Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

STD vs Pregnacy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If a girl has gotten close enough to a guy to get pregnant by him, then how likely is it she's also caught any STD's he might have as well?

I'm assuming that it's easier to catch an STD in general then get pregnant?

I'm also assuming that it's easier for a woman to get an STD off a guy then a guy off a girl for the fact a woman has a much larger opening into the outside world then a man does?

Comments

• Options
    i wouldn't assume anything. Firstly, if you have had sex with someone unprotected then yes you are exposing yourself to STDs if they have any. Condoms can help here whether you are a man or a woman and reduce the risk of transmission.

If you are concerned that you may have contracted an STD then it is best to make your way to a GUM clinic or your Doctors to get checked out.

Male or female, if you are having sex without condoms with someone who is infected then the risk is there regardless of your 'opening'.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Benji wrote: »

I'm also assuming that it's easier for a woman to get an STD off a guy then a guy off a girl for the fact a woman has a much larger opening into the outside world then a man does?

Yep, as Summer says, best not to assume :)

It's really good that you're asking these questions. Check out the sexual health section of TheSite.org to get yourself more clued-up - http://www.thesite.org/sexandrelationships/safersex/sexualhealth

There's quite a lot of info about getting checked and specific STIs, I think a common issue for many of us is not being aware of what we don't know. :)
  • Options
    Its good to get checked out at the beginning of a new relationship regardless. It puts you both at peace of mind and gives a level of honesty to work from in a relationship. Does it really matter if your are female or male, if you have an STD you need to get treatment, if you don't you need to use protection to make sure it doesn't happen in future, and for contraceptive reasons.

Do what helen and summer raindrops said, it makes sense.
  • Options
    If a girl has gotten pregnant by a guy, then most likely she will have caught an std off him if he has one, however the opposite also applies. Girls can spread stds just as easily as guys if unprotected. If there's a risk of an std then best thing, like the others have said, is to get checked out by doctor/gp/gum clinic.