes nagging and complaining is the answer. maybe your GP needs the consequences of BPD explaining to them. the very fact that it is classed as an Axis II disorder (clinical depression, eating disorders, anxiety disorders etc are all Axis I) shows that it is both severe and enduring. look up the patient advice and liason service in your area (PALS), who might be able to fight your corner. i would also suggest that you ask your GP about their improving access to psychological services (IAPT) provision, which they should be offering for milder cases of depression/anxiety (i'm not suggesting that you are a mild case, not at all, i just mean that even if you were, there should be help there). they have a duty of care to you and i know it's distressing but you have to play them at their own game and not take no for an answer.
  • Options
    It was in a different area where I previously made a complaint. I'm hoping that rethink will pick me up and help me to get access to something!

Thanks for letting me know about the whole axis II thing, thats helpful to know! I just don't know what I can do to prove that I am needing help, and that I need them to take me on. They seem to think that to have a severe and enduring illness you must be on medication and have been hospitalised in the past.
  • Options
    Ok, so yesterday I called the person who refered me to rethink, who said to go back to the mental health nurse that referred me in the first place. She still didn't think that I should be referred on the the CMHT

Today, I went to the doctors and have been given a script for pregabalin (on a really low dose but hopefully that will at least lessen the anxiety which might make it easier to deal with everything else. He is also going to refer me back to the mental health nurse, so i can possibly get a referal to some other kind of therapy, and maybe a psychiatrist to have my diagnosis reviewed. I got a shock last week to find out I can't drive or work with children with a diagnosis of BPD :( I don't think thats what I have, I still think i have PTSD, that still means I can't do some things I might want to, but at least it means I'm not labelled as manipulative, violent, or having tentancies towards unhealthy relationships.
  • Options
    I got a shock last week to find out I can't drive or work with children with a diagnosis of BPD :( I don't think thats what I have, I still think i have PTSD, that still means I can't do some things I might want to, but at least it means I'm not labelled as manipulative, violent, or having tentancies towards unhealthy relationships.

Well that sounds like bollocks to me. I'm not manipulative or violent and I have never been in a seriously unhealthy relationship (my last one became unhealthy; that was when we ended it).
  • Options
    thats what my last psych told me. and the stuff about not working with kids was from a site about CRB and the DVLA have it down as one of their disqualifing conditions
  • Options
    thats what my last psych told me. and the stuff about not working with kids was from a site about CRB and the DVLA have it down as one of their disqualifing conditions

*kicks self for not researching diagnosis*

Edit: I've looked up the DVLA and they don't seem to list specific conditions; where did you find that?
  • Options
    direct.gov website i think
  • Options
    direct.gov wrote:
    If your personality disorder does not affect your safe driving you do not need to tell DVLA.

I don't think it's really an issue unless medication makes you sleepy or you're suicidal. That could apply to all sorts of conditions.
  • Options
    I got a shock last week to find out I can't drive or work with children with a diagnosis of BPD :( I don't think thats what I have, I still think i have PTSD, that still means I can't do some things I might want to, but at least it means I'm not labelled as manipulative, violent, or having tentancies towards unhealthy relationships.

i so wish that wasn't the perception of bpd :(

your medical history is totally separate from your CRB so i don't see how it would be affected? it could only arise if you've been held under section and even then if you could prove you were recovered then it probably wouldn't stop you from working with children in the vast majority of roles. also about driving, piccolo is right, they just want to check that you won't fall asleep at the wheel or drive yourself up a tree. if you want to learn to drive in the future then if the DVLA queried your application you could send them a medical letter to say that you are ok and they would probably have no problem with it.
  • Options
    omg hi wrote: »
    i so wish that wasn't the perception of bpd :(

An open-minded friend of mine said when I told him my diagnosis that, "You don't have Borderline, they're all horrid, manipulative people". Thankfully, my less open-minded friends have just not heard of it.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    An open-minded friend of mine said when I told him my diagnosis that, "You don't have Borderline, they're all horrid, manipulative people". Thankfully, my less open-minded friends have just not heard of it.

Old Mad

i've mostly not told anyone :( (except for people who are nice e.g. you)
  • Options
    omg hi wrote: »
    Old Mad

i've mostly not told anyone :( (except for people who are nice e.g. you)

I get so annoyed about the number of people who 'have' to be told. What the f* does it have to do with the flipping job centre?
  • Options
    I still hate the idea that I am any of those symptoms.

I was just sat down and told by a psychiatrist that because, I had been subject to abuse, medication and psychotherapy hadn't worked, and that I had (6 years ago) tried to commit suicide and self harmed, that I was impulsive, emotionally volitile, potencially violent, and manipulative. He told me I'd either get better of my own accord, and 10% of all suffers commit suicide.

I did put in a complaint, and I was told I was making it all up.

And now I can't get any treatment, because of the diagnosis. So you can maybe understand why I'd much rather be told I had complex PTSD
  • Options
    I would ask for a second referral, tbh.

Was the complaint to PALS?
  • Options
    I did and he talked to the first guy and confirmed the diagnosis. The complaint was to PALS
  • Options
    Just a quick reply.

Been taking pregablin, seems to helping a bit, but when I saw the CMN she said that I should up the dose when I next see the GP. She's referring me to the psycological therapies service to see what they can do, and rethink are coming to see me later this week to help me with the housing situation, and she doesn't think I do have BPD, and is going to referr me on to the psychiatrist to get a diagnosis review.

Getting there slowly...
  • Options
    that's so good to hear you're making progress with this albeit slow! Diagnosis, particularly in young people, can be difficult and wrong. It's always best to go with what's right for you, keep us informed Miss_Riot.

dp :heart:
  • Options
    So all my paperwork has been lost.

There is nothing on the system to say I've ever been diagnosed with BPD, which is a good thing in someways, but it also means I can't be referred on to anyone :(

I've got an appointment with rethink on tuesday so we'll see how that goes...but it doesn't feel like much is happening now...
  • Options
    Go back to your GP? See a different doctor if necessary, but persistence can pay off.
  • Options
    I've seen all 3 GPs, and it was the mental healther nurse that told me without paperwork she can't do anything... I'm going to call her and talk to her because I'm sure she has seen all my paperwork.

I'm looking in to seeing if its at all possible I can get a psychiatric assistance dog, I think it would be hugely helpful.
  • Options
    Ok, I saw the people from Rethink, they seem to think that they might be able to help me, but my case will need to taken to the board on this or next friday and they'll see from there.

A step in the right direction...I just had the horrible realisation that i could end up spending xmas in emergency housing :(

All benefits paperwork (bar DLA) is off in the post, and I just hope that it goes through...