Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

is it all right to become a recluse?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
how would that affect ones mental health?
how would others percieve it?
what if one ends all correspondence?

Comments

• Options
    how would that affect ones mental health?
    how would others percieve it?
    what if one ends all correspondence?

Almost all humans are born with a 'social' instinct and I think, therefore, one would need to look at why an individual would choose to become a recluse.

A person may become a recluse for many reasons. A misanthrope may be unable to tolerate human society, a survivalist may be practising self-sufficiency, and a criminal might hide away from people to avoid detection by police.

It can also be due to psychological reasons, such as social anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder, apathy, an autism spectrum disorder, a phobia, schizoid personality type, or avoidant personality disorder or even for religious reasons, becoming a hermit or an anchorite.

So before one can understand the possible harm to mental health etc, it would be important to understand the reasoning for choosing seclusion.

Are you referring to yourself?
  • Options
    welcome to thesite wasted superman :wave:

take a look around, check out some of the sticky thread and guidelines.

I think J@ke has given some good responses to your question, as with many things it all depends on the circumstances.

dp :heart:
  • Options
    im talking about myself yes J@ke
  • Options
    So what are your reasons for wanting to become a recluse?
  • Options
    J@ke wrote: »
    So what are your reasons for wanting to become a recluse?

i recently behaved appallingly towards a friend and now i have no allies. that is the most recent case. but its a life long history of failure.
  • Options
    Ah, so your reason to withdraw from society is likely be due to the social anxiety caused by your 'bad' behaviour?

Running away to be a recluse, so to speak, would not be the answer and I'm pretty sure it will play detrimentally on your mental health. You have unresolved issues but cutting yourself off from the world will not resolve them.

How old are you?