Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Breastfeeding doll

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Americans are going a bit nuts over this.http://http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1370930/Parents-fury-totally-inappropriate-breastfeeding-doll-young-girls-goes-sale-U-S.html

Sorry about link, was only one i could find from uk.

What are peoples views, particularly parents? I would offer my opinion but i'm genuinely unsure what that is really. Despite knowing all the good stuff about Breast feeding I still get a bit squeamish about it, which i'm hoping that i will have got over by the time i need to seriously consider it.

so, thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    I think the doll is a little bit weird, but I support the general concept. I don't see why this should be any more shocking to people than a doll which you can bottle feed, and the fact that it is speaks volumes about the reasons behind the breastfeeding rates in this country. And wtf is sexual about it?! Are people mad? I would (and do) happily take my child to baby group where she will see any number of breastfeeding mothers, I would feed in front of her if I had another baby, and when she inevitably mimics what she sees and tries to breastfeed her dolls or teddies or lego bricks, I'll be ok with that too.

I wouldn't buy Superbaby the breastfeeding doll because I think it's ugly and a bit weird, but I would buy her a normal doll and be ok with her pretending to breastfeed it. I think the reaction from the majority of people that I have seen ridiculous. It teaches little girls about baby-making too early?! Doesn't having any kind of doll do that?

I like that people have been so outraged by this, but then happily buy their 3-year-old a Barbie doll, which is not only infinitely more sexual (hello boobies!), but also promotes the most horrendous image of an ideal body shape. Worth pointing out also that the doll has been out on the continent for a while already, was released with little or no fuss and is pretty popular - obviously Europeans are not as repressed as us, huh?
  • Options
    i think its cute. id buy it
  • Options
    It's weird, I think it could send the wrong message if the parents don't tell the child otherwise. I think the same is true of general girl toys that involve dolls, babies, prams etc. I think the clothes that are in the Disney store should cause more of a sour taste in people's mouths. High heels for a toddler? Skimpy clothing?

Kaff said pretty much what I was going to say. If parents are going to buy a child a toy, of anything, they should take responsibility of what it could be teaching the child and to set it straight.
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »
    I think the reaction from the majority of people that I have seen ridiculous. It teaches little girls about baby-making too early?! Doesn't having any kind of doll do that?

This. Little girls have been looking after dolls for years as though they were their own and there's already bottle fed dolls and ones that need their nappy changing etc, how is this any different? By opposing it, people are opposing breast feeding and teaching children about breast feeding and where babies come from etc, which is wrong imo. Kids dont have to necessarily know about sex etc but i see nothing wrong with teaching them how babies are made and what boobs are for, and i think this toy is good for that. At least it shows the natural function of breasts rather than teaching them to be sexualised objects
  • Options
    Americans are going a bit nuts over this?

I think that is a little far fetched. The only time I have ever seen or heard of this is on the "Worlds Dumbest" show that is a few years old. The article quotes a couple of people who say that the doll is fine, or at most, a little awkward.

I think it is a weird toy, so are the dolls that pee and even the ones you have to feed. But I was never much of a doll girl growing up, I had plastic fast food stands, that probably explains a lot of things... :p
  • Options
    most little girls (and one boy) ive met who have a baby sibling thats breastfed, pretend to breastfeed their dollies anyway. The only difference here is the sucking sound bib thingy, which is absolutely fine imo, as you get baby dolls that do that when you put a toy bottle in its mouth.

Anais pretends to bottle feed her babies cos thats all the paraphernalia that comes with the dolls, but ive told her that babies get milk from their mummies boobies
  • Options
    most little girls (and one boy) ive met who have a baby sibling thats breastfed, pretend to breastfeed their dollies anyway. The only difference here is the sucking sound bib thingy, which is absolutely fine imo, as you get baby dolls that do that when you put a toy bottle in its mouth.

Anais pretends to bottle feed her babies cos thats all the paraphernalia that comes with the dolls, but ive told her that babies get milk from their mummies boobies

:thumb:

Couldn't have said it better. If you can have a baby doll drop a log in its nappy then this is tame in comparison.

Dan
  • Options
    Sorry Manda, this is the headline where i got that statement from , it does suggest a bit of going nuts but i should know better :blush:
    http://http://rt.com/usa/news/breast-feeding-doll-baby-milk/
  • Options
    Didn't mean to sound rude, I suppose elsewhere they could be going nuts. I love reading about people going batshit crazy over lame stuff... oh don't mention the pregnant but unmarried Barbie scandal, I was actually more dissapointed that I hadn't read of it :p