Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Wisdom Tooth

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My wisdom tooth at the back of my mouth is half through and the gum is swollen and it's sore :rolleyes:

I'm thinking of going to a dentist, but in all honesty, I can't afford to pay hundreds for treatment...

Is there anything I can do?

Comments

• Options
    Brush it regularly, and well, and then regularly again, and then well again. Which will be uncomfortable while you do it, but 30 mins later should feel much better.

Then also buy a bottle of corsydol mouth wash, and use that as much as it says you can on the packet. If that's not convenient then corsydol gel is good too. The main reason for it hurting is that the germs that usually live in your mouth are meeting the raw gum that the tooth is attacking, so blasting it with brushing and corsydol should help a lot.
  • Options
    Also, Bonjela.

But don't do what my sister did, and squirt Savlon into your mouth. The tubes are the same colour, but Savlon does not taste good at all.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    My wisdom tooth at the back of my mouth is half through and the gum is swollen and it's sore :rolleyes:

I'm thinking of going to a dentist, but in all honesty, I can't afford to pay hundreds for treatment...

Is there anything I can do?

Teething gel.

Also what Scary said. She kept saying it to me and I never bothered getting the Corsodyl, but then I went to the dentist and he told me to buy that and it hasn't hurt since I used it for the first time.
  • Options
    Ha ha.

It's almost like I'm occasionally right and know what I'm talking about :p
  • Options
    Ha ha.

It's almost like I'm occasionally right and know what I'm talking about :p

Almost ;)
  • Options
    I second teething gel. I used to use it (my teeth are ok for now) and it was the only thing that actually worked.
  • Options
    it is also worth looking to see if there is a dental training hospital near to you. You can be seen there for no cost and check that they aren't infected or impacted.
  • Options
    LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    it is also worth looking to see if there is a dental training hospital near to you. You can be seen there for no cost and check that they aren't infected or impacted.

:yes: definitely worth getting it checked out, as if it is infected you may need anti-biotics. Mouth washing with warm salty water is supposed to help, check out this article for some more tips.

You'll need to keep your eye on it though because if it continues to cause you pain or there isn't enough space in your mouth for them you may have to have it removed in the future.

Hope the pain goes away soon, I know how it feels, and always think what's the point in them :)

LauraO
  • Options
    While what Laura has posted is valid - you'll generally have a reasonably good idea if it's infected as you'll get face swelling, generally ill feeling, and serious pain rather than just irritating ouch.

Doing the above won't help with infection - won't do any harm, but won't help, so it's worth a shot if you don't have easy access to an affordable dentist. (That and my dentist/mum won't even consider looking at mine until I've tried that for a couple of days first and got no improvement).
  • Options
    Mine got infected. And maannnnnnnnnnnnnnnn did I know about it.
  • Options
    Never had infection troubles. Just pain.