Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How to get tested for streptococcus?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone know how to get tested for streptococcus even if you don't have any symptoms?

Also what would happen if two people get together as a couple and one person (who has it) is immune to it and the other isn't?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Streptococcus is a type of bacteria, which as far as I'm aware, lives on our skin normally. I don't think its a case of one being immune and another not. Just because someone has had an infection before doesn't rule out they won't have another (but also doesn't mean they definately will have another infection either), and thus its unlikely to become totally immune. The infection starts when the bacteria passes into the bloodstream, via a wound, or a cough or a sneeze, and not washing hands after contact with someone whos actively infectious or in a environment where there may be actively infectious people i.e. a hospital.

If one person has had an infection, as long as they are recovered and non-infectious now i.e. about 24-48 hours after taking antibiotics, you are unlikely to get an infection directly from them.

Here are a list of symptoms just in case Link

I think you'll be fine, but if you're worried check it out with a doctor :)