Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Hard decision

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I spoke to someone today and told her one of the threats he gave me to keep quiet. He said he's going to hurt my younger cousin like he hurt me if I say anything. She's only 13 and I know that she wouldn't say anything if he did because she's not like that. I would rather he carried on abusing me that letting him hurt her because I don't want her to go through it.
Anyway, the woman I told said that lettig him carry on is not an option and that maybe the only way I can protect her is if I tell someone his name so he can get into trouble and he can get stopped. I realise she could be right but I want to believe there's another way because what if it backfires and he doesn't get into trouble? Then he will carry out the threat in case he already hasn't.
I'm no good at making simple decisions, and I have no idea what to do about this. I was just wondering if anyone else knows what I should do? I honestly don't think I'm brave enough to tell anyone his name.

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Sweetheart, this is no easy decision. Decisions like this will never be easy but you do have to think about your and your cousins safety. Who was the person that you spoke to? There are people out there who can help protect you and your cousin. This does need to stop, you cannot allow this person to keep hurting you or allow him to hurt anyone else. I think deep down you know what you have to do. xxx
  • Options
    It was the school nurse I spoke to, I used to talk to her when I was at sixth form but now I go down to the clinic to see her because I left at the beginning of this year. She said if I told her then it will be dealt with sensibly and in my own time but.. I don't think I could get the words out. I'm too scared. X
  • Options
    Sorry I thought I'd replied

I agree with Little Missy. If you don't say anything, he might hurt your cousin anyway.

Do you think you could write it down?
  • Options
    I think you know what you've got to do. I know for me it was a weight off my shoulders as if you don't report it you always think what if... Good luck with it :)
  • Options
    I don't know. It's already caused some arguments in my family so I'm guessing it's going to cause a lot more if I do say his name. I don't think I could write it down, I have a diary and I never seem to be able to write his name.
  • Options
    how do u know he isn't already abusing your cousin and manipulating the both of you to keep quiet?

there is lots of good advice in this thread. I have been in a similar situation and as an adult wish i could've said something at the time and saved other family members from horrible experiences. Stay strong x
  • Options
    Well I don't know he isn't already. I prefer not to think about that as it's my fault if he is and I'm trying to prevent it.
  • Options
    it is in no way your fault. none of it.
  • Options
    yeah, that's what everyone says.
  • Options
    because it's true. If someone hurts u it isn't ur fault.