Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Existential Crisis

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How do you solve yours?

I've been in this state for a few weeks.

ETA: Sorry if the title sounds pretentious...

Comments

• Options
    A little more info please...

What kind of existential crisis? the kind where you wonder what the meaning of life is, or the kind where you wonder what the meaning of your life is... Theres a whole world of difference there.
  • Options
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    A little more info please...

What kind of existential crisis? the kind where you wonder what the meaning of life is, or the kind where you wonder what the meaning of your life is... Theres a whole world of difference there.
    The meaning of life... The point of getting up in the morning.
  • Options
    To find the small things that are enjoyable. Currently I am getting up to spend time with my daughter and a couple of friends, as well as finding enjoyment from a couple of hobbies.

Do you have any special people in your life? And any hobbies?
  • Options
    No special people... In fact, I don't really have any close relationships either. It isn't that I hold people off, it's just we're all so busy and a lot of me old mates are settled in to relationships.

I have many hobbies... I run four times a week, I campaign, I enjoy film...

Maybe it is more personal human interaction I need, rather than an existentialist crisis I am facing...
  • Options
    Def start with increasing human interaction and then reassess.
  • Options
    What about your spiritual life? If i remember correctly, you used to be quite interested in exploring your spirituality.

I know that for me that I start to experience that feeling when I've neglected my own spiritual expressions. Finding things that help you see the beauty in life itself might be helpful too e.g. art, nature, human kindness (maybe taking part in something like the pay it forward movement might help).
  • Options
    Nope.

My Mum's a Buddhist, though I'm pretty much an atheist and not interested in religion. The more I learn, the more I'm convinced that there's no God and no meaning to the universe...

Not that either two of the above contradict Buddhism.

I don't really have time to investigate spirituality really... I don't really have an interest, or much time for art or spirituality.

I think what I'm gonna do, is try to cut down what I'm doing and meet new people. Maybe something will come of it... I'm also looking to change jobs, which would help.
  • Options
    Maybe by spirituality I meant philiosophy, in terms of reading inspiring texts (by anyone, from Einstein to Chicken soup for the soul) and taking time to reflect on stuff. Having time to reflect I think is the most important. You can quickly loose your sense of perspective if you have no time to reflect on how day to day things affect your life.
  • Options
    Like Miss_Riot said, perhaps the fact that you are so busy is making you wonder more? Doing simialr things everyday can get tedious at times and can make you think whats the reason for all this!

Try to take some time off if you can - go somewhere different for a day or two, meet old friends, perhaps try and make time for reconnecting - with people you love as well as with the beautiful things in life that we see everyday but take for granted.

:)
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Namaste wrote: »
    The meaning of life... The point of getting up in the morning.
    No idea. But it's worth to stay around as long as possible and see what new things come up. Maybe some day one of these things will the the answer, too.