Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

It is better to have loved...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
and lost than to have never loved at all ?

I think it was Tennyson that said this.

I haven't had a romantic relationship yet, so am not sure if this is true or not.

Thought I would throw it out for thoughts/discussion.

For those who are/have been in love what is it like ?

I guess I'm asking as I haven't had these experiences yet.

Comments

• Options
    I think that depends on when you ask someone. If you ask someone straight after they've been dumped then they are unlikely to hold this opinion. In general though I'd say it's a fair statement. Though most people I'm sure will have the odd regret.

As for being in love - when it is mutual then it's having someone as the centre of your life, and knowing that you are the centre of theirs.
  • Options
    It was Seneca, according to my GCSE Latin text book. No doubt Tennyson quoted him.

Inclined to agree even though I handle rejection pretty badly.
  • Options
    You learn from loving relationships - whether they're bad or good, whether you love them or not, whether you two work out or don't. A person should always come away with something positive from the experience.
  • Options
    I agree with it entirely.

Also agree with Piccolo, Seneca definitely beat Tennyson to it.

Magis gauderes quod habueras, quam moereres quod amiseras
  • Options
    Usually I agree with it.

Right now I'd rather have been a hermit my whole life.
  • Options
    Having loved and lost is better than having just loved. How can you properly appreciate something until you know what it's like to lose it?
  • Options
    mykeee wrote: »
    Having loved and lost is better than having just loved. How can you properly appreciate something until you know what it's like to lose it?

Agreed! I've had rubbish relationships but they have made me appreciate the good ones all the more
  • Options
    I agree with the points made about learning. It's always good to learn, it should make you stronger and more equipped and should make you better able to grasp and secure future opportunities. As long as you take the right lessons from each situation, which may require guidance. It's possible to learn bad habits as well as good ones. The enemies when it comes to losing love are bitterness, shame, self doubt and fear. The natural instinct is often to withdraw and to not trust. There is arguably a place for both of those, but there is a time to put yourself back in the game and it sometimes takes encouragement to put yourself back there. The realisation that it doesn't make you stupid or weak to trust people is one that perhaps makes you able to handle losing love without losing the good things about yourself. There is little chance of love without the ability to trust. What makes this easier is learning that you can cope with heartbreak. It feels like hell on earth but it invariably isn't the end of all things and it is a great strength to know that it won't be. Knowing that you will get through it is a massive reinforcement to your ability to trust people, because if the worst happens you know you will survive.
  • Options
    It is good to be loved buddy .
    You should have a lover in your life that will make your life feel good all the time :)
    chino hills boot camp
  • Options
    Its all a learning experience.
  • Options
    mykeee wrote: »

Exactly.
  • Options
    id rather have loved and lost
  • Options
    So what does it feel like being in love if there is a way of describing it ?