Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Headaches

Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
I am currently dealing with rather a rather horrible headache that won't seem to piss off.

I was off school 2 weeks ago for two days with the headaches and it disappeared over the weekend. This last week was fine until Thursday when I started to get tinges of it, then on Friday my mood completely crashed and I broke down Friday night. I've been in a lot of pain since then and I don't know what has caused it.

At first I thought it was the pill as I've just started it, but I got the headaches a week before I started taking it. I dunno if it could be something like anaemia or anxiety but I'm not really worried I just don't like being in physical pain when there's mental shit to deal with as well.

Anyone got any advice??

Merci.
X

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Are you eating and drinking enough?
  • Options
    Drinking was also something I ruled out, as the headaches continued eventhough i was drinking more than 500 mls of water a day during school. My eating has been no different than it has been for the last two years, so I very much doubt it's that, but I'm no doctor.

Thank you for replying :heart:
    X
  • Options
    There are so many things headaches can indicate, it's best to see your GP.

In the mean time, the best headache tablets I've found are Boots tension headache tablets. You can only take them for three days but they might tide you over until you get to the doctor's.

Melian asked if you're eating properly, not whether your eating habits have changed. Not eating regularly and properly can cause problems so don't assume your headaches are unrelated if that's the case.
  • Options
    I've got a doctors appointment for about 3 weeks time, so I'm just gonna hold out 'til then. It's not like it stops me from moving so it should be fine.

I eat breakfast on weekdays, no lunch, dinner, and a snack under 80 calories after dinner. On a weekend, I normally have a slice of toast with jam around 12 then one snack under 80 calories before dinner, then dinnner.
  • Options
    Also, thank you for replying x
  • Options
    It doesn't sound to me like you're eating enough. You should be having about 1500-2000 calories a day including five portions of fruit and vegetables and I'm not sure you could be getting all that from what you describe.

I would be inclined to see your doctor before that appointment in three weeks' time, but it's your decision.
  • Options
    What kind of headaches are they? Where do you tend to feel the pain? Do you have any other symptoms with the headache, such as visual or aural symptoms?

It would be worth considering tension headaches, they can come on as a result of stress/anxiety and can be quite dogged and intense. Not only can they give you head pain, they can also give you various other head sensations too. You may also find stiffness or tension in your neck or shoulders (I think the trapezius muscle plays a bit part in all of this).
  • Options
    Like a constant thudding a guess, varying from an ache to a sharp pain. It was normally around my whole head, but recently its been sharp stabbing towards the back of my head. No visual or aural, but I've been feeling nauseous, tired and drained, and more irritable, and my moods haven't been brilliant. Also, I don't know if this is related but I've been getting a lot of bruises on my legs, even when I've been paying special attention not to bang them, just so I could see what's been causing them. I've got 3 or 4 that are particularly bad, really purple and tinged red, and they seem to stay that colour as they fade.

I haven't notice any pains or tension in my neck or shoulders, I get quite tense around the shoulders when I crave, but that went as soon as I had a cigarette. As for head sensations, would that include pressure behind the ears? That's something that has been bothering me since the headaches started, sometimes it didn't fade when my headache calmed a bit. It wouldn't surprise me if this is from stress of anxiety, I have exams soon and I'm quite worried about them, as well as a few other things, such as steps towards counselling to get help for other things. I've never been diagnosed with anxiety, but I started having panic attacks about 9 months ago, and I experience paranoid and anxious feelings that stop me continuing with normal things. Whether or not this is anxiety I don't know.

Thank you for replying.
    X
  • Options
    Anna, the more you post the more I'd be inclined to get an emergency or at least earlier appointment with your doctor. There's a lot to check out. It might turn out to be tension headaches (I get killer ones when my anxiety is bad) but that's not for us to say definitively.
  • Options
    Your symptoms match up to my migranes that I was told that I definately had in hospital. However, the length of time they have lasted indicates that there could be an underlying problem. I am no doctor myself but I would strongly suggest that you book an emergency appointment.
    Good luck, I know how hard it can be having a throbbing, overwhelming headache xxx
  • Options
    The bruises on your legs could be due to your eating issues and / or weight. I had a lot of bruises on my legs when I had anorexia.
  • Options
    go see a neurologist. It could be migraine.
  • Options
    You can't just see a neurologist like that. You'd have to see your GP and thye'll decide what happens next.

Migraine also tends to have aural as well. I always got that.
  • Options
    I've been diagnosed with depression, so they could just be down to stress or other stuff. I have a week off school, so I'm gonna see how it goes. I'm getting them everyday but they're not really stopping me doing anything.
    Thanks x